The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 2, 2013, 07:55 PM   #1
American Red Neck

Time to uprgrade..out of boredem

Hey guys my sig m400 shoots great but i am going to order a daniel defense 16 in. barrel and a young mfg chrome bolt carrier group. is the bcg a good choice with this barrel and of course i gotta ask if you think headspace will check out. my buddy has a go and no go gauge that i can barrow off of him but will i need a field gauge as well?
Old June 2, 2013, 09:15 PM   #2
sailskidrive

Are you swapping out the barrel or the entire upper? I seriously doubt the DD barrel is of higher quality than the Sig barrel; they're probably comparable.
Hk USP 45 Expert, USP 40, USP 9, SIG P226, S&W M&P9, Hk 4, Makarov, Desert Eagle 40, Beretta FS92 Centurion, Kimber TLEII 1911A1, Glock 22, SIG P225, 1943 Rem Rand 1911A1, S&W mod 64, Walther PPQ, SIG P229, Browning BDA 45 (SIG P220), Hk45, SIG P230
Old June 2, 2013, 09:37 PM   #3
Fishbed77

You just got this AR and you are already replacing the barrel? Sounds like a waste of money unless you've shot the approx 20,000+ rounds that it will take to wear out a carbine barrel. That's about $14,000 worth of ammo at today's prices.

A 1:7 chrome-lined 16" DD barrel will be no better than the 1:7 chrome-lined 16" barrel that came on your M400.

Last edited by Fishbed77; June 2, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 10:50 PM   #4
American Red Neck

ok then. that sounds good. ok well i still want a spare bolt carrier group that will work in my m400 barrel. or just the bolt but i hear if you change the bolt you should change the carrier as well so they wear the same together. And i can barrow a go and no-go gauge will that be enough to check headspace or should i get a field as well.
Old June 3, 2013, 12:07 AM   #5
HKFan9

I would buy ammo or accessories or an optic or a light.... or something.... your barrel and bolt carrier group are of good construction... chances are you wont even be running the gun long enough or hard enough for it to come into play (full auto and/or suppressed).
Old June 3, 2013, 12:14 AM   #6
American Red Neck

..true but i do shoot about 10 to 15 thousand rounds per year and i dont even compete. i really should start competing so all this shooting is worth while other than just expensive entertainment. does anyone know about any kind of ar-15 type tournaments near humboldt county?
Old June 3, 2013, 09:01 AM   #7
Quentin2

In which state?
Old June 3, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
i hear if you change the bolt you should change the carrier as well so they wear the same together.
Typically, when a bolt breaks (they don't usually "wear" out - they just break by shearing off a lug or two), there is no need to replace the carrier. Just the bolt.

Generally, when you replace the barrel, you should replace the bolt as well. You want a new bolt with a new barrel so they wear together.

The rule of thumb is that it's OK to run a new bolt in an old barrel, but not an old bolt in a new barrel.
Old June 3, 2013, 11:49 AM   #9
BigJerm79

He's a Kommiefornia boy just like me! So, Redneck, given the current state of our um, state, I would agree with what's been said. Chrome BCG's are not cheap and are pretty hard to find. You really want to dump extra $$ on something extra for your sweet little Sig, get extra AMMO! I mean, you can do what you want, obviously...it's your money. But I'm just sayin'. There' s a whole lot going on in our state right now. I don't know how the stock at Pacific Outfitters or Wildwood are at the moment, but it was pretty damn slim the last time I was up there in early April.

At the same time, it sounds like you wear out barrels in 2 years time... so maybe the extra BCG & barrel is a good idea. Idk, I wish we didn't have to worry about this crap and everything was plentiful and we didn't have make these kinds of choices. Sorry for rambling or not helping you at all...just stuff to think about.

J
Old June 3, 2013, 04:54 PM   #10
American Red Neck

Hello fellow Humboldtian. Have you head that the ban of bullet buttons and rim fire and semi auto's has actually passed the senate in cali. Have you heard anything on this? If this happens me and the militia i belong to are ***** ** ** ** * ***** *** ***** * **********. Only about 1/8th of the country's population actually know what is going on with out government and actually care to stand up for our rights.
And ya I have plenty of ammo. If a bolt WAS going to shear a bolt right off the bat wouldn't this happen within the first few hundred rounds? Since it is a sig and quality is assumed to be very good how many rounds should i expect to get out of my bolt. When at the range i don't dump mags, I shoot slow and be a marksmen. Only one time when I first shot it i dumped a full mag to put some heat to the barrel.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:45 PM   #11
ThatBeardedGuy

You're probably not abusing that Sig barrel enough to justify replacing it with a new one. Especially if they're the same length. I'd get it if you were converting to an SBR-type rifle, but there's no need to do a 1 for 1 swap on the barrel if it's brand new.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:29 PM   #12
American Red Neck

ok. sounds good. if you get faulty parts on a new rifle such as bolts; if they were faulty, how many rounds would it take for them to break? 5? 50? 500 rounds? just curious. i like to have spare parts just in case.
Old June 3, 2013, 08:33 PM   #13
ThatBeardedGuy

Well, yeah, if you've got the money to burn, pick up some extra parts, but you can't put a number on when a piece of a weapon will suffer a catastrophic failure if it's faulty. It'll just break. Like I've said elsewhere, I've seen a perfectly good Colt M4 explode (probably a squib load), but unless you're buying extremely cheap components, you're going to be fine. As with everything, you get what you pay for with firearms. Since you bought a Sig, I suspect you're not buying cheap components.

"We're gonna turn left!!" - NASCAR, in a nutshell.