The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 8, 2013, 12:01 PM   #26
BigJimP

Yesterday ....( 5 boxes of 9mm )....with one of my favorite 1911's.../ I continue to go to the range at least twice a week...

Ammo / and reloading components in my area is readily available....easy to buy in case lots at the bigger gunshows in my area...and most all of my local ranges, gun stores ....have all the common calibers in inventory.

Depends on how much you want to shoot ...but I can see keeping 2 - 3 months of ammo on hand ....either retail / or in reloading components. Maybe build it up to 6 months( if you buy in case lots )....shoot some ....and when it gets down to 2 - 3 months ...build it back up.
Old November 8, 2013, 12:27 PM   #27
RockDTMC

I try to get to the range at least every other week. Trying to go more often now because I finally got my wife into shooting and she needs a lot of practice.
Old November 8, 2013, 12:29 PM   #28
Ryu825

I go to the range every Wednesday like clockwork. Or, at least I try to these days. Only one day off every week so sometimes I have something else I need to do. I shoot 22lr, 9mm, .45acp, 38sp, .357m, and 7.62x39. Finding ammo isn't as big a problem for me as some of you guys as I get lucky at Walmart a lot, but I have almost ran out of 38, 357 though.
Old November 8, 2013, 12:58 PM   #29
Robk

Was there just last Sunday. Going again this weekend. But after saying this, last week was my first range trip in almost 2 months. Just not enough time these days. Will have less soon as I shoot at a semi out door range (shoot from inside at targets outside,part of our noise mitigation for the club). Had to go last week to see what I could use for USPSA next year. Going this week to finally shoot my new SIG X5E. Newest of the new X5s.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:05 PM   #30
Rifleman1952

Last Saturday, I burned through about 100 rounds of .380 out of my Bersa Thunder CC. Visiting the range about once a week with various firearms. The great craziness seems to have died down for now. Plenty of ammo saved for a rainy day. I usually buy a new box or two before practice.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:38 PM   #31
RBid

When was your last visit to the range?

I'm not shooting the 150-250/week I was running through before Sandy Hook, but I'm still out for 50 every second week or more (never less). The past 3 weeks, I've shot 100/week, including 100 this morning before work. More importantly, I do a LOT more dry fire and practice at home than I did before. My shooting, draw, reloads, transitions, etc have all dramatically improved, even as I've shot less.
Old November 8, 2013, 01:48 PM   #32
PawPaw

My last match was in September, although I got in a little recreational shooting in October. Since deer season is on me, all my spare time is in the woods, so I haven't had any trigger time since then. The grandkids are agitating for a little recoil therapy, so I may take them to our personal range on Sunday.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old November 8, 2013, 02:09 PM   #33
ks_wayward_son

Thats great that most of you guys haven't really missed a beat. Life events, like some of you mentioned, had a big impact on my shooting time. Just this last month I got married and it has been great. Right after I had proposed, I decided to have the mindset to devote most of the finances to saving for the celebration. Yet every time I went to a Walmart or Cabelas or something, I just "had to" go visit the gun counters/ammunition shelves. Just kept thinking to myself "stay the course". Now that things have settled down, I am eager to get back to it. I too want to get into reloading. I have the press and a few dies, just need components and a good bench to get started.
Old November 8, 2013, 04:42 PM   #34
bikerbill

About a month ago ... I've cut back from every week or so to once a month, simply because I can't find enough ammo -- or afford it when I do find it -- to go more often. I take only the guns I carry, along with my nightstand gun. Fun guns will have to wait until supplies return to more normal levels.
Old November 8, 2013, 05:54 PM   #35
Ozzieman

Last weekend and I have been shooting just about every other weekend. I have a good full time job but it’s the great wife I have that makes it possible to leave on weekends for a full day.
The ammo shortage has not affected my shooting in the least. You can call me a hoarder if you want I don’t care. I purchased several years ago when the prices were still down and at the same time loaded up on reloading supplies.
I hear a lot of people complaining about the lack of ammunition. Last year at the start of the craze a local store had green boxes with 4000 rounds of Rem 22 LR for 130$. I told friends and told them and told them but nobody listened. They had over 100 boxes and were gone in two days.
I saw some num nut on arms list recently wanted 800$ for the same box.
I am sorry but the craze hit after the first election and I bought a lot of 9mm and 45 ACP then. I did it again this time.
Those of you that would call me a hoarder, I’m ok with that but anyone that couldn’t see what was coming after the numerous horrible events that took place this year and last are blind.
Me I’m shooting.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:07 PM   #36
pgdion

Way too long. Tried to get out 5 of the last 7 weeks and no go. Each time the light was gone before the work was done. Worst of all, it was even on my own property! Two times there were just to many people up there riding toys to shoot but the others were just way too busy.

Bummer because ammo was never a problem. I'd rather buy usually but I can reload enough to keep shooting. And I have a massive pile of cans to 'recycle'. And now ... a 3 week blackout for hunting season. (Maybe I can get a trip in to the indoor range)
Old November 8, 2013, 06:16 PM   #37
pgdion

Hey Ozzie, anyone buying up when the supply is good is not a hoarder. They are just being smart and in reality we help everyone out. Those who fill the carts and clear the shelves when the panic starts, they are the problem. It's because of that selfish thinking that we have shortages. Always buy at a steady pace when supply is good.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:28 PM   #38
4runnerman

I am with Ozzie. I loaded up years ago. Shortage has not affected me either. I was not a hoarder by far. I just ( starting 3 years ago) everytime I went to Walmart or Scheels ,I would pick up a few boxes here and there. Well over 20,000 rounds of 22 lr and more than enough primers,powder and bullets to last. I have sold some 22 to a few guys at work and the range to help them out as well. I sell for what I bought it for- No mark up from me.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:38 PM   #39
dayman

As for me "the range" is self constructed, and a short walk out the back door - the last time was last Friday.
I would have gone since, but I don't go out during hunting season in the vain hope that the deer will forget that I have guns. But finding practice ammo is a non issue for me at this point. They don't have anything I want/need every time I go, but I never need to go more than a couple time to find something in stock.
.22 is the only thing I'm still having a hard time finding. I'm down to my last couple bricks, and starting to conserve at this point.
I'm pretty sure I have less .22 than I do 9mm or .38/.357.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:54 PM   #40
Nick_C_S

I've been shooting for years, but tapered off a great deal for some time. But September last year, I decided to get back into shooting heavy like I used to. So I started stocking up on supplies just before the shortages hit. I'm really glad I got a few month's head start on the stockpiling, or I really would have been behind the 8-ball.

My range is only 3 miles away, and I visited it frequently throughout this past year. All the while, standing in line on Thursday mornings at my local Sportsmen's Warehouse - along with 200 of my new friends - to purchase any components that may suit my needs. It wasn't ideal (a previous post stated that it's counterproductive to stock up during times of scarcity), but I did what I had to do and it payed off. I have a very nice stockpile of components (and I'll maintain it from now on); and I did it all while shooting a lot of rounds at the range (and IDPA events) quite frequently.
Old November 8, 2013, 06:55 PM   #41
wpsdlrg

The last time ? Last weekend. I go every weekend, unless events (or the weather) make this impossible.
Old November 8, 2013, 07:42 PM   #42
tony pasley

With daylight savings time I shoot Fri., sat,. sun. those are my days off range is in my front yard.
Old November 9, 2013, 01:54 AM   #43
9mmfan

An actual range? Right at or almost a year ago.

Last time shooting was on a camping/shooting trip I went on in mid October. Shot a mess o' stuff. Garand, single actions, Rossi '92, AR, my old .38, couple mags out of my 1911 and my Glock, my coach gun, blasted off the 870 a few times, shot some .30-06 out of my Savage, a few precious .22s outta my 795. Might have shot my Highway Patrolman, don't remember. Took my 336, but didn't end up shooting it. We all topped off the day shooting my buddy's ArmaLite AR50A1. That's a nice way to end a day of shooting. Particularly as I wasn't paying for the ammo.

If you haven't cut a hole in the side of a pumpkin and put a jar of Tannerite inside, I highly recommend it.

Time before that was August on my in-laws' land. Not as extensive, but I hadn't shot since the aforementioned range trip prior to moving out here. It was well overdue, and a load of fun.

There has been talk of some skeet shooting out there now that it has cooled off. Gotta get that bug planted, I am ready.

Not being able to shoot and finally starting to reload .45 Colt and .38 special, I really haven't been too inconvenienced on the ammo shortage front. I have less than 50 rounds of .22 on hand now, so I will likely feel that crunch soon. Have plenty of everything else. Not as much as a lot of folks, but for my little old needs, I'm pretty well set for the time being.
Old November 9, 2013, 01:59 AM   #44
NWPilgrim

When was your last visit to the range?

Just went today, again. With family and we had great fun blasting steel targets. Roughly sighted in my Marlin 1894 .44 mag. The M29 was banging the gong consistently with my 10 gr Unique and 240 gr hardcast load. Tried someone's Mosin for the first time. I love that old rifle! Went through about 500 rds minimum.
Old November 9, 2013, 06:53 AM   #45
Jim Watson

I haven't been shooting since Thursday, won't go again until later this morning (Saturday IDPA match.)
Seems like components are getting more available, at least pistol bullets which was my purchase last week. Fortunately I had just bought powder and primers before the Panic.
Factory centerfires seem available but at very high prices vs last year before the election and high profile crimes/gun control drive.
Old November 9, 2013, 11:18 AM   #46
JayCee

Yesterday...Friday is my shootin' day...

“If I owned Texas and hell, I'd rent out Texas and live in hell.” - General Phillip H. Sheridan
Old November 9, 2013, 08:27 PM   #47
arizona98tj

This past Monday was my most recent trip. I had gotten my Springfield XDs45 back from the recall. It needed a post recall evaluation to ensure it was still worthy of CCW use.
Old November 9, 2013, 08:33 PM   #48
Bob Wright

This morning.

Bob Wright
Old November 9, 2013, 10:13 PM   #49
3.Shot.Group.

My idea of conserving ammo is better shot placement. I shoot at least once a week, and as many as 3 times a week.

The more you shoot, the less ammo you'll need when you need it.(hey, there's my sig)
Old November 10, 2013, 12:28 AM   #50
Hammerhead

Today (Saturday).

Even though I have plenty of centerfire components, I haven't been in the mood to handload lately. So I put my Burris Fastfire III on my Mark II and I went out and blasted away with some pre-panic Federal bulk and Win Super X HV, even shot up some of my Stingers in my CZ Scout.

I was finally able to get some Mini Mags on order, so I don't mind burning up a little ammo.

My stash of Velocitors and pre-Federal Blazer remains tucked away.