The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 15, 2012, 08:54 PM   #1
dj_28

hopkin&allen shotgun help

I have a H&A single shot shotgun that was brought to me for repairs. It has a missing mainspring,stock,and trigger guard. The trigger guard is no big deal Munrich has those. But the stock and mainspring are sold out. Agian not to worried about the stock, I can make that without any trouble. The mainspring is what I'm having trouble with. I can't find any helpful dementions on the spring (thickness, width, lenth, and so on). I would make one if I knew these dementions and would bend to the proper shape and heat treat it apropriatly. Just can't find this info.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to find the replacement part and not have to worry about making it and just have to finish the stock and forearm. So any help would be appreciated.

Thanks guys,
DJ
Old July 16, 2012, 09:51 AM   #2
PetahW

FWIW, With the assembled action in hand, why not just make a few measurements from a little beyond the mainspring's rear anchor point, to the hammer attachment point, and go from there to fashion a new mainspring 2/3'd the width of the tang at the rear anchor end, tapering to whatever width was needed to swing with the hammer ?

Old July 16, 2012, 10:56 AM   #3
dj_28

That was my thought also. But the thickness of the spring is what I need to know more so than then the lenth and width.

DJ
Old July 18, 2012, 11:28 AM   #4
PetahW

I don't think I've ever run across a leaf-type mainspring more than 1/8" thick at it's base, so I'd start at .125", tapering to .10".

If it turns out too strong (hard to cock), it's easily thinned, but if too weak (misfires) it'll have to be either shimmed or replaced with one stronger.