The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 11, 2013, 05:53 PM   #1
Kevin_d77

HK Conundrum

So I just picked up my police trade in HK USP40 from Palmetto State. Beautiful condition, 2007 born on date, 3 mags and fully functional night sights all for $429. Only problem is that it's a V3 which if I am correct, the decocker should be on the left hand side so righties can operate it. Mine came with the decocker on the right hand side of the frame. I understand it can be swapped with new parts but that costs additional money and they're back ordered. I don't want to swap guns because this one is pristine! Should I contact CS tomorrow and ask for store credit or something?

Any ideas?
Old July 11, 2013, 05:57 PM   #2
UncleEd

check HK sites, forums to see if decocker is reversible.

Seems to me if I remember HK is very good at trying to please everyone.
Old July 11, 2013, 06:27 PM   #3
Bentonville

I believe they are ambidextrous. If so, they you can just switch it to the preferred side. Check on HKPro.com. Those guys know HK inside and out. Also you could call HK at 706-568-1906 and ask for Customer Service or Travis Teague or email Sam Bass at [email protected]. These guys and Link are really professional, efficient, and concerned. They can help you if no one else can. Check the Forum, too. Good luck. You will really like your new pistol.
Old July 11, 2013, 06:42 PM   #4
Kevin_d77

Thanks guys! The little bit of research I've done since after work says that they can be switched but you need to buy a part. I plan on doing some more research now but figured someone in the grat knowledge bank here may know.

Can't wait to get out and shoot it. Picked that up today and a CZ82 two days ago! Looks like I will be having a good weekend!
Old July 11, 2013, 11:08 PM   #5
HK_Flo

Do you need the one without the "safe" position (decocker only)? I have an extra right handed lever form a V1. I put in an ambi lever.

Also for clarity:

Quote:
USP Variants:
Variant 1:
 Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decoking lever) on left side of frame.

Variant 2: 
Double action/single action with "SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety/decocking lever) on right side of frame.

Variant 3: 
Double action/single action without "SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on left side of frame.

Variant 4: 
Double action/single action without ”SAFE” position. Control lever (decocking lever) on right side of frame.

Variant 5: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on left side of frame.

Variant 6: 
Double action only with ”SAFE” position. Control lever (manual safety) on right side of frame.

Variant 7: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)

Variant 8: 
Double action without control lever (no manual safety/decocking lever)
SPECIAL VARIANT FOR GOVERNMENT AGENCY

Variant 9: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on left side of frame.

Variant 10: 
Double action/single action with control lever (manual safety/no decocking function) on right side of frame.
Old July 12, 2013, 06:39 AM   #6
Kevin_d77

I don't need it to have the safe position but that was the one I was looking at getting. Mine is V4 and I just want the controls on the left side since I am right handed so V1 or V3.
Old July 12, 2013, 09:38 AM   #7
ScotchMan

It is a different part (think about it, the lever would be different).

I would hang onto the gun and get the lever. If they are sold out everywhere, call HK and they will hook you up. They are all reversible, thats why all USPs have that characteristic white line on both sides. You can also get an ambi set that has it on both sides.

While you are at it, I would recommend getting the extended magazine release, it makes a huge difference.

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Left-...9-265p1169.htm

http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Exten...s-265p1669.htm

NRA Instructor
NRA Member
Old July 12, 2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Kevin_d77

I just got off the phone w Palmetto State Armory. They sais they would pay for the part and installation of the part to make it right. Can't ask for much more than that. I told them just to give me store credit and I would handle the rest. The fact that its V4 is probably the reason its so darn pristine! It had dust in the magwell!!!

Can't wait to shoot it some!
Old July 13, 2013, 10:05 AM   #9
Kevin_d77

Take her out to the range today. Might bring my XD out too as a comparison since that's my only other 40. Wife is bringing her Shield and asked me to bring my Baby Eagle since that's fun for the whole family! Should be a good day! I'm guessing since its a lefty it hasn't been shot a whole Lot! That's good for me since the price was so right!

Old August 20, 2013, 11:48 AM   #10
Kevin_d77

So HK sent me an email stating that the V3 decocker is back in stock. Are there any other pieces I need to order to switch from V4 to V3 besides the lever? Is this a relatively easy process (ie can I do it at home w limited tools and experience)?
Old August 20, 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
CharlieDeltaJuliet

Hk customer support have been great to me. Glad hey helped you. I only own 3 HK's but plan on many more...
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 20, 2013, 08:06 PM   #12
seeker073180

<---kicking self for not picking one (or two) of these up.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:19 AM   #13
Kevin_d77

Soooooooo anyone do this swap??
Old August 22, 2013, 07:53 AM   #14
USMCGrunt

Hmm, H&K customer service has been great to you too, eh? Yeah, my USP-40C was bought used, came missing a few parts, called H&K about it, offered to PAY for the part for this USED gun but they still sent me out replacement parts for FREE and had them within the week! Stories about H&K poor customer service and "because we're HK and we hate you" are nothing but BS spouted by the haters! Everything I have seen first hand says the opposite!!!
Now as far as swapping out the safeties, it's not as hard as some people have made it out to be. The hardest problem I had was trying to read the poor photocopy of the USP armorers manual I had. Now this was back around the mid 90's when I swapped out my standard safety lever for an ambidextrous lever so I would think that a search on Youtube might have some results on doing this job. Again, haters will scream that the USP is complicated and you need to have an engineering degree and what not to work on them but again, that's just not so. While they are a little more in depth than a Glock, they're not the complexity that many haters will make it out to be.
Old August 22, 2013, 08:43 AM   #15
CharlieDeltaJuliet

I ordered the extended hand guard for the MR556/416 ($500). Well FedEx left itat the wrong house. I was at home waiting on it. The driver pulls up and said "oh $**t. He was a subcontractor so he didn't care. He said "I have to go get your package".well by that time it was gone. I called Hk. They overnighted me a new one. They also made a FedEx supervisor drive two hours to retrieve the other, he did. I had a competition on Saturday, they had the new rail there first thing Saturday morning. All of the lost package deal happened on Friday. Hk went out of their way to fix FedEx's mistake. Since then only real FedEx drivers have been in my area, no more subcontractors out of their cars.
..." - Thomas Jefferson
Old August 22, 2013, 09:03 AM   #16
Kevin_d77

Well to be clear, I have never dealt with HK customer service. I requested an email staring when a part came back in on the HK Parts website and ordered it. However, Palmetto State Armory gave me terrific CS. That is where I ordered the USP from.

I like the USP but I am certainly not in love with it. I wouldn't give up my Sig or Baby Eagle for it and (for now) I shoot my XD better than it as well (also have probably 5 times the round count thru it). But, it was a great value at 429 w three mags and night sights so I will def hang on to it.

Any other mods anyone can suggest? This will most likely stay a range gun for the immediate future as its pretty large to carry
Old August 22, 2013, 09:13 AM   #17
Tactical Jackalope

Don't have info for you on the matter...But I did get the exact some gun as you did a few years back at the fairgrounds gun show. Hk USP 40...cool gun when I used to like 40.
Old August 22, 2013, 09:17 AM   #18
Kevin_d77

I think I lucked out getting a lefty model as it looks as it has hardly been shot. A quick, fully refundable (by PSA) part swap and its like hitting the USP lotto!

I mean, its a cool gun w relatively tame recoil but I'm not overly impressed. Only have two .40's, the USP and a 4" service XD. I don't mind the 40 but have been gravitating more towards 9 rights now. And mil-surp but that's a disease that's new to me.....
Old August 22, 2013, 12:12 PM   #19
RC20

I never though much of the in between calibers.

Years back a 45 before SD ammo became so effective (or equalized the effectiveness).

40 doesn't get you anything over a 9mm so when I got my modern semi it was in the 9mm caliber and formally I was all big bore (41 magnum, 44, 45 etc)

As I view them as tools, my take is more round allows you more latitude in options for just making noise, suppressing fire and still leave you plenty of rounds for actually attempting to hit someone (and variations of all those so not in any order other than whats dictated by the situation). If I think one shot into the floor is what will discourage someone I am happy to do that).

note though I am not a spare clip advocate for SD. Trying to deal with a situation in the night waking up is bad enough without trying to manage a spare clip that has a 99.9% change of not being needed.
Old August 22, 2013, 07:17 PM   #20
kcub

the 9 and the 45 are basically WW2; hell WW1 relics

the calibers of choice for cops who may have to shoot into or out of a vehicle are the .357 Sig and .40
Old August 22, 2013, 08:11 PM   #21
Kevin_d77

Well, the V3 piece came in today early. Lets just say I am not very experienced doing anything more than field stripping guns, I installed some springs once and fixed an extractor....but that's all. It took me 15 mins flat to disassemble and reassemble the entire gun with the correct decocker. I was impressed with the simple design of the internals on the USP and I was also I pressed with how quickly I did it *pats self on back*
Old August 22, 2013, 09:42 PM   #22
TunnelRat

Quote:
I was impressed with the simple design of the internals on the USP and I was also I pressed with how quickly I did it *pats self on back*
I've always found HKs relatively straightforward to work on. They're nowhere near as simple as a Glock, but after one or two times it's pretty easy.
Maintain situational awareness