The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 4, 2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Splash2304

What to buy?

I am looking for a little help. I am looking at purchasing my first semi-auto handgun. I am looking for something that will be #1) durable, #2) light, #3) accurate, #4) fun to shoot (2&3 are pretty evenly ranked) . The number one reason for my purchase is to carry some extra protection while backpacking (mainly Oregon & Washington areas). I am also looking at getting my CWP in the next few months, so I would like it to fill this roll as well. After a few weeks of trolling handgun forms, talking with friends, & visiting gun stores. I keep coming back to HK, Kimber, & Springfield. My top two choices of these are the HK45C and HK45. I am looking for more input and maybe a few other options to look at. Any comments would be appreciated.
Old March 4, 2009, 06:44 PM   #2
BLUEZ4U

Backpacking is a pretty loose subject. Depending on your hike, duration etc... the situation would dictate your choices.

I'm pretty sure there is a ALDHA west, that would have a forum on what they usually carry. (tree huggers aside).....

If your going for a few days, like I usually do, it's a 380 with some hollow tips.

I usually worry more about the strange people I meet.....

My experience is that people are bigger threat than animals. (nuts..goof'balls, etc...)

If it's a day hike.. I'll take the XD40 Sub.... .40cal.. deadly accurate...

If it's longer than a week...I'll take the NAA Guardian 380. ..

I love stainless...............
North American Arms
Old March 4, 2009, 06:49 PM   #3
ElectricHellfire

If it were me I'd go with the Hk.
Old March 7, 2009, 09:52 AM   #4
Splash2304

Heading to the gun show

I am heading to a gun show tomorrow. I have heard that prices usually arent very good at gun shows. Does anyone have any tips to getting the most for my money at one of these shows?

Tags
handgun , heckler&koch , kimber , pistol , springfield