The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 4, 2011, 02:44 PM   #1
c30192

Sizing barrel .

I read that when using cast bullets , You should size the barrel with a piece
of soft lead .
What kind of lead would I use ?
Old September 4, 2011, 03:09 PM   #2
snuffy

Proper term is "slugging" the barrel. Any soft lead orb can be used. The recommendation used to be, get an egg sinker from the fishing department in a sporting goods store. BUT now-a-days, the sinkers are made of zinc or iron, THANKS TO THE EPA.

The other option is buckshot. Find some that's about .370 or bigger, up to .400. Tap it into the barrel from the front with a lead/brass hammer, then drive it full length with a brass rod. Measure with a micrometer. Od number rifling is difficult to do, you need an anvil type mic, or precision hole gauges.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old September 4, 2011, 03:54 PM   #3
jepp2

A test for soft (what you really want is pure lead) is to see if you can mark it with your thumbnail. Commercial muzzle loader round balls are 100% pure lead in case you know any muzzleloaders. Oil the bore before you start and pay attention to any tight spots as it progresses down the bore.

If you are dealing with a revolver, don't forget to check the chamber diameters. I find pin gages are the easiest way to do this.

If your chambers are larger than your bore, size for the cylinders.