The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 11, 2010, 05:00 AM   #1
xeduc8r

Blackhorn misfires in tc encore

I just stared using Blackhorn 209 powder in my 50 cal. tc encore with Winchester 209 primers and Hornady 250 gr. sabots. After about 5 or 6 shots, it seems to misfire. I have heard it could be my breech plug. Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions? I love the easy cleanup and the way it shoots but don't want to have a misfire in the field.
Old December 11, 2010, 02:15 PM   #2
shortwave

When you start to experience misfire's is the flash/hole plugged?

At any rate, I've not tried the Blackhorn powder. I like the Remington Cleanbore primers the best of the primers I've used in my Encore when shooting Pyrodex, 777 or American Pioneer powders.
Old December 11, 2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Pbearperry

I have never had misfires using black powder.Wish I could say the same thing about Pyrodex.After years of the substitute I have gone back to the good old stinky original.
Old December 11, 2010, 05:29 PM   #4
turbodab

I have had several issues with my encore, but misfires is not one of them. Are you swabbing between shots? I have found with my encore that the most shots I can reliably get down is two without swabbing. After that, I have trouble seating the sabot/powerbelt, etc. I use 777.
Old December 11, 2010, 09:54 PM   #5
lhead71

Check out this thread.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...n-powders.html
Old December 12, 2010, 02:13 AM   #6
xeduc8r

I was given the impression from reading about Blackhorn that one did not have to swab between shots like with 777 or pyrodex. That was a big selling point for using it plus it cleans up with the same cleaner I use on my rifles. I am currently looking for something to clean the breech hole as well. Pipe cleaners don't seem to work as the hole is too small. I am thinking of a cleaning pick for a cutting torch. I hope to try cleaning the breech first and then add swabbing. Thanks for the help.
Old December 12, 2010, 08:06 PM   #7
lhead71

Using BH 209 I have fired as many as 50 shots without swabbing either the bore of cleaning the breech plug. I have an Encore Pro hunter.
Old December 13, 2010, 07:42 AM   #8
BigV

Your problem sounds like it’s the breech plug, carbon build-up to be exact. Use a drill bit turned by hand to remove all the carbon deposits in your flash channel. I use a 1/8” drill bit for the channel and a 1/32 bit for the flash hole in my TC Omega with a .25 ACP brass adaptor. Also make sure your using a good solvent based cleaning solvent as well. Hopps #9 works well for cleaning BH209. If your breach plug flash hole is smaller than 1/32” drill it out. This will solve your miss fire problems.

The Winchester 209 primers you are using should be fine (as long as there the standard shot gun 209 primers not the ML primers).
Good luck.