The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old November 30, 2005, 01:08 PM   #1
RickB

Sauer Behoerden

My future wife's brother-in-law found one of these in his father's effects. It is a neat little pre-WWII pocket pistol, made in fairly limited numbers, and issued to police, military officers, etc. A rep from "the" Sauer collector organization said this particular one, based on serial number and/or an acceptance stamp, was issued to Prussian police. There are no import marks, and it is extremely clean on the inside, and about 75% on the outside. It has a loaded-chamber indicator, that consists of a spring-loaded pin at the top-rear of the breechblock, then another piece that spans the gap between the plunger and the chamber. The second piece is retained by a cross pin. The gun in my possession has the retaining pin, but the front half of the indicator is missing. The Behoerden was a development of an earlier Sauer pistol that did not have the loaded-chamber indicator, so I suspect the part is pretty rare. But, if anyone has a source for Sauer parts, either in the US or Europe, please post. Thanks
Old November 30, 2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Not sure about it but Numerich Arms (search) may have the parts.

Does the attached look similar to what you have?

HJN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WWII SAUER PISTOL.jpg (145.2 KB, 47 views)
Old November 30, 2005, 04:34 PM   #3
RickB

Roughly similar in outline. I think that's a Model 38, DA, and the Behoerden is a development of the earlier, single action Model 30. The gentleman with the collector organization said he's looking for one too, and hadn't found one in the US or Europe, so I was hoping for some "insider" info as to a source. I wll try Numrich, though. Thanks
Old December 1, 2005, 10:38 AM   #4
tinker2

It sounds like you could have one made by a good smith
if you can’t find one. It may have been removed because
they can interfere with feeding into the chamber.
Good luck with it.
Happy Holidays
Old December 1, 2005, 11:58 AM   #5
RickB

I have a scale drawing of the part, and I'm sure a replacement could be made, but it would be nice to find an original. Thanks for the tips.
Old December 5, 2005, 11:47 PM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

Just a word to the wise. Buy some snap caps for that gun, as the firing pins often break, and it is not really possible to "ease" them down. I think the firing pin for the older model will work, but even they are salty, running around $30.

Jim
Old December 6, 2005, 01:02 PM   #7
RickB

I've had the gun apart, and the firing pin, along with the rest of the internals, looks almost pristine. The guy who owns the gun isn't a shooter, so it will probably be shot only rarely; I'm much more concerned that he no longer stores it in the musty, 50yo holster that it was in when I got it. Still, I'll warn him about excessive dry-fire. Thanks