The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 29, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1
tote4570

question from a newbie

I know everyone here loves scenarios so here goes. I have watched bounty hunters on tv and sometimes they kick in doors or just walk into peoples yards with guns at the ready barking orders. What if for some reason in a case of mistaken identity or address, they were to point firearms at the wrong person who happens to be a ccw holder, or they enter a dwelling and it happens to be someone who keeps a firearms for personal defense. What would happen to the homeowner if he or she shot a bounty hunter?
Old November 29, 2005, 11:24 PM   #2
coolridelude

Quote:
they enter a dwelling and it happens to be someone who keeps a firearms for personal defense. What would happen to the homeowner if he or she shot a bounty hunter?
i have thought of this too. if they are not police or LEO's then they are traspassing and if they kick my door open they will be shot!!

to me they are intruders, scaring my family.

if they thought they had a legit reason to come in i would call the cops on them, let the cops sort it out. JMO
Old November 30, 2005, 12:04 AM   #3
ozzy1038

I would love to say I would shoot too, but with the F'd up laws in Iowa. I would probably go to prison. They would definitely be staring down the barrel of something though!!!

If they didn't announce before they entered, and they entered with pistols drawn. Someone's gonna be dead. Hopefully not me, that way I can be alive to get ass raped by my cell mate when I get sent to prison thanks to our backwards laws.

Bounty Hunters definitely live "outside" the law to some extent. They can do a lot of things cops can't.
Old November 30, 2005, 12:48 AM   #4
guntotin_fool

I have no reason to believe that anyone has a reason to come arrest me, therefore, anyone doing a no knock entry in my house is defacto criminal. i shoot first.
Old November 30, 2005, 01:26 AM   #5
coolridelude

i am sure glad i live in Tejas.
Old November 30, 2005, 02:08 AM   #6
BillCA

It's an interesting question.

Bounty hunters are, to my knowledge, private citizens engaged in the business of seeking out and capturing people who have "jumped bail' to avoid prosecution. If said person has crossed state lines, it becomes "Interstate flight to avoid prosecution" - a federal felony. BH's can pursue them if they want. However, they must abide by legal extradition procedures if they capture the BG in another state. (it's amazing how many BH's will claim they caught the guy *just* before he crossed the state line).

As private citizens, they are not controlled by any agency regulations so they can be pretty pushy and tough sounding. Intimidation is a tool they can use against those who are ignorant of the law and their own rights.

The bounty hunter's legal "right" to enter a premisis is limited. While police can enter a residence to apprehend a felon (the subject of an arrest warrant) with probable cause, the B.H. must *know* the person is there first. Once he knows the person is there he can, in most states, effect an arrest of a "felonious fugitive" using whatever means necessary to make such an arrest. If weapons are displayed they had best have a CCW permit for them or face charges themselves.

A lot of B.H.'s wear some kind of badge and offical looking jackets and will simply ask if they can take a look in someone's home "to be sure" the felon is gone. And often they will rummage through desks or dressers looking for clues which police can't do legally. It's legal as long as no one tells them to stop -- just as if you invited a snoopy, uncouth neighbor over who wanted to rummage your medicine cabinet.
Old November 30, 2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Ares45

Quote:
I have no reason to believe that anyone has a reason to come arrest me, therefore, anyone doing a no knock entry in my house is defacto criminal. i shoot first.
Agreed, assuming the intruder presents a weapon or otherwise displays intent to do harm. Anyway you cut it the BG will be confronted by a pissed-off gun-toting homeowner.
Old November 30, 2005, 09:13 AM   #8
Mikeyboy

Quote:
A lot of B.H.'s wear some kind of badge and offical looking jackets and will simply ask if they can take a look in someone's home "to be sure" the felon is gone.
Most bounty hunters also work with a relative or someone else living in the house. A phone call is made when the guy is in the house, and for the most part everyone in the house knows what is going on other than the bad guy. I think some state they cannot enter a home without the owners permission. Most bounty hunters don't dress like "Dog the Bounty Hunter". They are wearing something that says Bail enforcement or something like that, and they are usually yelling something that states who they are. I know a lot of LE guys and a few do these types of arrest. Mistakes (wrong house) do happen but they are rare. I can tell you if its not a bounty hunter and its regular police, these guy are usually SWAT or SWAT trained. The will be screaming "police" before they hit your door. It will be obvious, and it will be over real quick. While I think if in the confusion if you shoot a cop I think you will not be charged with a crime, unforuately you will probably be gunned down in the process.
Old November 30, 2005, 09:52 AM   #9
XavierBreath

I think Mikeyboy hit the nail on the head.
Old November 30, 2005, 10:07 AM   #10
Dwight55

Several years ago there was an incident where (if my memory serves me correct) 3 "bounty hunters" kicked down the door of a house, . . . went in.

The occupant grabbed a 9mm and wounded at least one of the BH's but got killed in the shootout in the bedroom.

Last I heard, . . . the LEO's were looking at it from the angle of "drug deal went bad" and that the BH jackets etc. were just cover for drug dealer enforcement dudes.

Anyway, . . . never heard the ending, . . . but was told that at least in Ohio, BH has the right to "whatever means necessary", . . . just glad I'm not on any of their lists.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old March 16, 2006, 04:43 PM   #11
atlctyslkr

Great forum for this bounty hunter question.

http://www.ipiu.org/forums/printthread.php?t=182

Sounds like quite an interesting senario. You get a couple of dudes trying to jump you in a parking lot claiming you're a fugitive when you're not.
Old March 16, 2006, 05:15 PM   #12
riverrat66

Where in the heck did they find "Dog the Bounty Hunter"! Tell me they aren't scripted for television and I'll eat my hat. Just the sight of his ole' lady would be enough to make anybody give up! :barf: He ain't nuthin but an old x-con, recovering alcoholic who found religion and decided to start going after his own kind. He wouldn't be [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] if it weren't for those young kids he drags around with him and even his son is an x-con. Ever notice they don't carry firearms? Probably because as x-cons they're not allowed to own them. I've only watched that show a couple of times and neither time did they go after any really bad guys.
Old March 17, 2006, 03:02 AM   #13
azurefly

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolridelude
i have thought of this too. if they are not police or LEO's then they are traspassing and if they kick my door open they will be shot!!

to me they are intruders, scaring (presenting a credible threat of grave danger and/or death to) my family.

There, fixed that for ya!

-azurefly
Old March 17, 2006, 04:49 AM   #14
DunedinDragon

Without a warrant, anyone that kicks in my door is breaking the law whether it's a bounty hunter or a police officer. I've only watched 'Dog' a couple of times as I think it's based more on promoting his image than it is on the realities of everyday bounty hunting, but I've never seen them or any other BH on a show kick in someone's door. The go in if invited just like everyone else, or capture the bad guy in public somewhere. If they come in my house uninvited and without a warrant, it's breaking and entering...and that makes them 'dog-meat' in MY house.
Old March 17, 2006, 06:43 AM   #15
threegun

DoubleD, I believe that bounty hunters are allowed to enter without warrant or permission, to capture a fugitive. They can kick in a door.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:06 AM   #16
DunedinDragon

Quote:
DoubleD, I believe that bounty hunters are allowed to enter without warrant or permission, to capture a fugitive. They can kick in a door.
I have a hard time believing the bill of rights would be suspended for a bail bond agent and not for a law enforcement officer. I looked through all the statutes that apply to bail bondsmend and didn't see anything there. Maybe I missed it. Here it is:

http://www.leg.state.fl.us/statutes/...8/titl0648.htm

Of course, I see nothing protecting them in the statutes regarding self-defense, so I guess it doesn't matter.

Quote:
2) The presumption set forth in subsection (1) does not apply if:

(a) The person against whom the defensive force is used has the right to be in or is a lawful resident of the dwelling, residence, or vehicle, such as an owner, lessee, or titleholder, and there is not an injunction for protection from domestic violence or a written pretrial supervision order of no contact against that person; or

(b) The person or persons sought to be removed is a child or grandchild, or is otherwise in the lawful custody or under the lawful guardianship of, the person against whom the defensive force is used; or

(c) The person who uses defensive force is engaged in an unlawful activity or is using the dwelling, residence, or occupied vehicle to further an unlawful activity; or

(d) The person against whom the defensive force is used is a law enforcement officer, as defined in s. 943.10(14), who enters or attempts to enter a dwelling, residence, or vehicle in the performance of his or her official duties and the officer identified himself or herself in accordance with any applicable law or the person using force knew or reasonably should have known that the person entering or attempting to enter was a law enforcement officer.

At least in Florida if they break down your door it automatically becomes Bounty Hunter Hunting Season.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:15 AM   #17
HangFire83

If you want an "accurate" portrayal of Bounty Hunters....go rent Domino with Mickey Rourke and Kiera Knighingly. Did you know they could cut off your arm? End Sarcasm.

Jeff Cooper.
Old March 17, 2006, 07:18 AM   #18
joab

Quote:
Ever notice they don't carry firearms? Probably because as x-cons they're not allowed to own them.
They're in Hawaii where almost nobody is allowed to own guns.I watch the show whenever I come across it it's fun, like watching monkeys at the zoo.

There have been a few cases of people in Fla shooting BH and even cops coming through the door with no charges filed or at least no conviction.

Florida has always been very pro home defense
Old March 17, 2006, 07:25 AM   #19
threegun

DoubleD, I will try to research this later. I have to get the kids to school now. Here is a quote from someone who believes the same thing

Quote:
If I recall due to some old laws that have not been changed since the 1800's a bounty hunter can kick your door in and hold you at gunpoint while they search the house and you can't do anything at all about it and if i am not mistaken this applies to all 50 states. I was so mad when I saw this on tv once, when a family tried to press charges against the bounty hunters for breaking into their home and holding them at gunpoint and the people who did it was laughing about it. I could not understand why the law had not been changed.
I will try to find that law later.