The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 16, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1
peteshooter

New at reloading and need help

First of all I would like to say I am new to the forum. I shoot mostly small cal rifle target and a lot of clays with shotgun. My son and I shoot clays and its gotten very expensive buying decent shells. We are wanting to get into reloading shotshells first. Wm both shoot 20#ga as I have a bad shoulder and want to learn to load a lighter loaded shell also. I would like to go ahead and buy a nice press and a progressive to begin with if posible. We dont have a buget but I dont want to get to carried away. I have read forums and looked at several presses online. We dont know anyone locally that does a lot of reloading on progressive loaders so we can go try one out or watch anyone loading any. I live in fayetteville nc so there is no one here that sells them as well. I guess I could ask around at the range we sometimes shoot at and maybe get lucky. We practice out at a farm that I own and we have our own skeet machines set up so we dont range to much.

I have seen a lot of folks talking about there loaders and some want have but dillon some want have but PW and some want have but hornady. I am sure they are all good presses and they all seem to have one thing or another that folks dont like or whatever. I was strongly looking at the mec 9000 at least to start out as they are quit reasonable and fairly easy to use or thats what I have heard anyway. I guess there is nothing like first hand experience to help with what loader to buy. Any insight you guys can give me would help a lot. Is one easier to use than the other or ???? thank you so much for your advice.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:42 PM   #2
grubbylabs

I have a Mec Jr. single stage, I really like my Mec but I have never used a progressive.

Oh you should also look at a web site called Ballistic Products Inc. http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

Good place to buy shell reloading stuff. Not to mention a press.

Nope, the old nag's still dead .
(Capt Charlie)
Old May 16, 2010, 11:04 PM   #3
SpeedLoader

I have a Dillion shotshell progressive with all the bells and whistles. Yep...I shot alot!

As with any progressive, providing you have all the settings setup right, a box of shells can be rolled off in a couple of minutes. The problem with a progressive is that you have to be faithful in rechecking the settings ( powder, shot, etc ).

Find a good progressive that you can afford - such as the MEC - and wear it out reloading...it is a lot of fun and your kid will love it!!
Old May 16, 2010, 11:12 PM   #4
l98ster

I have been using a MEC sizemaster (single stage) for many years and have found it to be an EXCELLENT machine.

Obviously not as fast as a progressive machine, but the quality is VERY good, and it is extremely consistent. I have well over 40,000 rounds made with it and they have all gone bang!

As far as cost goes, it is fairly economical as far as reloading machines go. I believe you can find them new for about 200 bucks. Its the cost of the reloading components thats going to start ******* you off!!!

Good luck!
-George
Old May 16, 2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Mike1

Welcome to the Board! I have a Mec 600jr for 20ga, and both a 600jr and an old Grabber for 12ga. You can load 3-4 boxes an hour on the 600. Since you say you shoot "a lot," I assume several boxes on an outing. The 9000 has an excellent reputation and would probably be well worth the investment. The component prices are terrible these days, but may drop back down a little. I think AA hulls and either AA wads or a substitute are probably the least expensive way to go (for example, once fired 20ga AA hulls go for about $8 per hundred in CO) Most of the shot available, at least in my area, is hard shot, so you can make premium loads at about half the cost of the cheap promotional loads in the stores.
Old May 18, 2010, 02:45 PM   #6
peteshooter

Bought a used mec 600 jr 12 ga with the 20 ga die

Thank you guys for the info I decided to go with a single stage till I feel more comfortable with what I am doing and also to make sure I going to like reloading. I bought a 600 jr 12 Ga with a 20 ga die kit with it and some shot and wads and other extras for a 100 bucks. Just like new loaded less than a case of shells. It was still in the original box and has been on a guys shelf for 20 yrs. I feel at least I can learn what I am doing on it and then go progressive if I feel the need.

I have got to get some charge bars and bushings that is all I have to buy besides some components of coarse.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:20 PM   #7
oneounceload

A 20 will NOT necessarily give you less recoil - if you load a 12 down to 20 or 28 levels and shoot it in the heavier 12 gauge gun, the recoil will be less.

If not possible, get your gun fitted - that is the first place to start, add a good recoil pad for second. Third, reload a light 7/8 oz load (or less) running around 1180fps. Shoot the heaviest gun you can find - remembering that target versions will typically be more than a pound heavier than the same gun in a field version.

I use a MEC Jr. easy to use, with Universal Clays running ab out 15.5 grains and 7/8 of lead - works great in my 7+pound 20 gauge target guns.

Since you have the single stage, you may want to look at a Universal Charge Bar instead of a collection of bushings - that way you can dial in your exact recipe and not settle for "something close"

Good luck