The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 9, 2015, 03:25 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

CNC, Electric, laser engraving

If I wanted to have a firearm engraved relatively cheaply, what would be my options? Something similar to what is found on production guns, not hand/custom engraving. Some western/classic style scrollwork. No need for names or logos.
A look not too dissimilar from this Henry Golden Boy.
Old March 9, 2015, 01:11 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

No such thing as cheap engraving. Relative or otherwise.
CNC is Computer Numerical Control machining. Really a method of operating metal shaping machines(lathes, mills, etc) with a computer. The program required will cost a ton of money. And you'd have to find a shop with a small CNC engraving machine. They're around. Look in the Yellow Pages. Just don't expect the engraving like that Henry to be cheap.
Rummage around here too. http://www.lindsayengraving.com/othe...ndEngrave.html
Old March 9, 2015, 01:23 PM   #3
4V50 Gary
Staff

I'd find someone with a laser engraver. We have them at school (TSJC)
Old April 5, 2015, 10:07 AM   #4
axismatt

Hey John,

I own an engraving company here in San Diego. My laser is a large format Co2 machine. I will tell you that, if the receiver is stainless, we can put a very nice black mark on the surface for a reasonable price. It is high resolution and the contrast from the stainless to the black is very attractive. When I get into my office in the morning, I will send you a few pics. There is no depth to the engraving, as the Co2 cannot "engrave", but rather "anneal". But it is a permanent mark.

On anodized surfaces, the laser engraver will leave a white (or very close to white) mark, regardless of the plating color. This is fun for the ladies' pink and purple anodized pistols. I do A LOT of AR components for the 80% crowd (fire/safe markings, serialization).

Now, if you must have depth from actual engraving, you can find someone with a "fiber-galvo" laser or YAG laser. This is a different type of laser, usually limited in work envelope to about 4" square. But they are capable of actually engraving into the metal. This is perfect for parts that have a stainless, black oxide or blued surface. In this case, you will likely (not always) need to disassemble the gun so they can fit the part under the lens. This is a very affordable way to engrave components.

I hope this is helpful. If you want me to work on anything for you, send me a message and we can chat more about it.
Old April 5, 2015, 09:30 PM   #5
Machineguntony

When I engraved my first AR, it costed me $75 to have the words AUTO FIRE laser engraved on both sides of the gun.

Question: how do I blacken the engraving so that it matches the rest of the gun?

Old April 5, 2015, 10:05 PM   #6
axismatt

are you trying to cover the engraving so it no longer says "auto fire"? The honest answer is, to do it right, you need to strip and re-plate the part.

the cheap S O B in me says you could use a sharpie. Possibly paint the part. But yeah, until you strip and re-anodize it, that marking is permanent.

$75 for that? Dang, that's steep. I would have done it for $10 per placement, and a couple beers.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:10 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

I MIGHT be able to program a CNC mill to engrave something like that, but it would take me forever. I have only done simple letter engravings. I believe there are some utilities to convert digital images to G-code, but I have never worked with hem and my impression is they involve as much time and artistry in adjusting the CNC settings as actual engraving. Great if you are going to run production, but not worth it for a one off. Maybe I could make a generic design with an envelope that would fit on multiple firearms.
I could probably manage access to a mill as long as I was only working on parts of the gun.

I have access to an ?elctro stencil engraver? at work. Others use it to serialize parts with a pattern of dots similar to import mark on some cheap surplus guns. Maybe it is capable of more. Probably similar programing restraints.

I'm really looking to dress up one of the H&R or iver johnson top breaks. I'm really dissappointed in the lack of availability of higher end top break 22lrs. Depending on price Imight be interested in some other things also.
axismatt, I'll get you a pm in a moment.
Old April 5, 2015, 10:22 PM   #8
Machineguntony

I am trying to make my engraving match the rest of the gun, so that if you looked at it, you would think that it came from the factory with the AUTO FIRE setting factory engraved.

I'm NOT trying to cover it up.

For example, here is my M16 with factory markings. I want it to match like this...

I tried buying a bluing gun die at Academy, but it didn't match the gun, when I used a little test patch.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:08 PM   #9
FrankenMauser

In my opinion, nothing will look right on the Iver Johnson or H&R, unless it's done by hand or with a single lip cutter ...à la pantograph engraving.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:56 PM   #10
Bill DeShivs

Scroll work will almost have to be done by hand. Lettering is no problem-any jewelry or trophy shop with a New Hermes pantograph can "diamond drag" lettering.
As far as computerized/mechanized scroll work: any machine would have to be custom programmed (or templated) for the specific area to be engraved. This is not feasible for one-off cases.
Old April 5, 2015, 11:58 PM   #11
Bill DeShivs

Machineguntony: Birchwood Casey Aluma Black.
Old April 6, 2015, 12:27 AM   #12
Machineguntony

Thanks, Bill. I will try it.
Old April 8, 2015, 04:17 AM   #13
trg42wraglefragle

Machineguntony: has the engraving actually removed any metal, can you feel the words being indented?

If not the laser has only removed the anodizing or paint that is on your lower and re-painting/plating it will just return it to how it originally was.
Old April 8, 2015, 04:38 AM   #14
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
No such thing as cheap engraving. Relative or otherwise.
I contacted Matt by PM and asked a few questions. The pricing feedback I received seemed extremely reasonable to me and much less expensive than hand engraving. Only problems is it needs to a gun in the white. There are no stainless top break revolvers chambered in 22lr available. Doesn't seem it is feasible for this project.

I have a stainless Kahr I might like some work done to, but that is aconsiderably more valuable firearm. Will have to consider it for a bit.
Old April 8, 2015, 09:25 PM   #15
FITASC

Quote:
Scroll work will almost have to be done by hand.
Kreighoff base model has simple scroll engraving and it is machine done; same with Browning and similar.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 24, 2015, 10:52 AM   #16
Art at Arms

To say that scroll work is not feasible on a laser is not true. See the attached photo and image. I do respect the people doing it by hand, it is a true art form. My specialty is computers and machines though, and making them do what I want. I try and make it more affordable than hand done work.

A lot of our work can be seen on instagram.
http://www.instagram.com/artatarms

Last edited by Evan Thomas; May 26, 2015 at 12:15 PM. Reason: removed spam-ish content.