The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2011, 12:46 PM   #1
Beentown71

Beretta 391.

I am familiarizing myself with a Beretta AL391 Urika a friend gave me. I have always been a pump shotgun guy (870) and not real familiar with semi-autos shotguns.

Anyway I have a question on the action. In the instructions it say to load the gun through the ejection port for the first using the bolt release button (whatever it is called). Then load the magazine tube from below.

When I manually cycle the bolt the next round doesn't get pulled from the tube so the bolt can feed the next round unless I have the next round below the bolt. That is made possible by pushing the little button on the back of the feed mechanism/ramp. Then the next round won't be ready unless I push the button by the feeding port/mech/ramp again. Seems kinda pointless to have a semi that you gotta push buttons for it to feed.

I guess my question is where is a good source to watch the proper functioning of the 391?

Or does someone have a good description of how to properly feed this thing?

Time for the Mall Ninja list:
Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old November 25, 2011, 01:25 PM   #2
oregunner

Try cycling the action with aluminum snap caps. Load the first one in the ejection port, close the action with the button. Load the second one in the magazine. Don't push the small button. Pull the trigger and pull back firmly on the bolt lever. It takes a strong pull to simulate a live shell. It should eject the first round and load the second one. I'm thinking that you gun works just fine. It's a Beretta! Mark
Old November 25, 2011, 01:28 PM   #3
Beentown71

Thanks for the reply. I am just going to shoot it as I think it is because I am hand cycling it. Just wanted to be sure that the small button didn't need engaged.

Thanks

Beretta 92fs, Springer XD9, High Standard Model HB, RRA bull bbl...aw heck with it time to go plink
Old November 25, 2011, 05:21 PM   #4
oneounceload

The bolt hold open button is what is at the ack of the latch
Pressing it in will allow the bolt to remain open after the last round is fired

Drop a round in the open bolt, close the bolt, then load the mag- nthe next should feed as you fire the gun
Old November 25, 2011, 06:32 PM   #5
oregunner

The purpose of manually pushing the carrier stop push button would be to lock back the bolt without pulling the trigger. Other than that, there is no need to push the button. When a live round is fired, the bolt releases the button, to load the next shell or lock the bolt back on the last shell. I hardly ever push the button. You can also lock the bolt back by pulling the trigger on an empty chamber and pulling the lever back. Put a shell in the ejection port, push the button on the side to close the bolt, load another shell or shells in the magazine, and you are good to go. Mark
Old November 28, 2011, 03:43 PM   #6
Beentown71

Yeah after taking it out and putting a round through it...it makes sense now. It would only pull the next round while manually feeding it because it wont pull the next round without the trigger being pulled.

Thanks fellas.

Old November 28, 2011, 05:52 PM   #7
lambertsteeth

Congrats on the very nice gift!