The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 27, 2005, 08:41 AM   #1
Duxman

Extra Magazine....Where do you carry and How?

Gentlemen, I recently switch from a 9mm pistol to a .40 S&W pistol for my CC. Feeling the need for an extra mag because of the weapon's reduced capacity, I am wondering where and how (for those that carry an extra mag)?

I have a mag holder (from tactical holsters) that I carry next to my cell on the left side, but I sometimes would reach for my cell (also on a belt carry case on the left), and if someone were to observe a mag holder, they would probably assume that I am armed.

Another suggestion was to carry in front pocket of jacket (strong side - same side was weapon) to weigh down the jacket so wind does not blow it open and reveal your weapon. My issue here is to reload, you would have to switch hands or do some ackward motion with your left hand to get the extra magazine.

Suggestions?
Old April 27, 2005, 08:51 AM   #2
jonathon

A horizontal mag carrier right on your front, or get one that is covered so it looks like a mag lite in a fancy leather case

Though, I see a lot people with a ton of crap dangling from their belts so, never usually pay attention to it.
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 27, 2005, 09:14 AM   #3
20cows

My spare mag is in my left front pocket. For me, a belt pouch would be more problematic to conceal than my IWB 1911. The Blade Tech holster I have will allow me to carry it under a tucked shirt if I need to, but I don't see how a belt carry magazine pouch could be concealed w/o another cover garment.

I do have to check the magazine frequently for pocket lent, but it's just part of the routine.

PS The "maglite" pouch is not really a viable option either.
Old April 27, 2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Wildalaska

Never carry one unless I have a shoulder rig adn chances are it has an emprty mag

WildimacivilianAlaska
Old April 27, 2005, 09:53 AM   #5
kkb

I have an old distrest belt sheath with a button flap for a folding knife that just happens to fit my spare mag. It's open carried left side and I've had no comments about it. Doesn't look evil and you'd have to look real close to see that ain't a knife in there.
Old April 27, 2005, 10:02 AM   #6
jonathon

Quote:
I have an old distrest belt sheath with a button flap for a folding knife that just happens to fit my spare mag. It's open carried left side and I've had no comments about it. Doesn't look evil and you'd have to look real close to see that ain't a knife in there.
Yeah, thats pretty much was I was talking about .

For a Camas PD officer, he wanted a mag pouch for off duty that would look inconspicuous. So we made what could've been a mag lite or knife sheath out of some really nice leather(black with a nice shine to it). Also made a cell phone carrier for his duty belt
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 27, 2005, 10:39 AM   #7
Ronny

I carry a spare mag in my left front pants pocket. I slip an old mini-flashlight cover over it so that no lint or dirt fouls up the mag.
Old April 27, 2005, 11:54 AM   #8
spacemanspiff

cargo pants pockets. they're super tactical cause to get to them i gotta drop to a knee. curse this short torsoed body of mine! but thats a good thing, since i'll be kneeling behind cover anyways while i am holding off the chinese invasion force singlehandedly.
Old April 27, 2005, 12:03 PM   #9
Mr. James

Left rear pocket.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old April 27, 2005, 12:17 PM   #10
MillCreek

IWB holster with a spare mag pouch on the front.

MillCreek
Snohomish County, Washington USA
Old April 27, 2005, 01:23 PM   #11
perception

Right beside the gun in my SmartCarry.
Old April 27, 2005, 02:01 PM   #12
MartinR

Pocket holster w/ integral spare mag pouch.

(for NAA Guardian)

With high cap semi-auto, I probaly wouldn't carry a spare magazine except when on duty.
Old April 27, 2005, 09:25 PM   #13
Dwight55

Kydex double mag paddle carrier on left side: behind 1911 if carrying cross draw.

I have 3 ea 8 rd stainless mags, . . . one in the tube gives me a total of 25 rds.

If that ain't enough, . . . I'll wait at the gate with Peter, . . . y'all get there, 'hear?

May God bless,
Dwight
If you are reading this in English, . . . thank a Veteran!
Old April 27, 2005, 10:53 PM   #14
payne

My holster has an extra mag pouch on the top of it. So I got 12 extra rounds of 40 ready to go. So the answer is on the holster.
Old April 27, 2005, 11:23 PM   #15
RCPractitioner

Ditto on the knife sheath. The sheath to my Gerber gator fits an extra mag perfectly and noone is none the wiser that it isn't a Gerber knife in there.
Old April 28, 2005, 06:05 AM   #16
Mannlicher

Sometimes in a belt holder, sometimes in a pocket holder, sometimes on an ankle holder. Different modes of dress, different guns, dictate where I carry an extra magazine(s). I always have one somewhere though.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 28, 2005, 06:45 AM   #17
mvpel

The SmartCarry holster has a spare mag pouch where I stash my 13-round Glock 21 mag for my Glock 30.
1 Samuel 13:19
Old April 28, 2005, 04:27 PM   #18
Penman

two mags for my 1911 in a Sparks #34 double case. Worn at about 8 o'clock
Old April 29, 2005, 09:39 AM   #19
Brit

Mag extra

Duxman, move your cel phone, or go bluetooth, you must always carry an extra mag, it must be in a place that makes a mag replacement quick!
The reason for the extra magazine is twofold, #1 malfunctions, the second reason is more bullets!!!! for down range delivery, in a hurry.

A Glock 19 has 16 rounds up, the spare is from a G17, full of 127g new talons, when you get into the extra mag, due to expending the 16 rounds in the pistol! you may have bitten off more than you can chew!!

Keep Safe. Mike H.
Old April 29, 2005, 09:53 AM   #20
Edward429451

Depending on the day of the week, wether I'm working or not and what other stuff is on my batman belt....

Left front pocket, Gerber multi tool pouch, or two single mag carriers here n there wherever I can fit em in. I know, not very tactical not having spare mags location carved in stone but at least I always have at least one extra no matter what. Plus a couple more in the truck.
Old April 29, 2005, 10:33 AM   #21
Wildalaska

Quote:
when you get into the extra mag, due to expending the 16 rounds in the pistol! you may have bitten off more than you can chew!!
Yeah like an indictment

WildherewegoAlaska
Old April 29, 2005, 10:18 PM   #22
Jack Malloy

Usually in a shirt pocket or coat or vest pocket on the right breast.
I dont carry an extra mag in case I run out of ammo. In the real world any self defense shooting you get in will be about 3 rounds at ten feet.
I carry an extra mag because in the real world, the majority of auto pistol malfs are magazine related.
According to the FBI statistics from the past 30 years, you can get into two shoot outs a week with a k-frame .38 before you have to reload fellas. Spray and pray looks cool in John Woo movies, but its horse crap.
Old April 29, 2005, 11:18 PM   #23
03BlackGTP

Left Rear Pocket. Driver side door(Just incase you were wondering where I keep them in the car. )

"There is no greater love than a man that would lay down his life for another.
Officer Timothy Jacob Laird, Charles 421, is 10-42. He has gone home for the final time."
Old May 3, 2005, 04:16 PM   #24
Dre_sa

move your phone to a pocket seeing that you dont really need to get to it as fast as a spare mag. then keep your spare in your phone pouch! takes a little practise to get the speed up but it works. i just kep mine in my left front pocket. tried the pouch thing then found the pocket to be a bit easier (no flaps or velcro)
Old July 22, 2005, 01:27 AM   #25
CyberSEAL

I wear a lot of cargo pants and shorts, many of them have an extra interior pocket located within the front right pocket, I find it's the perfect size for an extra magazine.