The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2012, 11:01 PM   #1
SixGun45

Gravel pit brass,223

I consider it a good thing to get free brass by the bucket even if it comes from gravel pits. I sort and wash all of it before working with it. The question is, a lot of the 223 brass has slight dings in it, would you reload and use it? I have been and have not had any problems. If it is more than a minor ding I toss it. I have a 5 gallon bucket full of brass that is going to the recyclers tomorrow. Also when I size the brass some of the necks are too small for the pilot point. I found that a 7/32" drill is 5.56mm so I put it in the vise and chuck the brass lightly in my 1/2" drill and with a little lube turn the brass onto the butt of the drill and it works fine... Thanks,
Old April 10, 2012, 11:16 PM   #2
dacaur

A good rule on dents, as long as its smooth, its ok, if there is any kind of crease or corner, toss it.
Old April 11, 2012, 02:52 AM   #3
NWPilgrim

Yes, I pick up gravel pit .223 brass. I put in with my miscellaneous brass for reloading plinking ammo. Small dents just get expanded out with the next firing. I like the above rule about smooth versus creased. I never load to max pressures either (like below military case levels). But overall I find very little .223 brass compared to what I shoot of my own.

My own good brass, LC and R-P, I keep separate from the mixed bag brass. I use this good brass for loading more precision rounds by headstamp.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old April 11, 2012, 08:36 PM   #4
thedaddycat

For dings in the case mouths I use a line-up punch that has a long taper to it. It definitely will turn a dented mouth round without an issue, no lube required. They come in a couple of different sizes to suit your needs.

Old April 11, 2012, 10:14 PM   #5
Will Lee

thedaddycat, I wonder how old that Maxwell House coffee can is?? Same for that can of WD-40. I say you been around for a while.

Been using your method to round out case mouths for quite some time and using dacaur's rule for culling bass just as long (40 years).
Old April 12, 2012, 04:21 PM   #6
medalguy

Sure it's good as long as there are no deep scratches from sharp rocks.
Old April 12, 2012, 07:25 PM   #7
chris in va

What is 'gravel pit' brass?
Old April 12, 2012, 07:46 PM   #8
dacaur

Quote:
What is 'gravel pit' brass?
Other people brass picked up off the ground.
Old April 12, 2012, 10:11 PM   #9
SixGun45

What is gravel pit brass?

Abandoned gravel pits and rock quarries are where a lot of people go to shoot guns and most of them leave their brass on the ground. I have a retired friend that knows where all these areas are around the town he lives in. So every couple weeks he takes a day and goes brass picking. Until he found out that I reload he would take it to the metal recyclers and get cash for the collection.
Now he gives me a couple 5 gallon buckets a year. I have to sort it out and clean and clean and clean it all before reloading. I only use this for practice and making loud noises... I sell some to friends for the same purpose. By the way, cleaning got a lot easier after I bought an Isonic ultra sonic cleaner from Amazon, 2.1 quart with a heater for $100 with free shipping.