The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2008, 12:27 PM   #1
HowardCohodas

NIHL - Noise Induced Hearing Loss

While doing some research I came across some information useful to shooters:
Quote:
sensitive structures in our inner ear can be damaged, causing noise-induced hearing loss (NIHL). These sensitive structures, called hair cells, are small sensory cells in the inner ear that convert sound energy into electrical signals that travel to the brain. Once damaged, our hair cells cannot grow back.

Scientists once believed that the pure force of vibrations from loud sounds caused the damage to hair cells. Instead, recent studies have shown that exposure to harmful noise triggers the formation of molecules inside the ear that can damage or kill hair cells.
Quote:
In a recent study, however, the antioxidants in salicylate (aspirin) and Trolox (vitamin E) were given to guinea pigs as long as three days after noise exposure and still significantly reduced hearing loss. These results suggest that there is a window of opportunity in which it is possible to rescue hearing from noise trauma. Scientists hope to begin clinical trials with humans with the goal of reducing NIHL.
The entire article can be found at the National Institute of Health. http://www.nidcd.nih.gov/health/hearing/noise.asp
Old September 12, 2008, 03:36 PM   #2
Mike1

Guess I'm about 40 years too late on the aspirin and Vitamin E. Would have been nice to know back then. Since I worked next to some noisy equipment all the time, that would have been a lot of pills.

Mike
Old September 12, 2008, 03:44 PM   #3
AK103K

I've taken aspirin and Vitamin E daily for years now and I still have more crickets than a John Wayne movie chirping no stop in my head 24/7. I wear ear plugs when ever I shoot and work around equipment too.

I've had hearing loss since I was a kid, back when hearing protection was some cotton or empty shell cases stuffed in your ears, if you used anything at all. I'm still loosing it as I age though. To many years of rapid sharp noises, or continual droning.