The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old September 4, 2010, 06:29 PM   #1
mdell2

Cutting a chrome lined barrel?

I have a Colt 6920 and am considering making it into an 10.5 inch SBR. I have looked around and found uppers with the barrel for $600 to $700. However, two different places I went to advised that for about $80 to $150 I could have the current barrel cut and re-threaded and it would be as good as new. They said may pros go this route and even provided me with gunsmiths that specialize in this type of work. Since I have no idea, I trust you ladies and gentlemen that do know will guide me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any help.
Old September 4, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
VUPDblue

Keep in mind that you will also have to relocate the gas ports. This will require someone who is competent with the AR platform and may (will likely) require some tuning. IMHO you would be better served getting either a new barrel or complete upper from a company reputable in dealing with that length barrel. Might I suggest Bravo Company USA?
Old September 4, 2010, 08:51 PM   #3
n7qvu

If you use a carbine barrel(16"), then the gas port is approx 8.25". so no reason to re-locate it for a 10.5". Maybe enlarge it some.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old September 4, 2010, 09:27 PM   #4
VUPDblue

My mind's eye was picturing enlarging but my fingers were typing relocating them...
Old September 5, 2010, 09:28 AM   #5
n7qvu

I just bought a cheap $89. 16" barrel from Sportsman Guide. It looks like it would be a good candidate to cut down to around 11" (M4 profile) and re-thread.
Might be a good project for next couple of weeks.
JWsGUNs.com FFL-07, NFA SOT-C2.
Old September 8, 2010, 01:08 PM   #6
AFrankart

Adco Firearms is experienced with shortening chrome lined barrels. They did an excellent job for me.
Old September 8, 2010, 01:58 PM   #7
demigod

11.5 is a more reliable SBR package. But if you really want 10.5, I'd run the LMT complete upper. It's got a pretty good reputation in the 10.5 category.

BravoCompanyUSA sells them, and you could sell your 6920 upper to offset the price... or just keep it.
Old September 22, 2010, 03:21 PM   #8
threecharley

heck you might be able to cover the cost selling your 6920 upper some people live and breath colt. jmho but i haven't priced a lmt shorty in awhile. i'm a POF/COLT LWRC fan.
Old September 22, 2010, 03:36 PM   #9
RWBlue01

The last time I looked into this, it cost more to get the barrel cut and threaded then it cost for a new barrel with the correct everything.

Personally, I find myself collecting the different uppers and not getting rid of anything. Sometimes you feel like a 20inch HBAR. Sometimes you feel like you want to shoot something lighter.
Old September 22, 2010, 03:51 PM   #10
threecharley

No kiddin rw, i do the switcheroo almost monthly just seeing what combos look and fit the shoot that i'm doin. sure is a great hobby. GOD BLESS THE USA ! AND OUR TROOPS
Old September 22, 2010, 08:32 PM   #11
superchi

Quote:
Keep in mind that you will also have to relocate the gas ports.
This is not true if you're cutting a 6920, which uses a carbine-length gas system, to 10.5" which would still use a carbine-length gas system. In order for it run reliably though, you may need to have the gas port diameter opened up.

ETA:
ADCO charges $65 to have the barrel cut, threaded, and recrowned to your specs if the barrel is uninstalled from the upper. I believe they charge a bit extra if you send in a complete upper to have work done that requires disassembly. From what I've read over on AR15.com, they get nothing but good reviews as well.

A link to their forum on AR15.com:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=2&f=130

and a link to their website:
http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopserv...op_.cfm?code=1

Last edited by superchi; September 22, 2010 at 08:42 PM.
Old September 22, 2010, 11:57 PM   #12
threecharley

I would buy a shorty barrel and keep the colt original barrel so if you ever want to convert it back for sale purposes you could.