The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 3, 2011, 12:23 PM   #26
steve4102

My point was that Nosler does not list OAL. Sending them e-mails and calling them will only get you what their manual already has published. That is to find the Max OAL for ones rifle and reduce OAL from there. Seems like sound advice to me.
Old September 3, 2011, 12:36 PM   #27
Mike / Tx

Quote:
Unclenick That strategy has the status of conventional wisdom, but it has not proved universal. Dan Hackett, writing in the Precision Shooting Reloading Guide
Man it's been a while since I heard that name Nick. I remember way back, when I first got a PC tied into the internet, there was a shooting forum on Compuserve, that Mr Hackett frequented, along with quit a few other popular names from the industry. Sure was a shame when AOL bought them out and killed all things gun related. Of course quite a few moved over to here, and several others that were getting off the ground then. Dan was a great guy to chat with back then and helped me out with plenty of data and tips on how to reach my targeted goals. He also got me into moly coating my bullets for a couple of the higher pressured loads like in my 25-06 and in a 7mm Rem Mag. Both to this day will shoot better at 250 - 300 yards than most will at 100.

Less I digress,

In loading the '06 with the various 150 and 165gr loads I have through the years, I have used quite a bit of mil-surp brass along with standard Win and Rem cases. With the loads I used I never really noted much if any differences in which higher pressures due to internal capacity was an issue.

I for the most part use Win primers in about 80% of my loads as well. This combined with keeping the charges somewhat short of the top listed loads hasn't given me any issues. In fact, using 57.5gr of IMR-4350 with a 150gr or a 165gr Solid Base or Ballistic Tip seated to 3.250" base to tip has shot so accurate in so many different rifles we have tried it in that is now about all I load. It's hard to argue with 1" or less groups from close to a dozen different rifles. I can't say it's magic how well they work, but something good is going on. Personally I just think that this particular load range sets up a good harmonic in a 22" or 24" sporter barrel. Thats is the only explanation I can come up with, as I am far from the only one who has experienced it.

Now with the H-4350, I have the same or similar results using Barnes X, Hornady, and Sierra's, but not as good with the Nosler, go figure. Either way though with two powders I can load just about every conceivable hunting bullet in these ranges, to well within 1 MOA, or less in most cases.

I would almost be willing to bet that the OP's best load will hit between 54.5 and 55.5grs using either of them, with a seating depth of around 3.250 - 3.265". Hope he comes back and relates how things go with his work ups.

It is great when you stumble onto something like this, but the ones that get you to hair pulling, humble you right back out.