The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 16, 2013, 04:30 PM   #1
Diesel77

Basics - Proper Mounting

So now that I've been bitten by the bug, I want to get better at handling and shooting my shotgun.

Let me begin by saying that I don't have the means to shorten stocks, etc. so I just need some input on making what I have work.

I have a Maverick 88 12 ga 28" bbl. From what I've found online, apparently it's best to mount to your cheek first, then to your shoulder. Please excuse my novice questions:

1. What part of my cheek is supposed to be on the comb (that's what it's called, right?)?
2. Where on the comb is my cheek supposed to be?
3. Where on my shoulder is the butt of the stock supposed to be?
4. Am I supposed to keep both eyes open when I aim and fire?
5. Any other tips to get me started right?

Thanks!
-D
Old January 16, 2013, 05:31 PM   #2
BigD_in_FL

First off, a shotgun is pointed, not aimed - unless you are talking about shooting it like a rifle with slugs.

The butt stock goes into the pocket between your shoulder and collar bone, THEN you may need to slightly lower your head so your cheek rests comfortably on the comb. If you have to mash your head down with a lot of strain and you mash your cheek down hard on the comb, the stock does not fit you. If you are seeing the rib and not just the bead, your comb needs adjusting otherwise you'll be shooting too high.

Yes you keep both eyes open - that gives you depth perception, just like a pistol. Your eyes are the rear "sights"

You might try going to a trap/skeet club and explain your newness to them. Most places always seem to have an old stalwart around who can give you some basic pointers and correct some misconceptions.

Do NOT stand perpendicular to your target like hi-power rifle shooters do - you won't be able to move with the gun successfully.

If RH, stand square to your target area, your left foot should slightly more forward than your right, both about shoulder width apart and toes in a 10 and 2 type position - it should be a natural and comfortable stance, don't overthink it
Old January 17, 2013, 03:30 PM   #3
BigJimP

There are a lot of good DVD's and books out there ...on all of the clay target sports....take a look around at your local book store.

But most importantly - get out to your local club...and shoot a few lines of Trap singles to start with probably. Learn a few things about your shotgun ...see if it fits you reasonably well...and have some fun.

Talk to an experienced shooter at your local club...they'll probably help you out ....a lot of this has to be done in person, where someone can see what you're doing ....not over the internet.
Old January 17, 2013, 04:48 PM   #4
Erno86

To make the stance work...get the stock shortened, if need be.

Put the majority of your weight, on the balls of your feet, knees slightly bent, lean forward...as if you are almost ready to fall forward. Have your stance ready, before you mount the gun to your shoulder. Have someone make a video of you mounting the gun --- so you can pick-out any mistakes.
Before you mount the gun...have the muzzle pointed towards the target; or intended area of the target. Shoot at least 6 rapid fire shots...if the recoil pushes you back --- your stance is wrong --- or you might need to shorten the stock.

An excellent DVD: Mat Burkett's, Shotgun Mastery
Old January 17, 2013, 08:51 PM   #5
BigD_in_FL

I'll disagree about shortening a stock until he knows if it fits. Way too,any people who used m4s think a shotgun should have youth LOP stocks, and that is incorrect for most applications, especially hunting and target shooting .

There is no reason to shoot 6 rapid shots to see if the recoil knoćks you backwards, that proves nothing.
Better to have the gun fit properly and use the proper form, then the shooter can do what he is supposed to do - focus on the target and not the fit or recoil.

Last edited by BigD_in_FL; January 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Stupid IPad self spelling
Old January 18, 2013, 10:55 AM   #6
Diesel77

Thanks for the responses.

About shortening the stock, that's not really an option for me right now - I'm trying to not spend anymore money on the gun.

Moreover, what I'm trying to understand and get right is how to mount and point a shotgun the right way, whatever the fit may be.

Of course it's smart to make sure that the gun I use the most fits right, but working with what I have and what other guns I may pick up and try that aren't mine, I want to handle them properly, regardless of the fit.