The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 3, 2008, 07:54 PM   #1
berkmberk1

Baby's getting new clothes

The Bounty Hunter is getting new grips..........if I didn't bite off more than I can chew. If it works, it younger brother will get some too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pict0005.JPG (157.8 KB, 177 views)
Old March 3, 2008, 08:13 PM   #2
long rider

Yes there is, two good pistols
Old March 3, 2008, 08:56 PM   #3
long rider

Keep us posted on how it turns out, i am thinking
of changing out my westen marshal's grips,and i was
going the same way with the 3 piece system.
Show some pics of the finished product, i would be
intrested to see how it turns out thanks.
Old March 3, 2008, 09:17 PM   #4
berkmberk1

I just loved the looks of the one piece grips I had on my Cimarron Cavalry model (deceased 2007, RIP). The wood on the Bounty Hunter is nice, but I still wanted the "clean" look. According to the vendor (Gripmaker, Carthage, MO.) these will "Age" thru oxidation.

Now I just have to get up the nerve to start cutting, grinding, scraping, filing, and/or sanding..................
Old March 3, 2008, 09:31 PM   #5
long rider

Aw ge dont cut to fast or grind or sand or file oh my god i
cant take it ?****? allmost past out in the excitement.

Just take your time.
Old March 4, 2008, 12:27 PM   #6
Steve499

I just made a set of grips for a Uberti .45. It had a brass backstrap and trigger guard originally. I ordered new steel ones and had to make new grips. I made the two grip halves and glued them to a center piece. The one piece grip would be beyond my skill level otherwise.

I second the request to keep us posted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MVC-153F.JPG (126.6 KB, 63 views)
Old March 4, 2008, 01:20 PM   #7
berkmberk1

Very original looking Steve. Great job.

Larry Little at Gripmaker was telling me thats how Uberti makes their "one piece"...in three pieces! Still.....its one piece when you're done and it allows a cleaner look. Anyone know if Colt always carved one piece designs or did they ever assemble them with glue.....makes a lot of sense from a labor aspect.

I guess you two guys talked me into doing a little "show and tell" piece on making the grips. It will definitely help me to take my time, and hopefully improve the outcome. I'll likely get started in a day or two........I have to clear off my bench and assemble my tools..............
Old March 4, 2008, 02:49 PM   #8
Hawg

If I'm not mistaken and don't think I am Colt made theirs from one piece. May I ask why you want one piece grips? Two piece are more appropriate for that frame style.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:05 PM   #9
long rider

I made a set of grips for my 58 rem and when i finished
they looked 150 years old, this is how i made them.
I had a old set of 58 grips did not like the finish so i
took them down to the bear wood, then i sprayed them
with white enamel about five light coats, then i sprayed
them with five coats of polyurethane inbetween each
coat i uesd a hair dryer wich it turned the grips a creamy
yellow, then to finish of i sprayed the grips with a clear
hard enamel to protecet the finish. They turned out better
than i thought.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:16 PM   #10
berkmberk1

Quote:
May I ask why you want one piece grips? Two piece are more appropriate for that frame style.
Because I like the look. I don't like escutcheon screws and their bosses. I like a clean, simple look, especially with an ivory or faux ivory material, having a dark screw head smack dab in the middle sort of detracts from the beauty.....In my opinion.
Old March 4, 2008, 08:25 PM   #11
long rider

I agree with you, you can not beat the clean look.
Old March 4, 2008, 11:11 PM   #12
berkmberk1

Lets begin

First, I hope I may be excused if this is the incorrect part of the forum to post this, but I figure it deals with a BP six gun and some people seem interested in this thread. (Some of the photos aren't very good because I'm using an Intel web cam.)

Anyway...

A good work space is important to keep things organized and to prevent damaging other surfaces (my dining table is glass!). I use this 1980s vintage Workmate because I live in an apartment and don't have a shop or permanent workbench. While its been used for woodworking projects in the past, its primary use is my loading bench. Its been to Texas, North Carolina, and (then) West Germany. The work top is 1 1/4 X 11. I don't know what it did in its past life, but its a loading/gunsmithing/cleaning bench now. I used to have a rifle cleaning cradle that clamped to it but with a few moves and a divorce its seemed to have relocated itself. What isn't apparent are the sliding clamps securing the top to the table and the clamp on work light with magnifier on the far end. My eyes aren't what they used to be so a magnifying glass with a built in light is great for this sort of thing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench.JPG (194.9 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by berkmberk1; March 6, 2008 at 09:33 PM. Reason: forgot to put in the picture
Old March 4, 2008, 11:18 PM   #13
berkmberk1

The Kit

When completed, the kit makes a one piece installation. The instructions are pretty clear and easy to follow. It comes with the two grip panels, a filler block, and a "freebie" panel to practice on. The detail on this Masonic emblemed panel gives you an idea of the quality of the Gripmaker's product.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg kit instructions.JPG (97.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg parts.JPG (110.3 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg mason grip.JPG (115.8 KB, 45 views)
Old March 4, 2008, 11:25 PM   #14
berkmberk1

Tools

The instructions recommend a Dremel type tool, agressive and fine
files, wet/dry sandpaper, and a sharp knife, among others. Since this installation doesn't call for locating pins or an escutcheon and screws, I won't need my power drill.

As you can see, I'm not the Craftsman/Powermate type, but I believe this pile of stuff should work alright. If not......Ace is the Place and its only three blocks down the street!

I guess there's no turning back now!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tools.JPG (146.2 KB, 40 views)
Old March 5, 2008, 06:53 AM   #15
Hawg

I hope they turn out well for you.
Old March 5, 2008, 09:11 AM   #16
Steve499

I checked out the website for the Gripmaker, http://www.gripmaker.com/ , and I wasn't sure which kit you ordered. The plain #4 would be what I'd think for a Colt 1873, but the picture of the plain grip shows a screw hole. Which one do you have?
Old March 5, 2008, 01:15 PM   #17
berkmberk1

I really can't say for sure. The label says "SA Plain".

Since it isn't a real Colt, or one of the more common clones, Larry had me send him tracings of the frame. Then.....get this......he phoned me on a Saturday morning to discuss my options (he couldn't get thru on my email......hows that for service?). It turns out that the frame is very close to a real SAA. I could have gotten the screw on ones, but when I asked him about one piecers, he said he had a kit that should work and sent it to me. By the way, as long as you don't do any work on them, you can send them back for a refund.......neat!!

When I got the kit I took my grips off and "eyeballed" the fit. The grips themselves only overlap the frame MAYBE 1/16 of an inch in most areas......not much to trim. The filler will need a little shaving to clear the mainspring screw and a little thinning to fit flush in the frame.

If interested but in doubt, send him a tracing of the frame along with the make and model and I would have no doubt he could fit you.
Old March 5, 2008, 09:47 PM   #18
long rider

Hey berkmberk1
I can not for some reson click on to
your attached images.
I will try again.
Old March 5, 2008, 10:42 PM   #19
berkmberk1

They work fine for me.......what browser might you be using?
Old March 6, 2008, 12:36 PM   #20
long rider

OK pard, i dont know what happened but i am back
with the picture?????. I just checked out your images
and they came up i got a little worred then.
OK keep at it.
Old March 6, 2008, 01:07 PM   #21
berkmberk1

I plan to start trimming tonite when I get home from work. Couldn't last night the "good woman" came over for dinner..........

I'll post some more pictures tonite. Glad you can finally see them.
Old March 6, 2008, 08:49 PM   #22
berkmberk1

Slow and easy is the ticket

Tonite I experimented with the spare grip panel.

The material is hard enough, but files, grinding attachments and sandpaper/drums all take it off pretty easily....just some faster than others.

My first step was to take the old grips off and check what sort of overlap/excess I had to work with. As you can see, this panel is already a close fit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 01.JPG (136.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 02.JPG (141.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg 04.JPG (95.7 KB, 27 views)
Old March 6, 2008, 08:59 PM   #23
berkmberk1

The real panels have quite a bit more material to take off, so the moto tool will be the way to go.

The instructions show working on the front of the grip first. This is where the grip butts up against the rear of the main frame. There's quite a bit of excess on the panels, so taking off about an 1/8 in here will alleviate the need to take a lot off the back. The downside is in the front. Where it fits the grip frame good and flush now, it will overlap and require reducing. :barf:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 05.JPG (125.3 KB, 24 views)
File Type: jpg 07a.JPG (116.3 KB, 25 views)
File Type: jpg 08.JPG (141.7 KB, 26 views)
Old March 6, 2008, 09:10 PM   #24
berkmberk1

I scribed the outline of the frame with a fine mechanical pencil..........said a bunch of prayers.........and then tried out a file (no go), exacto knife (no go), sandpaper (ok), and then my moto tool with a grinding attachment.....)wow )....and finally a drum sander attachment (two thumbs up....

After taking the profile down as far as the scribed line, I attacked the panel with some 150 paper to meld in the spots where I used the grinder (sort of rough) and contour the areas where I used the drum (which I'll use on the final products). After that I progressed to some 400 wet/dry paper to even things out even further.

I'm not the most patient man when it comes to "projects" as I want a finished product NOW! But I spent a little over an hour just on this one panel.....to get a feel for the material. I'll take more time on the real deal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 09.JPG (109.0 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg 10.JPG (115.9 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg 11.JPG (129.6 KB, 22 views)
Old March 6, 2008, 09:23 PM   #25
berkmberk1

Doing this by hand isn't the easiest thing in the world, but with a little patience I should have the two panels done in a few hours...not tonite....thats when I get the nerve.......probably start tomorrow......

These next photos show the practice grip "mocked up".

The nexts stages will then be: fitting the filler block (which shouldn't be anything), epoxying everything together (no room for error), and then finishing and polishing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pict0011.JPG (124.1 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Pict0012a.JPG (137.1 KB, 27 views)
File Type: jpg Pict0013.JPG (138.7 KB, 36 views)