The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 23, 2008, 03:24 PM   #1
joeybolz

Trigger Job

Any pro's around here ever try to do a trigger job on a Ballester? The trigger itself with its integral spring has alot of tension that adds to the pull. The sear spring might hold up a large Tonka dump truck and the sear itself looks to be borderline pointy while the hammer hook looks three miles high and not at a 90 degree angle.
Old March 23, 2008, 05:54 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

Never did a B/M, but have done lots of Stars. Same design.
Just use common sense. Polish all bearing surfaces-including the transfer bar and the frame where the bar rides.
Old March 24, 2008, 05:59 AM   #3
Martyn4802

What Bill said.
I've done a lot of rifle triggers.
Much of the pull weight on a trigger comes from friction. Polish mating, moving parts and don't change any angles.

Martyn
Old March 27, 2008, 07:44 PM   #4
Harry Bonar

ballester-molina

Sir:
Right, just don't change any angles and--when that right grip panel is off be SURE the disconnecter falls below the sear bar as intended. I've seen them be pretty close sometimes.
Ballesters are pretty good pistols and - no- they werent made out of steel from the Graff Spree German battleship.
Harry B.
Old March 27, 2008, 08:05 PM   #5
wjkuleck

Quote:
Ballesters are pretty good pistols
The early pistols are marked "Ballester-Rigaud." I have a first year B-R, S/N 3xx.

I also have a couple of .22 Service Ace-like B-Ms. The Argentines were nothing if not clever.

I find it interesting that the HAFDASA pistols, the B-R & B-M, were made to replace the supply of Colt Modelo 1927 (M1911A1) pistols embargoed by the USA from just before WWII to 1947, and then displaced by the M1927, whose licensed production was arranged starting in 1947. HAFDASA eventually went out of business. The Modelo 1927 was in its turn replaced by a domestically produced Browning/FN Hi Power.

Regards,

Walt
The M1 Garand Complete Assembly Guide
The AR-15 Complete Assembly
and (New 4th Edition) Owner's Guides
Old March 28, 2008, 10:37 AM   #6
Harry Bonar

Ballesters

Sir:
Nice sample! We always lowered the ejection port to a height of .475, matted the top of slide and bordered it, cut for a set of Novak sights and installed a new barrel. It really made a great looking pistol out of it. The barrel assy. and magazines were the only interchangeable parts from the 1911 - but to be honest I liked the disconnector mechanism better of the Nallesters better than the 1911!
Harry B.