The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old September 20, 2012, 03:37 PM   #1
jer_t

Looking into getting an AR15. Suggestions?

I am in the market to get an AR-15. With so much information out there, it is difficult to get a grasp of what I need to get in an AR-15 for what I want to do with it. So any help would be appreciated.

I am looking for an AR-15 in .223 that can accept a 300 AAC blackout barrel. I've read that it is possible. Has anyone done this? How do you like it? I want a 300 AAC blackout for a couple of reasons: 1) I want to use it for deer/elk hunting and 2) I want to be able to take spent cartridges from shooting .223 and reload them for 300 AAC (which I know can be done by trimming down the neck of the casing). The reason that I don't go straight to 300 AAC is simply my budget. I'm looking for something in the price range of $1000 or less. I just want to make sure that I get something that I can add to later, when the funds are available.

Companies that I keep hearing about: RRA, Armalite, DPMS. Which one would have a good platform for hunting? What should I look for in a AR hunting rifle?

Thanks!
Old September 20, 2012, 04:23 PM   #2
Creeper

Quote:
I am looking for an AR-15 in .223 that can accept a 300 AAC blackout barrel. I've read that it is possible.
Yes... just a barrel change. Do you know what is necessary (tools, processes and knowledge) to change a barrel on an AR? It's not hard, but it does require a few tools and a knowledge of how to use them.

Quote:
Companies that I keep hearing about: RRA, Armalite, DPMS. Which one would have a good platform for hunting? What should I look for in a AR hunting rifle?
Once everyone has read your post a few times and realize that you actually want is a recommendation for a 5.56 AR in the $1000 or less range, you'll get lots of them. The number of guns in the $1000 and under category are too numerous (and sometimes a bit "fluid") to list them all.

The difference between a hunting AR and a "other use" AR is frequently not much... sometimes it's just a paint job and a flash hiders difference. With the better ones, they will omit the iron sights, give you a high quality barrel with no mil cuts and a un-threaded muzzle, a low-pro gas block and a floating forend tube. These last few items will be advantageous to you if you want to do (relatively) easy barrel changes.

C
Old September 20, 2012, 05:00 PM   #3
SFW

Not to be a dick, but why not just buy a 30-30? Same range and cheaper to shoot. Sure, it doesn't look as cool but other than that whats the point? Seriously. I have a buddy who has a 300 whisper and loves it, but if you want a good deer rifle, there are so many better options.
Old September 20, 2012, 05:24 PM   #4
bedlamite

300BO fails on your first point. It's acceptable for deer out to 150-200 yards, for elk you want something better.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:23 AM   #5
rsilvers

30-30 is more expensive than 300 AAC Blackout:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...eLow&catid=545

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemL...Low&catid=6908

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/gun...0-aac-blackout

As for "150 to 200 yards..."

Here is the result at 300 yards from a 9 inch barrel:

Old September 22, 2012, 09:45 AM   #6
bedlamite

rsilvers, no matter how much kool-aid you try and pass around, you're still just trying to sell a glorified 30 carbine, and it's marginally ethical at best for deer and has absolutely no business being used for elk.

Last edited by bedlamite; September 22, 2012 at 10:10 AM.