The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2002, 08:18 PM   #1
Mr. SIG

S&B Brass for reloads.....

I have been loading 45ACP using once fired brass. Much of it is S&B. For some reason primers will not seat in the brass. Have to re-seat them manually several times at the primer station of my Dillon Square Deal B. Occasionally I will have a slightly high primer with other brass, but it is every time with the S&B brass. All my brass is tumbled and polished completely before I load. Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks for your response.

P226 TT
P226
P220
KIMBER COMPACT
WALTHER P99
WALTHER P22
SPRINGFIELD XD-9
PARA ORD P10-45
SMITH & WESSON 22A-1
HK USP 45
Old June 16, 2002, 09:52 PM   #2
Gewehr98

Noticed tight primer pockets in S&B .45ACP brass myself.

But over the last month or so, I've been lucky in getting about 300 pieces of S&B 8mm Mauser for free as I worked at a local range. Their rifle brass is good stuff, I've used their .303 British brass for a long time in my NoIMkIII* SMLE, neck-sizing only. You may have to get a primer pocket uniformer/reamer for the first reloading of S&B brass.

Neural Misfires
Old June 16, 2002, 09:54 PM   #3
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. I do know that in the past, the S&B primer pockets were extremely tight and I just avoided the stuff, particularly in 9mm. However, I picked up some new cases the other day and was able to reload them with no problems. Perhaps the tight pockets thingy is changing?

Best.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:00 PM   #4
sricciardelli

I just loaded a couple of hundred S&B 9mm brass...had no problem whatsoever.
Old June 16, 2002, 11:08 PM   #5

The problem of S&B brass having shallow primer pockets is a pretty well known thing. When I first got into milsurp rifles, I bought a lot of factory S&B ammo since they seem to offer good, clean ammo in a lot of those older calibers like .303 Brit, 8mm Mauser etc. I thought it would be fun to use a Lee Loader just for old time sake. I had used Lee Loaders before and never had a problem, but with this S&B brass, I was unable to seat a primer without setting it off. I got to reading stuff on the internet and found out that my problem was the shallow primer pockets in the S&B brass. Luckily, I already owned a Sinclair primer pocket uniformer, so I just reamed the primer pocket with that tool and it was smooth sailing. Unless you have a lot of time on your hands, or simply really enjoy handloading (which I do), I would just use some other brass. Of course you might have a real pile of it, making it worthwhile.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old June 17, 2002, 02:11 PM   #6
CDPshooter

I've reloaded a ton of .45 ACP and 9mm with no problems at all. Using both Lee progressive 1000 and a Dillon 650.
Old June 17, 2002, 06:05 PM   #7
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Agreed, as to Rifle Brass- - - -

I shot quite a bit of .303 Brit by S&B several years ago. I noticed same thing about shallow primer pockets. For a while there, I used the RCBS primer pocket swadge to make 'em work. Then I standardized on R-P brass and had no more problems.

Little or no experience with S&B in pistol brass.

Best,
Johnny
Old June 19, 2002, 10:10 AM   #8
Eric Blair

9mm and .45 ACP

No problems with either.
A few thousand rounds for each in the last month in a half.

Also - I had some problems with CCI primers in PMP 9mm brass. I switched to S&B and haven't had a problem.

my .02