The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 4, 2009, 04:51 PM   #1
Sarge

Missouri Bullets in the .45 Colt

"The first step was to build a factory-duplication load, and I used MO Bullet's 'Cowboy #1' which is a 255 RNFP. My goal was to break 800 fps and 7.2 grains of W231 averaged 825 fps. It turned out to be a shooter, too:"

http://sargesrollcall.blogspot.com/
Old May 4, 2009, 06:32 PM   #2
Ed_

Nice shooting! I bought a box of lswc from MO bullets and am very pleased also.

I really enjoyed your blogspot . Very good reading.

Ed
Old May 4, 2009, 09:46 PM   #3
Ruger4570

Sarge, nice group. I have a Stainless Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt/ 45ACP that would not shoot close to that size group regardless of powder charge or bullets used. I finally broke down and got a cylender reamer from Brownells and reamed all the cylenders the actual same diameter. Now my 45 shoots groups like yours with most everything I put through it. Oh. I enjoyed your Blog, good job Amigo.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:33 PM   #4
Sarge

Thanks, guys. Ruger .45 cylinder dimensions could serve as the model for "How wrong can we engineer it and still get it to work?" I had two .45 Blackhawks over the years, one about '95 which would plunk 6 Sierras, either 240 or 300 grain, into 4 inches at 100 yards. I sold that one to a friend who begged until I gave in.

The next one, bought new in '98, wouldn't stay on a good-sized hubcap at the same distance. I mic'ed my way around the cylinder and found three chambers bored .004 off their 60 degree centers and two which were nearly that far off-axis. It also had .450 throats and was utterly hopeless for ever getting any accuracy from it. My efforts to get Ruger to fix it are another story but suffice it to say that they got it back for keeps.

This particular gun mics about .451 in the the throats and while it has typical SAAMI-max chambers, it seems to shoot pretty well. At some point I'll ream it or have it reamed to .4525; it just might have the makings of a one-holer.

Thanks for your comments. I'm glad y'all enjoyed the blog.
Old May 5, 2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Ruger4570

Sarge, The Brownell reamer is .4525. They are not giving the reamers away, but it is well worth the cost if it makes an improvement in your gun. I mic'ed the cylenders of my 45 and I found that they were running right around .450+/-. No way they are gonna work well in a .452 barrel.