The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old April 4, 2013, 12:21 PM   #1
PPQ226guy

Got bit by the bug again,,,layaway is the debbil!

Stopped by my LGS toady as sa they hada new Lipsey’s Ruger Bisley Super Blackhawk 44 Magnum with 3.75 Inch Barrel on the shelf. I had to play with it of course and I ended up putting it on layaway. I have to say that gun felt better in my hand than any gun I've held in a long time, if not ever. Can't wait to get it out (crossing figers for this Saturday!). It balances great and I like the button style cylinder pinand pinned front sght too. Always wanted a non-fluted Blackhawk ! I guess I've become a true revolver man now.

Last edited by PPQ226guy; April 4, 2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old April 4, 2013, 02:32 PM   #2
Salmoneye

Nice...
Old April 5, 2013, 10:17 AM   #3
rem44m

It's purrdy!

"If gun owners are as violent as anti-gunners said we are, there wouldn't be any anti's left"
Old April 5, 2013, 10:28 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm fairly utilitarian in my firearms assessments, but that one even made ME go "oooohhhhhh, that's nice!"
Old April 11, 2013, 06:01 PM   #5
PPQ226guy

Thanks guys.

Something comes to mind,,,I realize it will be "interesting" shooting it with a short barrel @ 44 oz. but I wonder if there will be any practical recoil/velocity difference compared to a 4" gun?
Old April 11, 2013, 06:11 PM   #6
David13

That does look quite nice.
I'm sorta old, and I never put anything on 'layaway'. Nothing, ever.
But I guess if you are talking about one week, then it's ok.
I have a 10 day wait on one from last week, but I paid in full, so it's sort of a 'layaway'.
dc
Old April 11, 2013, 06:47 PM   #7
Flyboy_451

PPQ226guy,

I have had one of those for about a year now. It is one of my favorite totin' around guns. Easy to pack and shoots quite well. Paper plates at 100 yards are very doable.

A few notes on some things that it may need...

First is a trigger job. If you are used to and don't mind the heavy pull that is typical on many firearms, you may not find it needed, but IMO, anything more than about four pounds and very clean and crisp release is unacceptable.

If you intend to shoot cast bullets, 2 to 1 says you will want to firelap it. I shoot cast bullets exclusively, and have found that firelapping is worth the time spent doing it. Cleaning is easier and accuracy is better.

You may have trouble finding a holster that fits it well without having excess holster intended for a longer barreled gun. Mine is a custom made affair thanks to a family member that does wonderful leather work. A good stiff belt, a comfortable holster and a belt slide for at least enough spare ammo for one reload makes a great package!

As for recoil, I shoot a lot of big bore single actions, so what I say may not agree with your experience, but I do not find the recoil bad at all with my general purpose load consisting of a 250 Keith bullet at about 1,200fps. This load will take care of about anything I want to tackled with a .44. It's not abusive, is accurate and plenty powerful for most applications. If I need more power, I step up to a larger caliber and heavier bullet.

Enjoy the new "toter", I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine!

JW
Old April 11, 2013, 06:52 PM   #8
PPQ226guy

Flyboy_451,

Many thanks for the feedback. That's certainly good to hear.
Old April 11, 2013, 07:34 PM   #9
Flyboy_451

PPQ226guy,

you are certainly welcome. I did a sneak peek of some of your other postings and it seems that we share a similar love of wheel guns. Mine currently range from .22lr up to .475 Linebaugh and awaiting a 500 Linebaugh from Dustin Linebaugh. Almost all of mine are single actions, with the majority being Rugers, but there are a couple of Freedom Arms, one BFR and one Uberti in the mix as well.

I cast and reload for all of mine, thus the comment about sooting cast bullets exclusively. I'm not saying I am the local expert, but any other help I can be to you, please let me know. If it's available in a single action, I have probably at least shot it, if I don't own it. Good luck!

JW
Old April 11, 2013, 09:57 PM   #10
PPQ226guy

Fly boy_451.

Thanks so much I really appreciate that. I am concerned over finding some nice leather to carry it. I admit I didn't consider the odd barrel length at the time I saw it. I would not want one that simply "fits".
Old April 12, 2013, 09:26 AM   #11
Flyboy_451

There are many custom leather crafters that can make a holster for you. It won't be cheap, but it will be nice, most likely. I will try to post some pics of the rig I use, and if you are interested, I can talk to my uncle about making one for you. I THINK he typically charges about $45 for holsters.

If you have a particular design you would like mimicked, he will try to get it as close as he can, and is of course welcome to use my gun as a pattern.

JW
Old April 12, 2013, 10:21 AM   #12
mxsailor803

OOOOO..... Shiny!
Old April 12, 2013, 02:15 PM   #13
blfuller

Them Bisley grips are great.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:23 PM   #14
PPQ226guy

Thanks again all.

Fly boy_451,

I look forward to seeing your holster, Thanks so much for the kind offer
Old April 13, 2013, 12:43 AM   #15
TennJed

I am gonna have to get me one of those Bisley gusn one day. Every time I hold one in the store I am like you, the feel and balance is just perfect