The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old March 16, 2011, 05:30 AM   #826
Matt-tx

Hello All...

Hello everyone,

I've enjoyed reading some of the threads on this forum and finally got around to signing up now that I'm in need of a little advice.

About me, I'm 32 and work as a freelance software developer in the DFW area. I'm always looking to meet new friends and hope I can make a few here.

Regards,

Matt
Old March 17, 2011, 05:34 PM   #827
DDW

Hi, I just joined today and wonder if anyone can tell me the type of action on a late 1990's Browning A Bolt and how it compares to Mauser/Remington/Sako etc.. I recently became interested in having a rifle, probably 7mm STW, built and while researching barrels, triggers etc. I realized I know nothing about actions except that Mauser is probably the most reliable. I have 2 Browning A Bolts in 270 Win and 300 Win Mag and love them.
Old March 17, 2011, 06:37 PM   #828
Coyote WT

Hi all,

My name is Dave but mostly I go by Coyote. I live north of Seattle but am from a little town in south central Oregon. As my dad says, I'm old enough to know better and too young to care. I spent three years of my late teens at Ft. Polk LA in the early '80s. There's more, information is free for the asking.

I joined the forum to get some insight from people that are familiar with the weapons that I'm interested in. I just bought my first rifle, a 91/30 Mosin Nagant, a single barrel break action 410 for my wife (who is waiting for her paperwork to clear for her Springfield 9MM EMP). The danger is that both my wife and I are obsessive collectors (I have nearly 2 dozen canes, over 70 Tarot decks, a collection of hats...well a collection of collections).

Eventually I want to succeed in only two hunts; one deer and one coyote. After that I'll strictly be a for fun target shooter.

I have gotten a lot of really good information and feedback so far. I'm looking forward to learning a lot from as many people as I can.

As far as non firearm related things, my wife and I have a collection of snakes and are active in a local reptile society dedicated to public education and reptile rescue. I'm also a semi pro/hobbiest photographer and a Tarot reader.

Pleased to meet you all,

Coyote WT
Old March 17, 2011, 07:52 PM   #829
RyanWeatherby

Nooooobie

Hey everyone.

I'm Ryan, I was born, raised, and still live in Western Colorado.

I come from a pretty 'country' family but I've only very recently got into guns. Just bought my first one, Marlin Model 60 .22. Despite my screen-name, I do not own a Weatherby, just my last name. Would love to get one real soon though, I've always heard good things about them. I'm just here to learn as much as possible. I'll never have a high numbered post count on here, but I'm definitely here.... reading
Old March 18, 2011, 12:56 PM   #830
cubdad67

Which Varmint Gun Should I buy?

Well I hope I have found a site that I can get some real answers for some questions.

Can anyone tell me about the Savage 25 LWT VAR T 204 RUG or the Remington 700 SP Synthetic VAR 204 RUG. I am not sure as to which one would be better. Any help would be great.
Old March 18, 2011, 06:55 PM   #831
triumph1153

HOWDY from new guy

I'm a 58 year old white male, Sacramento Cal.

I do a little shooting and motorcycle riding off road.

X Navy guy and retired federal civil service.

Got a Winchester 30/30 ranger that I've got a Lil trouble with getting it back together need a parts diagram of some type so I can figure out how it all goes back together. LOL. I had a clip break off inside of this thing and have the part on order. Thanks for any help.

I've got a request for the said issue over in the general forum arrea.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

Rick
Old March 19, 2011, 10:27 AM   #832
tazbigdog

Hi, I'm Jeff. New to forum, but not firearms. Prior LEO, still in gov't work, looking forward to retiring after a third career.
Old March 19, 2011, 08:44 PM   #833
OpenFire

New member.

Hey everybody, I'm a new member to this forum and trying to start my gun collection. I Love guns; ALWAYS HAVE. But still I feel I have alot to learn.

Tone
Old March 19, 2011, 09:01 PM   #834
jules

this thread kinda sounds a little like firearms anonymous, but its ok, ill follow suit.
you may call me jules. i live in seattle, and although only recently did i buy my first gun, that number has jumped quickly to 6. i find myself reading any info i can find on shooting, gear, stats, and the like. i cant seem to know enough, and it looks like i will learn volumes more by sitting and listening to what those on TFL have to share.
hope to see you all in other threads
Old March 21, 2011, 06:29 PM   #835
Burn out

Hi all!

Just making my first post here to introduce myself.
I'm a long time shooter and collector, hunter.

Located in NW PA...anyone else here in my parts?
Old March 21, 2011, 11:05 PM   #836
BNOBrien

Hello

Hi my im from Oregon, my name is Brandon. Im kind of new to forums so im no real familiar with how this all works.. just wanted to introduce myself here and then get back to figuring this thing out.
Old March 22, 2011, 12:29 PM   #837
BillyBeards

Hi!
My name is Bill and I've never shot any type of firearm.
My wife and I are in our 30's and looking into getting our handgun permits. I'm mainly interested in the sport of shooting.
I'm here to read and learn, thanks in advance.

Beards
Old March 22, 2011, 10:06 PM   #838
kinggabby

Howdy

Dave from OKC here. Nice to meet yall . Just getting back into shooting. Just got my gun and just waiting to go shoot ( S&W SW9VE) second one had to trade first. But hope to learn something from everyone. Thanks in advance.

Dave
Old March 28, 2011, 12:18 PM   #839
dalver63

Hello!

My name is Deb and I'm Coyote WT's wife. He's been chatting about how much he's enjoying this forum so I thought I'd join into the community.

I grew up in the North Seattle area and still live here. I've always been interested in firearms and have in the past owned a nice little .410 shotgun (no idea what the mfg was now). When Dave mentioned that he wanted to get back into shooting I was all for it. We went to the range about 6 weeks ago and I shot my first handgun. There was no turning back after that and I recently picked up a Springfield EMP 9mm. I'm sure this won't be the last one I pickup, either.

Along with working on being an avid shooter I also am involved in our local reptile club, occasionally breed some of our Australian pythons and am active in a local pitbull/bully breed club.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot while here!
Old March 28, 2011, 12:30 PM   #840
irish52084

New guy here from the west side of Washington state. Grew up hunting and shooting and now I'm trying to expand my knowledge on doing some custom work on my pistols and hopefully begin shooting IDPA very soon.
Old March 29, 2011, 08:33 AM   #841
baddarryl

Hi!

Hi all. In Wilmington NC. Did a fair amount of hunting and shooting in Fla as a kid. 20 years later getting back into it now that I have my own kids. Have always had a home defense pistol. Getting excited about my first Turkey hunt! Also taking a look at shooting sports to get into. Just finished the concealed carry class etc etc. Looking forward to learning and contributing on this Forum!
Old March 29, 2011, 06:55 PM   #842
glock4epton

Hello from the Beach!

Hello everyone! 28 year old concealed carry permit holder and gun lover from Myrtle Beach, South Carolina! Look forward to enjoying what everyone has to say!!
Old March 30, 2011, 10:35 AM   #843
err.gray

Long winded new guy...

Hello all! I'm err.gray and new to this forum. I'd like to start by saying thanks. A while back I was trying to identify an old German made single action sixgun and a search turned up a members post in the skunkworks. The original poster had a Herbert Schmidt model121 and it had been fitted with new grips from a Colt Frontier single action army. Using that information I was able to get new grips for my old Herbert Schmidt.
Before

After
Old March 31, 2011, 09:16 PM   #844
Burton

This is such a great forum...I've already gotten some great help from Doyle about a Savage 24 V I picked up. I'm a full-time pastor and we have enjoyed shooting for many years. Some of my earliest memories are of sitting on my mom's lap shooting at cans.

Today about eight of us from church went to the range. One of the group was a young Marine who had just gotten his wife her first gun, a Walther .380. She is going to be home alone, as he is being deployed. She calls her gun, "Andrew in a box." She did well. And he had never shot a WWII rifle and I had taken my Moisin rifle. He was hitting clay pidgeons with it that were on a dirt embankment at about 80 yards and having so much fun I let him finish off all my ammo. (I only took about 60 rounds.) So he had hands on history of WWII. I've read some posters putting down the old Moisins. My, such a cheap gun, such history, cheap ammo. Sure it is crude-- but it sure shines at these things. Where can you get as much gun for $99?

We also had there the Marine's little brother (age 12) who has been in our air rifle program at church. He was shooting my Chipmunk and hit clays on the ground at 50 yards. We also had two young ladies there who were leery of shooting at first, but were soon blasting away and having a great time. One was soon shooting my sons AR, too. I'd encourage you to introduce some people to this wonderful sport, which can also defend life and feed a family. Thanks!
Old March 31, 2011, 10:00 PM   #845
USAR-VET

Newb saying hi.

Just wanted to say hello, just found this site, looks good and decided to join.

Ken
Old April 1, 2011, 10:19 AM   #846
sty1710

Colt 038 MK IV SERIES 80 ; PLUS II

I HAVE A CHANCE TO BUY EITHER A
MUSTANG 380 PLUS II
OR A
GOVERNMENT MODEL 380
Any idea on a fair price to offer ?

[This is a subforum for introductions, if you feel so inclined. Discussion should be in the forum that covers your topic. Handguns - Semiauto would be appropriate for your question. - Bud Helms]
Old April 2, 2011, 10:12 PM   #847
Sketso

New Handgun Owner

Hey all. Rookie here from OK. Just picked up a Taurus 24/7 Pro 9mm. Feature packed and rave reviews online, from what I read anyway, so very excited to take it to the range tomorrow and test it out. Looking forward to learning from you folks here on the Firing Line!
Old April 3, 2011, 11:56 AM   #848
WhiskeyTango

Can't believe I didn't join this site sooner. New to the site but in no way new to guns. I have an Associates in Gun Smithing, and have been playing with guns my whole life. I specialize in custom stock work, but can do just about any job put in front of me. I am the Vice President of Rocky Mountain Machine Gun Shoots Inc., we are a company that hosts machine gun shoots for the general public to attend here in Colorado. I look forward to being a part of this community!

Member-RMGO, Member-NRA, NRA Certified RSO
Old April 4, 2011, 11:49 PM   #849
windowdude

hello glad to meet everyone

I live in Missouri. just want to learn a little more about my Remington 870 express. admitted I am not very knowedgeableabout shotguns but am hoping to learn.
Old April 6, 2011, 08:41 AM   #850
loose_holster_dan

hey there. name's loose_holster_dan. i like guns. period.
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."

Tags
ar15 , cerakote , custom ar , introduction , laser engraving , new agent