The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old October 24, 2011, 09:25 PM   #1
twahl

6mm Remington barrel shot out?

Hello all. I have a custom Mauser in 6mm Remington that I use for benchrest shooting and I'm thinking the leade on my barrel has been shot out. If I use a oal chamber gauge with Berger bullets the bullets would have to be set almost out of my case to just barely touch the lands. I'm kinda new to this so my question is this. I'm thinking of rebarreling with a 6.5-284 and keeping the same action and trigger. Would I have to change the bolt though too or will a 6mm bolt still work, and what else am I not considering? Forgive my ignorance and I appreciate any help you all can give me. Thanks
Old October 24, 2011, 09:59 PM   #2
quepasakimosabe

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

the bolt would not need to be changed but depending on your magazine setup the length of the cartridges is different (10mm approx). If you are going to a gunsmith he/she will tell you what you are capable of doing in relation to the rest of your rifle setup. Usualy there is a limiting factor somewhere.
To sum it up: Somewhere there is a TRUE BELIEVER training, he will not stop in his mission, he knows only the cause. What have you done today? For your brothers at arms, friends, family, your country, yourself?
Old October 24, 2011, 10:49 PM   #3
Jim Watson

The bolt face is ok.
Do you feed from the magazine shooting benchrest?
I don't, and the difference in round length and case diameter won't matter if you don't.

The 6.5x284 is a fine long range round but has a reputation as a barrel burner. The barrel life is said to be 1400 rounds maximum for bullseye target acccuracy. Group shooting, I would not expect it to be satisfactory for as long. Are you shooting at extreme long range?
Old October 25, 2011, 11:37 AM   #4
twahl

Thank you for your replys and advice. I don't feed from the mag when I'm shooting off the bench either so that shouldnt be an issue. I'm not doing bench bullseye shooting its mainly for rifle golf and the farthest target is 1000 yards at a moose sized vital so as long as it hits anywhere within that it scores so I'm hoping that even if the barrel burns out with the 6.5 it would still provide enough accuracy to hit that. Or should I be considering a different caliber?
Old October 26, 2011, 12:45 AM   #5
old roper

The 6.5x284 is a good match rd but I think the 284 is better. I had a 6.5x284 build LR Varmit/Antelope and target shooting rifle and it was a good one. I got a new 284 last year OAL 3.100" and I have to say it sure was easy to get a load for and with a 1/9 twist barrel I could shoot the Berger 180gr VLD bullets.

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek088.html Well good luck