The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 31, 2008, 11:32 AM   #1
ginshun

.224 Deer hunting bullets

So without getting into a moral debate on whether or not a .22 caliber rifle should be used for deer hunting or not I'd like to ask for opinions on the best bullets to load up with that as the intended purpose.

Lets say I have a 22-250 that I am working up some handloads intended for deer hunting. What bullet would you reccomend?

I had intended on using 60gr Nosler Partitions, but the 1 in 14 twist of my barrel will not reliably stabalize them. They are fine out to 100yards, but after that they fly all over. I was testing them the other day, and at 100 they are great, < 1" three shot groups. They just fly all over after that though. 200 yard groups were 6" and larger. 3 shot groups with the Sierra Blitz 50gr bullets were < 1" @ 200.

So what lighter bullets would be best for larger game, WI whitetail specifically? I am thinking the 53gr Barnes Triple Shock or the Sierra Gameking Spitzers in 55gr.

Any other good options out there?

Sweet! Quigley Down Under just came on TV!
Old May 31, 2008, 03:54 PM   #2
ELMOUSMC

Are You Kidding?
Old May 31, 2008, 05:45 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

Plently of people have taken whitetails with .22 centerfire rifles...However I suggest the .243 win and 6mm rem as a realistic minimum for deer. 100 grains at close to 3000FPS does a nice job if you do your part.
Old May 31, 2008, 07:56 PM   #4
tyrajam

I've never shot at a deer with a 22 centerfire, but as to the question, I would go to midway and read their reviews on the different bullets from the people who bought them. Good reviews for the 60gr nosler partition.
Old May 31, 2008, 11:25 PM   #5
DoctorXring

TBBC

Trophy Bonded Bear Claw in 55 grain will turn
your 22-250 into a very fine deer hunting rifle.
Expensive, but the very finest hunting bullet you
can buy for your 1:14 twist. Too bad about the
Partitions, but they are too long for a 1:14.

dxr
Old May 31, 2008, 11:30 PM   #6
taylorce1

Quote:
I am thinking the 53gr Barnes Triple Shock
If this bullet groups well for you it would be the one I'd use. If you are going to hunt deer with a .22 caliber rifle you NEED a premium bullet. I know some will disagree about that but I personally wouldn't risk using anything less, I'd prefer the heavier Partition but since you can't get them to work I think the Barnes is the next best choice. Just don't use any bullet with the work Blitz in the name as it will blow up.
Old June 1, 2008, 08:10 AM   #7
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

In this particular thread, it's not about using a .22 centerfire on a deer, seems to me. It's one particular rifle that is more suited to varmint-type bullets than deer-type bullets. Twist and bullet stability.

Without going into detail, there are several companies which have responded to the demand for .22 bullets which are more strongly constructed than the typical varmint bullet and which are intended for use on animals larger than coyotes. From reading, these seem to be around sixty grains in weight.

So, I wouldn't use that particular .22-250 as a regular deer-getter. One with a faster rate of twist might well do quite nicely in the hands of a skilled shooter.
Old June 1, 2008, 03:09 PM   #8
Sidetracked

Although it might not be ideal in this particular situation... This brings up a good side-effect of unstable bullets.

Bullets that tend to stay somewhat stable, and then become erratic, are a good thing sometimes. They tend to tumble the second they hit a target. So, if you have enough energy remaining... you get the 'axe effect' and good tissue damage.

If you can ensure a shot under 100 yards, the partition might actually be ok.
Old June 1, 2008, 10:55 PM   #9
flyboy14

55gr hornady soft point interlocks, have shot more deer with this bullet and caliber than any other, and I own many large caliber rifles. Many will tell you that it is too small, and won't do the job, but if you are going to do it that is the bullet that has worked for me, 22-250, 223, for what it is worth, they worked.

Last edited by flyboy14; June 1, 2008 at 10:56 PM. Reason: spelling
Old June 1, 2008, 11:26 PM   #10
Yithian

Just look at the Hornady line for the weight you want.
Don't use the "Super Explosive" bullets. But any other will do, including the V-Max.

Be aware of penetration-at-ranges for your loads to determine where you need to hit the deer with that load.
Old phone books, wetted, will help determine penetration.

If you are not a patient person, do not take the shot.
If you can stay calm, wait for the easy shot, and place that bullet perfect.
If you wait too long, so be it. Better to wait than force it.
Another deer will come along.
Sometimes, the smart deer will wait to come in the open, until other deer take the risk.
Old June 1, 2008, 11:52 PM   #11
freakshow10mm

Chances are your 22-250 has a 14" twist, which will stabilize up to a 55gr. I'd test the 53gr Barnes and the 55gr Sierra. Whichever penetrates better in phone books, etc is the winner. The Hornady bullet is also a good choice.

What area in WI? I was born in Oshkosh.
Old June 2, 2008, 07:55 AM   #12
ginshun

Quote:
Although it might not be ideal in this particular situation... This brings up a good side-effect of unstable bullets.

Bullets that tend to stay somewhat stable, and then become erratic, are a good thing sometimes. They tend to tumble the second they hit a target. So, if you have enough energy remaining... you get the 'axe effect' and good tissue damage.

If you can ensure a shot under 100 yards, the partition might actually be ok.
that is actually a good point. The only place I would take the 22-250 is up into my stand (permanent tower stand), and as such the shot is going to be at a standing deer that < 100 yards away anyway. Its not like I am going to carry that heavy barreled gun with the strait 10 power scope around through the woods anyway. That task will be relegated to the 30-06 BAR.

I am still going to see if I can get one of the tougher bullets to work out to longer distances though. I think I will try the Barnes.

Oh ya, Merrill, WI.