The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 21, 2013, 06:49 PM   #1
j3hill

Colt DA41 question

So I have this 92 NAVY and was thinking about two things. Parting it out to Numrich or trying to restore it at God knows what cost and something that I will never shoot. Any suggestions?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DA41 002.jpg (51.9 KB, 49 views)
Old May 21, 2013, 07:32 PM   #2
PetahW

I'd put it on www.gunbroker.com in a 7-day auction & watch the fun before I'd part it out.

Old May 21, 2013, 07:43 PM   #3
j3hill

I have seen them on GB but they dont go for very much and nobody is going to want to pay FFL fees on something like this. Or if they do they are stupid.
Old May 21, 2013, 07:53 PM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

You won't get anything by selling it to a parts house. Is it functional? If so, it is worth $50-75 or so. If not, it is about worthless.

There are parts in those guns that often break and are in demand. Trouble is that they are the ones that always break, so a part that is broken in other guns is likely to be the part that is broken in that gun.

Jim
Old May 22, 2013, 01:25 AM   #5
Winchester_73

See if its an antique before you go to sell it. Check out the SN here:

http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html

According to proofhouse, before 115000 its an antique because in 1899 they started with 115000.

An antique can be shipped to anyone in the US via the USPS, as long as you don't have knowledge of that person being prohibited. An antique, before 1899 production, does not need a pistol transfer. Of course some states and localities may differ, but I am quoting the federal law, which works most places. Check local laws just to be safe.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:59 PM   #6
j3hill

There is no serial number. It just says property of US NAVY. And even if it is an antique it still takes a modern cartridge, so no that wont work. However the law says "ammo that is readily commercially available" We all know that hardly any ammo is commercially or readily available so we should be able to ship 1911's and glocks door to door HA!
Dumbass government. Man I hate them.
Old May 23, 2013, 12:09 AM   #7
Winchester_73

Quote:
There is no serial number. It just says property of US NAVY. And even if it is an antique it still takes a modern cartridge, so no that wont work. However the law says "ammo that is readily commercially available" We all know that hardly any ammo is commercially or readily available so we should be able to ship 1911's and glocks door to door HA!
Dumbass government. Man I hate them.
Maybe you should re-read what constitutes an antique. It has nothing to do with the ammo. The serial number for your Colt should be on the butt. Are you sure there is not a 4 or 5 digit number there? A number at the "toe" portion of the butt?

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/collectors.html

Quote:
What qualifies as an antique firearm?

As defined in 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(16) the term “antique firearm” means —

A. any firearm (including any firearm with a matchlock, flintlock, percussion cap, or similar type of ignition system) manufactured in or before 1898; or

B. any replica of any firearm described in subparagraph (A) if such replica —
i.is not designed or redesigned for using rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition, or ii.uses rimfire or conventional centerfire fixed ammunition which is no longer manufactured in the United States and which is not readily available in the ordinary channels of commercial trade; or

C. any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term ‘antique firearm’ shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon, which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.
Its amazing how many gun collectors, dealers, afficianados mess this rule up. You of course are subject to local and state antique laws, but aside from that, pre 1899 is an antique. The rule about ammo type is only about replicas of antiques. For the record, despite me copying and pasting the above from the ATF, I believe an antique which is rechambered to a modern round *may* lose its antique classification. However, that "original chambering" qualification, if it exists, should be listed above.
Old May 23, 2013, 01:10 PM   #8
James K
Member In Memoriam

Would it be possible to post a photo of the butt markings and the area with the property mark?

The U.S. never adopted any revolver in .41 caliber, though it is possible a few were purchased for testing. However, I have seen one in .41 caliber that had fake Navy markings.

Jim
Old May 24, 2013, 07:00 AM   #9
Winchester_73

Quote:
The U.S. never adopted any revolver in .41 caliber, though it is possible a few were purchased for testing. However, I have seen one in .41 caliber that had fake Navy markings.
Good point Jim. I wasn't thinking that way, that the cal is wrong for both Army and Navy contract variations.
Old May 24, 2013, 10:46 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

But Colt did make civilian revolvers, in both .38 and .41, that they called the "Colt Army" and the "Colt Navy" revolvers. These were NOT contract guns, the terms were just Colt advertising hype. The only difference was the grips (the ones on the OP's revolver are the "Navy" grips) and the small letter N for the Navies under the crane. So the OP is correct in saying his gun is a Colt Navy; it is just not a "Navy Navy".

That is why I am surprised that it would be marked as Navy property, and wonder if the marking is bogus.

Jim
Old May 25, 2013, 11:40 AM   #11
Winchester_73

As I said Jim, "contract" guns, referring to "US military contract". However, I do know what you mean about the civilian names for these Colt DAs. I have one myself, I believe mine is a "Navy" and it is model 1896 from 1897. Original nickel.

Too much glare in the photos...