The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 3, 2001, 05:16 PM   #1
usncorpsman

My apologies if this subject has been covered.
I have a Remington 870 Express Magnum with the 18.75" barrel. I had it fitted locally to accept Colonial Arms Co. choke tubes. Of course, as you all know, it was cylinder bore from the factory.
Question: Which choke would be preferable for use with 00 Buckshot at ranges not exceeding 15 yards?

Thanks for your comments.
navydoc
Old February 3, 2001, 05:44 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Only some patterning can tell you what choke to use with what load,Doc. I'd be starting off at the open end of the spectrum and going from there. Skeet or IC first, then maybe Modified.

BTW, one of my 870s was done with the Colonial tubes by Greg Wolf, of Easton Md. They work fine, especially in combination with a lengthened forcing cone.

FWIW, my chokeless HD 870 holds a 6-10" pattern at 10 yards with generic Winchester 00, and somewhat more open with the Federal equivalent. The little patterning I've done with 00 in my Deer 870(Remchokes) shows the reverse, tighter patterns with the Fed stuff.
Old February 3, 2001, 06:12 PM   #3
usncorpsman

Thanks Dave McC.
I appreciate your comments. Roger the patterning.
Best regards.
navydoc