The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2006, 07:02 AM   #1
Rogmatt

Leapers, Nikko Stirling, & Millett

Does anyone have any kind of review good or bad they can offer on the above mentioned scopes? Thanks for any feedback.
Old November 30, 2006, 08:31 AM   #2
rezmedic54

Leapers

I have a Leapers tactical scope ( SPC3 4x16x56 ) on my K-98 and I really like it. Holds zero well,optics are clear and so far it's been a great scope I picked it up from Cheaperthandirt.com for way less than a Leo or any other high dollar scope. I do have it mounted with Millet High Extension rings on a mount they don't make any more. The Millet rings true up nicely with very little lapping to bring them into 100% contact. So IMHO it was worth the money but then again who the heck am I. Be Safe Out There Kurt
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old November 30, 2006, 09:06 AM   #3
FirstFreedom

I have a friend (dead now) who swore that Millett's were great values, and worked well for him. I have a Millett "Gold" on a rifle, but can't say, as I haven't wrung it out yet. I hear that Down Under, peeps like the Nikko-Stirlings a lot. You can add Barskas to your list there, and I'd be curious about more answers on these - do you get what you pay for, or a bit more than you pay for?
Old December 1, 2006, 02:03 AM   #4
LAK Supply

The Leapers scopes have worked pretty well for me, as have the Millett. I had a Millett on my varmint gun and it never let me down. I have heard less than complimentary things about Millett from other shooters, but haven't had any bad experiences myself.
Probably the BEST value in scopes right now is Nikon. They have some excellent scopes at very good prices. You can get a variety of scopes in the Buckmaster line for between $200-$300, and they are awesome!!!
What are you wanting to use the scope for? Knowing an application would help. If you let me know I can give you more info. Lance
Old December 1, 2006, 09:53 PM   #5
Mannlicher

cheap scopes are cheaply made. simple as that. While they may work for awhile, they won't last. Yeah, I know, there are guys that swear their Swift, or Tasco, or Leapers scope is the cat's meow, but then this IS the internet.........
It is actually more cost efficient to buy a quality scope up front, than to buy several cheapies over the years.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 1, 2006, 11:02 PM   #6
LAK Supply

You are probably correct about the long-term value of low-end scopes. Any low-dollar scopes that I have owned came with purchased guns. Two were Leapers scopes, and one was a Millett. However, none of these saw any extended use from me due to the fact that I never owned them for long after the guns were purchased. While I did not have any problems in the time that they were on my weapons, I could not attest to their long-term quality.

Although it would be nice if everyone could go out and buy a Mark 4 when they wanted a scope, this is not usually the case (I definitley know it's not for me, and I'm a Leupold dealer!!).

However, a happy middle ground is usually attainable, which is the reason I gave Nikon a plug in the prior post. I would definitely spend $200-300 for a Nikon instead of $150 for a Leapers or Tasco. The extra money is very well-spent, and you can get a great scope that doesn't set you back $1000. Take a look at this link; I think you will have a hard time finding a better scope for the money:

http://laksupply.com/cart.php?target...ubstring=Nikon
Old December 2, 2006, 08:58 AM   #7
rezmedic54

Scopes

I can't afford a 1000 plus for a name so I buy the higher end cheaper models so far all have lived up to what I need them to do. I have Leapers, BSA,ATN,Barska,and NCStar. Have had them for years all hold zero well have never had to rezero one unless it has been removed or put on another rifle. So as far as that goes if you like Leo and can afford them go for it I'll stick with my cheapies and buy more ammo. Be Safe Out There Kurt
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com