The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old January 31, 2012, 08:06 PM   #1
Gary Slider

WV Honors KS – GA Update – Major NRA Screw Up

West Virginia’s AG has announced that they have signed an agreement with Kansas. KS already honored WV. You can read the agreement Here: http://www.wvago.gov/press.cfm?ID=601&fx=more
This brings to 23 the number of states WV honors.

On the Georgia page I have added links to a copy of the Georgia Application and Instructions for filling out the application. From what I am hearing from a RTBA’s group in Georgia an online copy of the GA Application was never online until very recently. I believe being able to see a copy of the application makes it easier to apply as then you know all the information and paperwork the issuing agency wants and helps make the process easier.
www.handgunlaw.us has been updated to shows these changes.

I am a member and Firearms Instructor for the NRA. I am not out to bad mouth the NRA but I have to point this out. In the past the NRA website gave out very good info about the carry laws in the states. They were just slow in updating their information. Well the NRA Has completely revamped their State Gun Laws and they have some very serious errors. I emailed them 3 times on 1/29/12 & Called twice on 1/30/12. They stated they are aware of the errors but I don’t think they took my phone conversations seriously. At least that is the way I felt after hanging up the phone. They are showing Mass, MD and NJ as honoring the AZ Permit/License. They show DC honoring a Missouri Permit/License to Carry. They show Wisconsin as being honored by Puerto Rico. This is not correct and could lead to someone getting arrested and Jailed for a long period. There are other major errors that can get someone arrested. They also have errors of omission on just about everyone of their state pages when it comes to who they honor and who honors them. I ask them to take the pages down and repair them as this might save someone from being arrested but they are still up and have not been fixed as of late this evening. (1/31/12 which has been over 48 hours to my knowledge they have know about the problems) You can view the new NRA State Pages Here: http://www.nraila.org/gun-laws/state-laws.aspx Do be AWARE that when I posted this the pages were still showing major errors! I really hope they have fixed them or will fix t hem shortly but I doubt it. Many of the pages have a date of last being updated in Early Nov & Dec. Do click on Arizona, Missouri and Wisconsin. It will shock you. If you feel like calling them and letting them know what you think the number is 1-800-392-8683.
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old January 31, 2012, 09:23 PM   #2
C0untZer0

^ Ya see, this is why people walk into a state packin heat thinking their CCW is A-OK in that state, when its not - it's cuz the NRA doesn't update their dag gum website !
Old February 1, 2012, 12:29 AM   #3
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Oh good grief! I'm not only asking who wrote this stuff, but who checked it for validity!?!

Hmmm... Compare the actual law,
Quote:
18-3302. Issuance of licenses to carry concealed weapons.
(12) The requirement to secure a license to carry a concealed weapon under this section shall not apply to the following persons:
(d) Any person outside the limits of or confines of any city while engaged in lawful hunting, fishing, trapping or other lawful outdoor activity;
with what the NRA website has to say.
Quote:
Except in the person’s place of abode or fixed place of business or on property In which the person has any ownership or leasehold Interest, a person shall not carry a concealed weapon without a license to carry a concealed weapon.
This is actually a quote from 18-3302(7). But they stop there and don't mention any exceptions in 18-3302(12) (Biased? See how they describe "carrying" under the Alaska, Arizona or Wyoming sections. Confused yet?). The exemption at 18-3302(12)(g) is the exception that recognizes all other State permits (which is not cited as the authority, when they do say this).

They list the following authorities:
Quote:
SOURCES: Idaho Code §§ 18-3301 et seq., 31-872, 36-401, 36-1508, 46-1008; 50-343.
Um, wrong.
Quote:
SOURCES: Idaho Code §§ 18-3301 et seq., 31-872, 36-401, 36-1508, 46-1008; 50-343.
The codes I have stricken were repealed and re-enacted under 18-3302J. This was to conform (almost) all firearms laws as being placed under one section of code (this is funny, because when you expand the PREMPTION section, they actually list 18-3302J).

Title 36 is some misc. F&G statutes that pertain to certain firearms age restrictions while engaged in hunting. Title 46 pertains to certain military actions and restrictions. Title 46, chapter 10, section 8 pertains to the Governor and Emergency Powers that do not include confiscation or any hampering of firearms and ammunition (a post Katrina law).

Granted, I'm picking nits here. But if they get these simple things wrong in a simple State like Idaho, what else did they get wrong in your State? Hmm?

I would suggest that if you are really familiar with your State firearms laws, you investigate the NRA-ILA site and call them with any discrepancies you might find.

Despite their disclaimer, they can be held liable for information that gets you arrested, if you relied upon their authority. They need to clean this up, if for that reason alone.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

I'm off to check Arkansas.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:50 AM   #5
Tom Servo
Staff

Their entry for Georgia still has the "public gathering" restriction listed, although that was removed two years ago.
Old February 1, 2012, 10:59 AM   #6
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Good God!

They say that my state does not require a permit to carry a handgun! We certainly do -- in fact, the way the law is written, we need a permit to carry outside of the residence (or place of business IF I am the owner) even if on my own property. I can't legally mow the lawn with a handgun on my belt unless I have a permit.

Yes, I'd say that site has some serious problems. I never noticed because I have always referred to Gary's Handgun Law site.
Old February 1, 2012, 11:52 AM   #7
Mike Irwin
Staff

The entry for DC has apparently been updated.

They're now shown as not honoring any states' permits.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old February 1, 2012, 07:54 PM   #8
Gary Slider

The NRA Has removed all their Maps from their state law pages and have removed the listings of what states honored them and who they honored. I figure they got a lot of phone calls today. Now lets wait and see if they repair them or just forget about them and never post that information?
Member Armed Citizens Legal Defense Network.
Old February 2, 2012, 02:10 PM   #9
hermannr

I noticed they has WA wrong quite awhile ago and sent an email, nothing happened...sounds like progress.

If anyone asks me I send them to handgunlaw.us for concealed and OCDO for open carry. Someone asked about the NRA errors, that is why I emailed the NRA in the first place. When they did not even respond I started to tell everyone, forget the NRA site, it's got errors.