The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 17, 1999, 04:38 PM   #1
TEX

Can the 7.62 x 39 be made reliably subsonic with very heavy bullets and lower charges. I know there are som very heavy 308 bullets. Can they reshaped to work inthe 7.62 x 39. Would excess space in the case from a low power charge affect accuracy. Are tyhere any powders that would fill the case, but still result in velocities from an 16"-18" of less than 1100 fps.

Thanks
Old February 21, 1999, 10:18 PM   #2
Ed

Tex- I think you may have a problem with very heavy bullets in the 7.62x39. The rifling pitch is probably too slow to stabilize a long bullet, so accuracy would most likely be non existant. I have loaded squib plinking loads for many rifles over the years, and I have always gotten best results with fast pistol or shotgun powders like Unique or Red Dot. Haven't loaded anything for this round though, so can't give you any data.

I don't know what application you have in mind for the low velocity load, but if you really want to try a heavy bullet, Midway sells Remington 180 gr .312" bullets for the .303 Brit. for $15.99 per hundred. If you want a full case of powder, Accurate # 5744 is made just for reduced loads with fairly full cases. It's very bulky, and medium-fast burning. Might make a decent load if you can find any data on powder charge weight. I doubt if there is much data on reduced loads for this round since it is almost always chambered in semi-autos and of course reduced loads won't cycle the action. Sounds like a fun project though, good luck, and be VERY careful.
Old February 22, 1999, 03:18 PM   #3
TEX

Ed, What I had in mind was a cheap 300 Whisper from my SKS. Quit laughing, I am serious. Thanks for the info. TEX
Old February 22, 1999, 03:19 PM   #4
TEX

Ed, What I had in mind was a cheap 300 Whisper from my SKS. Quit laughing, I am serious. Thanks for the info. TEX
Old February 22, 1999, 03:19 PM   #5
TEX

Old February 22, 1999, 10:31 PM   #6
Ed

Tex- A cheap .300 Whisper, ok now I see what you're trying for. No, I'm not laughing, I have dreamed up some pretty strange ideas for oddball loads myself over the last 40 years I've been handloading. Afraid I don't have experience with anything like that round though.

BTW, I found an old article by C. E. Harris where he writes about using 150 gr .30-30 bullets in the 7.62X39 for deer. He got around 2000 fps with fair accuracy, but he doesn't give any powder charge data. So, it just might work with an even heavier bullet if you could determine a safe and workable powder charge. The two main things you would be up against are the rifling twist rate and the amount of freebore, if any, ahead of the chamber.

Anyway, have fun with it and be sure to post it if you have any luck. Be safe.