The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 2, 2009, 05:59 PM   #1
Oregon John

Removing stock on Browning Citori

I need to know if I am turning the stock connecting screw in the right direction.

I am trying to remove the stock on my Citori but the darn thing is on very tight. I have a big slotted screwdriver, and the screwdriver shaft is hex, so I can use a wrench on the screwdriver shaft. I put the stock in a vice (lots of protecting padding) and with the butt end up I tried to loosen the screw. A friend who is very mechanical minded was helping.

We tried to turn the screw LEFT but... we heard a "pop" and the stock cracked. Before trying to loosen, we use a light to make sure the screw was exactly in the slot and then I held it there while my friend tried to loosen.

With the stock butt pointed up in the vice we assumed LEFT is the direction to loosen. We assumed righty-tighty and lefty-loosey. Can someone please let me know if this is correct?

By the way, why does Browning use a screw head. A hex head would be so much nicer. Does anyone know of a replacement for the Browning screw?

Thanks,

John
Old August 2, 2009, 06:14 PM   #2
oneounceload

Had that happen to me as well - mine looked like it had some red stuff (Loctite?) on it - stock cracked right through the wrist - Browning wouldn't cover it.

You SHOULD be able to also use a socket which is the recommended method
Old August 2, 2009, 06:28 PM   #3
LHB1

John,
The stock bolts on my Citoris tighten to the right and loosen to the left. Both my Grade III and Grade VI Citori stocks popped like that when I first loosened the stock bolts. Both bolts were very tight and one of the stocks was stuck to the action. I had to pull firmly but carefully in order to remove it. Thankfully no damage was done to either stock in my case. I removed and refinished both stocks, then cleaned up the checkering. Good luck with your stock.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:03 PM   #4
Oregon John

Got stock Off

After your replies confirming I was turning the screw in the right direction, I tried again and found the screw loosened so it was easy to get off. In hindsight I should have tapped on the screw drivers with a hammer, which I think would have broken it loose.

The stock is has a couple of hairline cracks on the right side but I think it is still usable. I found a stock just like mine for sale so I might buy it just in case. Valuable lesson learned.

The trigger and sear and other stuff inside was very clean. Almost looks like the previous owner had someone clean once in a while.

Thank you, everyone, for responding. Your help is appreciated and that is what makes this forum so great.

John Sullivan
Old August 3, 2009, 06:16 AM   #5
PetahW

[I put the stock in a vice (lots of protecting padding)]

[We tried to turn the screw LEFT but...the stock cracked.]

[In hindsight I should have tapped on the screw drivers with a hammer, which I think would have broken it loose.]

Nosir - You should have clamped the receiver in a padded vise, and not the more fragile wood.

Old August 3, 2009, 07:48 AM   #6
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also, it was the stock in the vise that caused the stock to break. OPERATOR ERROR!!!!
When you applied torque, the receiver also twisted and any alignment indents forced the stock to fracture... Always vise the item that has the threads...
But you know that already huh? Live and learn.
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 08:43 AM   #7
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Also, once the receiver is in a vise... merely tapping the screwdriver won't likely crack the loctite bond. But this 1/4 inch impact wrench will. Being 1/4 inch, it doesn't require massive amounts of air and won't need run much anyway. Start with it on a low setting and ramp up as needed... It maxes at 30 ft. lbs.
I wouldn't use it to tighten but if you were to do so, a couple 'bop bops" is all you need.
http://www.redhillsupply.com/IRT2101K.htm
Brent
Old August 3, 2009, 11:25 AM   #8
BigJimP

Glad you got it off - and yes, they are very tight. I've had good luck smacking the screw driver with a hammer a couple of times before I loosen the bolt / and it seems to come right off.

But I would recommend you do this twice a year / as well as anytime you shoot in heavy rain or heavy weather - its good preventative maintenance.