The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 14, 2011, 08:20 AM   #1
BerdanSS

Buying a Uberti Cattleman....are they worth $300?

I was looking into buying another six-gun with part of my stolen pay check uncle sam decided to return. I have the chance to pick up a 4 3/4" Uberti Cattleman in .45 LC for $300, it's from a local seller not mail ordered. The pistol is lightly used with less than 100 rounds fired (cowboy action loads I think) Not a scratch or mark on it from looking at the pictures. It's the Hombre model with the matte blued finish and dull brass trigger guard/backstrap (nice looking pistol).

Good deal or not? I've never so much as handled one of Ubertis renditions, but I'm a huge fan of the colt single action type pistols. And the .45 colt is one of my favorite calibers. I have a TON of once fired 45LC brass and reloading components, so that is also a plus for me adding another .45 Colt to the family.

While neither of these are anywhere near the quality of my beloved USFA Rodeo, my brother bought a Heritage Arms Rough Rider. After being pleasantly surprised shooting his, I was planing on getting one. It's a very nicely fitted pistol for the money he gave ($365 NIB if I remember right) and accurate as all get out. But I can't stand the transfer bar safety:barf:, guess I'm a traditionalist. I just love the nostalgia of a solid firing pin six-gun (truthfully a five gun of course)

So then I saw this Uberti for a little less. Does any one out there have a Uberti Cattleman "Hombre"? How do you like it's fit/finish and overall quality? And in your opinion, would one in almost new condition with the original box and papers be worth $300? The Gander Mountain near me is selling new ones for $489

Since I've never had a Uberti cartridge firing pistol, I'd like to get some feedback from those of you that do. I just don't want to shell out the money, and then have a disappointing 1st visit to the range that leaves me with buyers remorse.
Old April 14, 2011, 10:18 AM   #2
Fingers McGee

Guns America has them listed for $349, NIB. A lightly used one for $300 sounds like a good deal. While I don't have an Hombre, I do have a pair of Cattlemen that have served me well over the years.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 14, 2011, 10:57 AM   #3
BerdanSS

Thanks Fingers. Ya I saw those, and I actually found a sporting goods store on gunbroker that got like 150 of them special pricing and are selling them NIB for $250. but after you add shipping from PA and the outrageous $25 transfer fee the only FFL that is near me charges, I'm back up to near $300. And then I'd have to wait to receive it while it's processed and shipped. I can get this one tonight and have it at the range this weekend, I'm kinda an impatient fella when it comes to getting my hands on a new iron

I'd wager to guess the "Hombre/Millennium" models are basically the same quality as the rest of the Ubertis now that I think of it. Just with a less fancy finish and cheaper brass trigger guard and backstraps. Kind of like the US firearms guns, the Rodeo is the same as the rest guts and quality wise, just with a no frills finish and grips.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
Fingers McGee

Be sure to let us know how the trip to the range goes
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old April 14, 2011, 11:05 AM   #5
BerdanSS

Will do! If anyone has anything else positive or helpful to say about the Uberti Cattleman Hombre or Uberti Cattleman in general, it would be appreciated!
Old April 14, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Hawg

I've got a Uberti 73 by Cimarron and had a Cattleman. They're great guns. The Hombre has a smokeless frame with the spring loaded retainer for the cylinder pin and I have heard it will let the cylinder pin move under recoil but both mine were black powder frames with the lock screw. The cylinder pin also has two positions and if installed into the second notch it will protrude into the hammer well and it won't fire. I solved that problem by grinding the end of the pin down so it cant protrude. The front sights are left tall so you can file them down for your particular load so they shoot low out of the box.
Old April 14, 2011, 02:23 PM   #7
Rachen

I've always wondered if these factory conversions are equipped with a Kirst cylinder, or are they built by the mfg. for that specific purpose?
Old April 14, 2011, 06:09 PM   #8
BerdanSS

I got under cut! DANG IT Dang It dang it all! And I had a nice place in the safe all ready for it to nestle into tonight. Guess I'm back in the hunt
Just called a local gun shop who has an unfired blued/case hardened Cimarron 4 3/4" 45LC for 399.00 they got it in trade from an ol guy that bought it new and never even took it out of the box. I'm seriously considering going to get it. But loosing the deal on that nice purdy blue and brass Uberti for $100 less is still disappointing me.
Old April 14, 2011, 06:16 PM   #9
hongrn

For $329, you can have this...

1873 Peacemaker Repro
Old April 14, 2011, 06:29 PM   #10
MJN77

...are they worth $300...

The five I have were. Great guns. They'll do what you need them to.
Old April 14, 2011, 06:35 PM   #11
Fingers McGee

In the words of English essayist Joseph Addison in his Poem 'Cato' (1713)

HE WHO HESITATES IS LOST - "Swift and resolute action leads to success; self-doubt is a prelude to disaster.

Sometime you just have to settle for second best or go without.
Old April 14, 2011, 09:24 PM   #12
BerdanSS

I hear that fingers, if only it weren't for having to work late. Ah well, just kinda irks me. When I make a deal, I follow through with it. I've lost some good coin over the years by holding to deals I've made, when someone else offered more to undercut by coming an hour earlier. But my Dad and Grandfather taught me better.

I figure if I cut a deal with ya, the least I can do is give you till the pre agreed time to produce the $$$. Seems a mans word isn't very important to some anymore I'll find another good one though, guess it gives me something to look forward to again. I do enjoy a good hunt

Thanks to all of you for the input, at least the next one I find I can buy with confidence.
Old April 14, 2011, 11:05 PM   #13
Hawg

Quote:
For $329, you can have this...

1873 Peacemaker Repro
That's a cap & ball. Spend the extra 100 for the Cimarron. You won't be disappointed.
Old April 15, 2011, 03:13 AM   #14
H.W. French

+1 Hawg

The two Cimarron Model P's and the one 1860 I have owned have all been top notch as far as reproductions go (even better than some "modern" manufacturers). Looking to get another in the near future. If that Cimmy checks out I say go for it!
Old April 15, 2011, 06:52 AM   #15
BerdanSS

I remeber gettig a chance to shoot a cimarron 4 3/4" in 45 Colt at a local gun shop/shooting range, back when I was 14 or so come to think of it. It was the first 45 LC I ever shot. And if I remember right it was pretty slick... accurate too. Think I'll drop by and have a look at her on the way home.