The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 17, 2014, 10:13 PM   #1
Gene Pool

Pocket pistols -- My testing of Sig, Beretta, Ruger, and Kel-Tec

List 1, Handguns owned that qualified for pocket carry:

S&W 36, 60, 37, 637, 42, 642, 48, 648, Taurus 85 UL, Colt Detective, Colt Cobra, Glock 26, 27, 33

List 2, Handguns purchased for testing:

Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger LC9, Beretta Nano, Sig P290

Gentlemen,

Recently I decided to start back carrying a pocket pistol full time. I used to carry a S&W model 42 and 48 in my right front pocket (in an Akers pocket holster), but when I retired and moved to the country 14 years ago and bought jeans that fit “tighter” than my old town Dockers, pocket carry wasn’t practical. So during this time I’ve been alternating carrying a G27 and G33 in a Kirkpatrick TSS belt holster. I carry daily, and have for 40 years.

I admit this up front, I prefer Glock’s “go-to-a-gunfight” qualities. And if push came to shove, and I can get to a Glock (or shotgun), I would do so. But carrying every day now has lent itself more to pocket carry. I’ve had to buy looser fitting jeans to accommodate this change.

Bearing in mind that I had my choice of the firearms in List 1 above, I decided to give some of the current, small semi-auto pistols a try. And my determination was to not go below 9mm Luger in caliber.

After doing some reading…no, a lot of reading, I bought the four pocket pistols shown in List 2 to test for dependability (feed and function) and accuracy.

Making a long story short, all four--the Kel-Tec, the Ruger, the Beretta Nano, and the Sig performed well. They were all 100-percent dependable--no malfunctions, and all plenty accurate for the purpose which they are intended. It was not easy to determine the one I preferred. But at the end of the process I went with the Sig P290. My second choice was the Beretta Nano; third choice was the Ruger LC9, and the Kel-Tec came in forth. This is in no way saying the second thru forth choices are not good pistols. They are very good pistols in my experience. It is just that my preference was in this order. If the Sig gets misplaced or someone offers a trade I can’t refuse, I will comfortably go with the Beretta or Ruger. The Kel-Tec got “talked away” from me by my close friend who assisted in the testing. He carries it daily in an ankle holster. I may live to regret letting him have it, but it’s a done deal now.

So there you have it. I wanted to share my experience since I see questions asked about pocket pistols in this Forum. Someone may benefit from my experience.

Gene Pool
Old September 17, 2014, 10:23 PM   #2
Koda94

You personally purchased 4 different handguns to test and determine which one is the best for you personally? Plus ammo and time....
Must be nice....

on topic, I'm curious why you didn't consider the Sig P938? It seems like its a high contender for your criteria.
Old September 17, 2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Gene Pool

Koda,
I am very familiar with 1911 pistols, which the 938 is based on. I like 1911's for shooting, especially the 45's. I have several in my collection. However, I prefer a personal protection handgun with no safeties, switches, or anything other than a trigger to pull. That is one of the reasons I said what I did about Glocks and go-to-a-gunfight gun.

I also teach a personal protection course and qualify the students on the range. I do not tell them which type of gun to buy. I tell them my personal preferences and why, and let them chose for themselves.

Thank you for your question and comment.

Gene
Old September 17, 2014, 10:41 PM   #4
LockedBreech

Thanks for putting the time in. The Beretta is a nice little gun, and I'm a Beretta guy. The consensus, though, seems to say that it suffers compared to the M&P Shield. The 290 didn't really sit in my hand when I tried one and I don't like Kel-Tec for the same reason I don't like Taurus (awesome designs, poor implementation. LC9 I haven't had a chance wth yet. Kahr PM9 I am testing in the next few months.
Old September 18, 2014, 12:26 AM   #5
WIN71

Oh boy

First off I have no idea how the poster needs so many choices of what to carry. Or why anyone should.
I was required to carry a weapon at all times when I was not working. That was sometime around 1966. I did not want to put a holster with weapon on every time I left my house. Pocket carry worked for me. The pocket was the right front or the right rear. I was not wearing tight Levis.The first weapon I carried was a Colt Cobra. That lasted until 1968. A German Walther PPK took over from there. As age creped in a 5 shot S&W fit better in my worn out butt right rear pocket.
I don't know about all this new stuff. Get something that is as skinny as a PPK or if you have loose pants, a 5 shot Smith
Old September 18, 2014, 08:57 AM   #6
Rogervzv

Thanks for the info, OP.

Personally I demand that my carry semi-autos have a manual safety. For this reason the S&W Shield (safety-equipped version) and Sig P238 made my list.
Old September 18, 2014, 09:14 AM   #7
Gene Pool

Quotes: "First off I have no idea how the poster needs so many choices of what to carry. Or why anyone should." "Must be nice...."

Sirs,
I was not trying to show-off regarding the extent of my collection. I was simply trying to demonstrate that I am not new to firearms--I know from direct experience about what I speak. I apologize if you are offended.

Gene
Old September 18, 2014, 10:00 AM   #8
WildBill45

My LCR was wonderful, but my Nano developed some striker issues and had to be sent back a couple of times. It wouldn't fire. I like the Nano otherwise, and it was one of the early models off the press...

"If Ands and Buts were Candy and Nuts, everyday would be like Christmas"
Old September 18, 2014, 10:13 AM   #9
Gene Pool

Quote: "Thanks for putting the time in."

Dear LockedBreech,

You are most welcome. After working (my tail off) for 42 years I am now retired and live where I can shoot anytime I want...right outside my door. I finally have the time to tinker with firearms as I always wanted to. Hopefully my tinkering can be of benefit to someone else.

I too like the Beretta, especially the absence of levers and buttons, and with a trigger system similar to Glocks. It's a fine little gun--great design.

Gene
Old September 18, 2014, 10:22 AM   #10
Gene Pool

Quote: "...the S&W Shield (safety-equipped version) and Sig P238 made my list."

Dear Roger,
I have some highly experienced (in firearms) friends who have both of those pistols. They prefer them too.

Gene
Old September 18, 2014, 10:29 AM   #11
Gene Pool

Gentlemen,

Perhaps I should have worked this into my OP.

A small handgun the size of the ones tested, in 9mm caliber, is not easy to shoot for people with weak hands, such as ladies and many older men. I had two senior ladies in my class who thought they wanted a small 9mm until they tried mine. They ended up going with handguns of smaller caliber.

Gene