The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 12, 2014, 10:37 PM   #26
SHE3PDOG

I just read the website. The charge is for if you use a free email account like yahoo or gmail. I think that applies to most people.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 12, 2014, 10:40 PM   #27
Kev

Probably right, in fact that sounds right
This one vendor is also on gunsamerica.com that doesn't do the buck fee or keep any CC on file
Old January 12, 2014, 10:41 PM   #28
Kev

But I used my corporate email so that might be why I don't remember the charge
Old January 12, 2014, 10:43 PM   #29
SHE3PDOG

Moral of the story, if you have a corporate or a .mil or other government email, use it. I don't know why I didn't use my .mil when I signed up. Silly me.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old January 12, 2014, 10:50 PM   #30
Kev

Have you guys used this bad arse website?
I have found a K38 combat masterpiece for 299 and a Astra A60 double stack all steel 380 for 170!

http://www.gunwatcher.com
Old January 12, 2014, 10:52 PM   #31
Dc777

I just signed up. It was a $1 fee for having a " free email address" and a $2 fee for " verification" where they asked about my mortgage payment ( a test to See if your real with some personal financial information" I'm not happy about the fees nor the process but I went through with it.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 12, 2014, 11:02 PM   #32
Kev

Sorry for the hassle hope it's worth it!
Old January 12, 2014, 11:41 PM   #33
silvermane_1

another vote for buying used Ruger or S&W wheelgun
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c
Old January 13, 2014, 09:21 AM   #34
DPris
Member Emeritus

If you buy a lesser-grade foreign gun you risk durability & service issues.
Best would be used Smith or Ruger.
The Security-Six family is no longer supported by Ruger, I understand.
Older Smiths are in about the same category. Those with hammer-mounted firing pins may not be entirely supported by S&W.

What do you mean by spinning the cylinder?
Hopefully you're not spinning it & snapping it closed into the frame.
Denis
Old January 13, 2014, 09:39 AM   #35
longranger

Be sure and look at the Colt Police Positive Special.Some very nice revolvers and lot's of them in your price range as well as some excellent deals if you are patient.
Old January 13, 2014, 09:57 AM   #36
DPris
Member Emeritus

Many of the older Colts are no longer supported by Colt & parts are getting to be a problem. Service is about non-existent.
Get whatever you want, just understand what's involved.
Denis

Last edited by DPris; January 13, 2014 at 11:21 AM.
Old January 13, 2014, 01:48 PM   #37
longranger

Quote:
Many of the older Colts are no longer supported by Colt & parts are getting to be a problem
So don't ever buy a Colt P.P. or any non supported firearm ?. Shoot it one time and it will need service ? Many excellent revolvers out there within the O.P'.s parameters not imported junk or current crop of so-so revolvers. A $300.00 revolver am I going to worry about service ? Knowing the gun has been around 50 years and still functions fine is somehow not a good choice ?
Old January 13, 2014, 03:06 PM   #38
buck460XVR

Used S&W model 10 police trade ins can be still had for under $300. Other than that, finding a quality, full size .38/.357 revolver for under $300 used or $400 new in today's market is gonna be a tad frustrating.
Old January 13, 2014, 04:38 PM   #39
WESHOOT2

all about this

Quote:
Used S&W model 10 police trade ins can be still had for under $300
4" barrel, parts everywhere, and unbelivably responsive to further custom tuning.
Old January 13, 2014, 04:59 PM   #40
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Another vote for the Armscor M200 series. I bought one just like the one in this review and I'm very happy with it: http://ezine.m1911.org/showthread.php?t=140

I don't have hundreds of thousands of rounds through it because, like the OP, I carry a semi-auto, but it has been reliable when shot and the trigger didn't need any "slicking up" out of the box to be very acceptable. It won't take .357 Magnum but then, I wouldn't be shooting .357 Magnum through a small-ish revolver like that anyway. I have a Ruger Blackhawk for that.
Old January 13, 2014, 05:16 PM   #41
old bear

Dc77, understand that .357 Magnum revolvers are addictive, if you have one you will soon feel the NEED to own just one more, and just one more. Until you start to run out of room to store them. So let me suggest this, save your money until you can afford a quality used Smith and Wesson K or L frame .357 Magnum. In the long run you will be much happier. You should be able to find a Nice one for $450.00 - $600.00
Old January 13, 2014, 05:55 PM   #42
Dc777

I should own a nice s&w .357 magnum by now, but I don't. My grandfather left all of his guns to me and that is one of them, however my grandmother won't cough them up. My father has asked me to let it go so that there isn't tension between him and his mother. With my name in the will and everything I'm being screwed over. All sorts of guns in that house that should be in my gun room. Anyway, the .357 is expensive to shoot a lot ( for me anyway). I really just want a revolver to have a revolver. I wish I didn't trade my Rossi off

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:27 PM   #43
Garycw

The armscor is very good for the price. It's just nowhere near the fit & finish of a S&W. you might find a used model 10-6 for around $300. I had a new Armscor and sold and bought a S&W.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:34 PM   #44
Super Sneaky Steve

I bought my model 10 a few months ago for $200 OTD. It's a very accurate sweet shooting revolver.

There's no reason to buy a new junk gun from Brazil when you can have America's finest for less.
Old January 13, 2014, 07:43 PM   #45
Homerboy

You wanna spend 300 bucks on a revolver but can get a much better one for 400. Is the hundred bucks really gonna break you? I would never buy a Rossi or a Taurus. Why buy a cheaply made gun?

Ruger service six is probably your best bet. Less than 400. Sure you can find a pos for less than that. If you insist on 300 then forget the 357
And get a used model 10
Old January 13, 2014, 07:50 PM   #46
Dc777

Homer- your not picking up what I'm laying down and your not smelling what I'm stepping in. I can go to bass pro right now and spend $1200 or so on one of the .500 s&w's if I wanted to, but that's not what I want. I'm not a revolver guy.... I'm a semi auto pistol and deer rifle guy. I just want a revolver to somewhat complete my collection. I have deer rifles, shotguns, semi auto pistols, single shot guns, ar's, Ak's, sks's etc etc. I just want a cheap revolver. It won't be shot much, if anything my intentions are to look at it and spin the cylinder.

Old January 13, 2014, 07:58 PM   #47
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc777
I should own a nice s&w .357 magnum by now, but I don't. My grandfather left all of his guns to me and that is one of them, however my grandmother won't cough them up. My father has asked me to let it go so that there isn't tension between him and his mother. With my name in the will and everything I'm being screwed over.
If the guns were left to you by name in the will, whoever is the executor of the estate MUST turn them over to you before the estate can be closed in probate court.

What/how is your relationship with your grandmother? If you are close, I can't imagine her NOT turning over to you what your grandfather obviously intended for you to have. If you are not close to your grandmother, then I'd suggest ignoring your father and taking your complaint directly to the judge of probate. You ARE being screwed over, and that's not only "not right," it's also "not legal." And if the executor closes the estate without having complied with the terms of the will, he/she could be in a heap of legal trouble.
Old January 13, 2014, 08:13 PM   #48
Garycw

Inexpensive .357 revolver recommendation??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc777 View Post
Homer- your not picking up what I'm laying down and your not smelling what I'm stepping in. I can go to bass pro right now and spend $1200 or so on one of the .500 s&w's if I wanted to, but that's not what I want. I'm not a revolver guy.... I'm a semi auto pistol and deer rifle guy. I just want a revolver to somewhat complete my collection. I have deer rifles, shotguns, semi auto pistols, single shot guns, ar's, Ak's, sks's etc etc. I just want a cheap revolver. It won't be shot much, if anything my intentions are to look at it and spin the cylinder.
Ok, I'd suggest a nagant revolver then for a collection that may rarely if ever shot. Lots of history, unique design and its a revolver with a cylinder that spins.
I like the spin of the S&W better though
Old January 13, 2014, 08:23 PM   #49
Dc777

Aguila- I love my grandmother but the past few years I havnt gone to her house with my dad as much as I used to. My father is very important to me and he has always been there for me, and I honestly consider him my best friend. I don't want to hack my dad off. Her idea is to have a " drawing" for the guns as other family members have certain things that they want. I'm in a tight spot as far as the situation goes. I havnt even seen all of the guns that are out there but the ones that I have seen and peak my curiosity are the following: s&w .357 with a long barrel ( don't know the model), browning a bolt s/s .300 mag with boss system and Leupod scope, savage o/u 12 guage with engraving, remington 870 with the price tag hanging off if it, unfired, marlin 336s, ruger p89 dao, ruger buck mark, German Luger, and a Winchester .22 ( the first gun I ever shot).. According to my dad there are about 20 other guns on top of what I've mentioned. He has said tat he will pursued her and has a good point about him being te most persuasive however I havnt seen him doing squat. I really don't know what to do without hacking my dad off.

Last edited by Spats McGee; January 14, 2014 at 11:17 AM. Reason: Removing profanity
Old January 13, 2014, 08:27 PM   #50
Homerboy

Dc. I understand what you are saying. But if you want a revolver for your
Collection you must take pride in your guns and putting a cheap pos like a Taurus or a Rossi in an otherwise nice collection just seems wrong

And a s&w revolver belongs in every collection