The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 11, 2008, 09:31 PM   #26
FISHNFRANK

Get the .357

Both are great guns. I prefer the .357 anymore for personal and wilderness defense.

I had a .44mag (629) and sold it due to the fact that ammo prices hit 30$ a box. I have no time or interest in re-loading.

I have 3 Smith .357's 5, 6 and 7 shot - there is just about nothing you can't do with them. Shoot .357 158 Gr, 125 Gr, 110 Gr, 38+P 125 Gr, 38 Special 130 or 158 Gr - the loads available are endless and while they are going up in price they are still a lot more reasonable than anything .44. Where I live you can't find .44Special ammo anywhere but a gun show.

Get the .357 unless you need a gun for Grizzly's

Frank
Old March 11, 2008, 10:13 PM   #27
44 AMP
Staff

What nobody else has pointed out, yet....

Many have mentioned the cost difference, and the versatility, so I'll mention something else. Size. .357 revolvers (DA since that is what you are considering) come in three basic sizes, and barrel length doesn't have all that much to do with it. Small, medium, and large.

Small, the "bellygun", usually only to be had with short barrels, and for good reason. Medium, good compromise guns to be carried a lot and shot a bit, but a constant diet of heavy loads means strain on the gun and shop time eventually. And Large - this is the only size .44 Mags come in. A .357 the same size as a decent .44 will handle any sane (and many insane) loads, if you are into shooting hot stuff, and is a really mellow target gun with .38s. And you have the plus of getting used to handling a .44 size platform, so if you decide to get a .44 later, you are already comfortable with the size of gun.

You mention wanting to put a scope on it, and so, really only a large gun makes good sense. I am a fan of the N-frame S&W, for a .357 (model 28), since I don't have to pack it around for a living. If I did, and knowing that I would carry the gun day in and day out and only have to use it rarely (if ever) I would certainly go with a lighter frame, like the model 66 in stainless or model 19 blued. These guns will last nearly forever with .38s and stand up to a lot of .357s, but not as many as the bigger guns. More than many, likely most shooters, will put through the gun, but not quite as much as the bigger guns.

To me, the only reason for choosing a medium size .357 is to save weight, just as the only reason to choose the smallest possible is for concealment. Putting a scope on either kind of defeats the purpose. Go with a large frame gun, S&W, Ruger, Dan Wesson, what ever your personal preference. I'm and old sitck in the mud, so I can't advise you on new models, I only own and shoot older ones (model 28-2 and 29-2), so if you want a new gun, or a foreign made one (Taurus?) I can't help you from personal experience. But I have been shooting .357 and .44 Mag for a few decades, DA (S&W) and SA (Ruger), so I do have a basis for my opinions.

Good luck with whatever you choose, but I would recommend getting a large frame .357 to start. If you can find one, a Ruger Redhawk set up for a scope will do eveything you could want, except be a pocket gun. May not have a perfect trigger as a stock gun, but that can be fixed. Big and heavy, capable of eating the heaviest loads and giving the mildest recoil. IF S&W has a comparable gun in their line today, it would be worth a look as well, but only if you don't mind their looks and their lock.
Old March 11, 2008, 10:30 PM   #28
3-fitty-7

have you considered .45lc/.454? as a reloader you will have an endless spectrum on that platform or even a .460. you can go from cowboy loads that feel like .38's to to loads so explosive they will loosen your teeth.. and possibly evenryone within the vacinity of the range, now that's fun! i just put money down on a .45lc anaconda and can't wait to get the beast home but i think reloading will be in my future because .45's look to be as much if not more than .44's right now. a .45 can be loaded to equal the .44 with far less recoil, so i've read. i'll let you know when i do it
Old March 12, 2008, 10:25 PM   #29
44 AMP
Staff

3-fitty-7,

Use caution when loading up the .45 Colt. Many modern guns will take loads beyond the standard blackpowder power level, BUT only a few guns will take loads that equal, let alone exceed the .44 Magnum.

Ruger Blackhawks and Redhawks will take heavy loads, and so will their original Vaquero, but the New Vaquero will not fare well with monster loads.

You might get less technical recoil from a heavy .45 than a .44, but I doubt you will be able to feel the difference. What you do get is slightly lower pressure at comparable velocity, because of the larger surface area of the bullet base for the gas to push on.

Also, brass for the .45 Colt is not made the same as brass for the .44 Mag, and while modern solid head brass will take heavy loads in the .45, the brass will have a shorter life than the equivalent in the .44 Mag. Also beware that ancient .45 Colt brass (and some modern brass intended solely for blackpowder shooting) is of the "balloon head" variety. The case heads are not solid, but hollow, allowing more room for (black) powder. These cases can be used with mild loads, that do not exceed blackpowder pressures. They CANNOT be used with heavy loads (more than once), as they will most likely blow (rupture), and this is NOT a good thing. It can damage your gun, and possibly give SERIOUS injury. Study up on the .45 Colt (and your gun) BEFORE loading it "up". I have no personal experience with the Anaconda, but remember, in the same size gun, the .45 will be slightly weaker than the .44 because the bigger holes mean less metal. It may not make any difference in the needed strength to handle heavy .45 loads, or it might. It is not something to trust to luck.

I loaded and shot .44mag power loads in my .45 Ruger Blackhawk for a few years, before deciding that I would rather enjoy shooting the revolver, and let me tell you that hot loads are not "fun" to shoot more than a few shots. I have for the past couple of decades stuck with one load for my .45 Colt Blackhawk, and that is a 250gr LSWC and 10gr Unique. This load is max for the Colt SAA in the old reloading books, far below what the Ruger can handle, and clocks 1100fps from my 7.5" barrel. It is powerful, and accurate (in my gun), and does everything I need or want from a .45 Colt. If I need more, I'll use a .44 Mag, not because a strong .45 Colt gun can't do it, but because the .44 was made for it. The same applies to the .454 Casull.

Good Luck, and be careful.
Old March 13, 2008, 05:42 PM   #30
Webleymkv

Honestly, the fact that you handload negates any advantage that one has over the other if you are strictly going to use it for target shooting. If, however, you may use the revolver for other purposes then the differences become more pronounced. A .357 would be a superior carry gun as it can be had in substantially smaller and lighter packages than the .44. For hunting, the .44 is the better round because of the wide power spectrum available. Personally, I can fairly nice examples of each for right around $600 on the used market so I'd buy both
Old March 13, 2008, 06:28 PM   #31
BigJimP

For a 1st revolver I'd go with a S&W .357 in a 6" barrel - and $ 600 to $ 750 ought to get it done for you. Some of the older models are some of the best - model 27, 28, 66 - before the "frame safety" appeared on the S&W's.

The .357mag is just more versatile - and like others said, you can shoot .38 spl in it - but since you reload you're going to use the same bullet and just a hair less powder in the .38 than the .357 load / so honestly I shoot more .357 than I do .38's ( but I keep 10 boxes of .38's around for the kids to shoot ). I bought a nice clean model 66-1 .357 mag last week 4" stainless for $ 400 so there are some deals out there / just have the cash ready when you find one.

I like the .44 mag a lot too - especially the model 29 in an 8 3/8" barrel its a great gun / keep your eyes open for one.
Old March 17, 2008, 04:54 PM   #32
trigger happy

get them both
Old March 17, 2008, 06:57 PM   #33
DIXIEDOG

Get the .44 because a larger diameter bullet will cut the line better With a .44 over a .357 your 9 could turn into a 10
Old March 17, 2008, 09:27 PM   #34
Legionnaire

First, I'd get the .357. Shoot it ... a lot. Then buy a .44!

Personally, I'd recommend a Ruger GP100 as a great "first" centerfire platform.
Old March 17, 2008, 09:34 PM   #35
G22

there both really good rounds, I shot a taurus .357 that was ported and it was like butter, no recoil at all. My pop had a sweet ruger redhawk .44 when I was growin up and always said that would be awesome to have but he sold it Sorry, dont know anything bout reloads, I'm not that deep into the hobby yet, but I do give my brass to my buds that do reload.
Old March 18, 2008, 08:22 AM   #36
rem870hunter

.357 magnum with a 6" barrel minimum. you can still put a scope on it. my father and i have astra brand (made in spain). .357 mag. 1 has a 6" barrel and the other is 8 3/8"or 8 3/4 barrel. they were both 6" barrels but had a problem with one of them. both have scopes and are good to 50 yards. only hunted with them a few times in virginia. you can't handgun hunt here in nj.
Old March 18, 2008, 11:11 AM   #37
go_bang

Quote:
I'm looking into getting my first revolver. I want something with a 6" barrel, and it will only be used for target shooting. Would you recommend .357 magnum or .44 magnum and why? I reload, so if either is easier or more economical to reload, that would be a consideration as well.
Quote:
I forgot to mention, I plan on putting a scope on whichever gun I choose.
Quote:
Thanks for all the great replies everyone. Let me clarify a few things.

1. I'm looking for my first centerfire revolver. I already own a .17 HMR revolver.

2. I want a double action gun.

3. I'd prefer not to go over $600.
Wow, the replies are all over the map. Does anyone ever read what the OP's write?

Dave, within your budget you will find many more options in .357 than .44. I am assuming here that you want to wrap up the gun, scope, scope mount, and reloading dies within that $600 budget. In .357 you'll have as options new and used Taurus or Rossi (same difference), new and used Ruger, and used S&W. For .44 Mag in double action you are probably limited to new and used Taurus, used Ruger, and used S&W. These are the more commonly available options. Used Dan Wesson is probably not a bad option either if you don't mind the odd manner you have to use to open the cylinder.

For economy, even with reloading .357 will be more economical. Supplies will be cheaper because everything is smaller than .44 and because of economy of scale. It is also easier to find once fired brass in .357 than .44 as well.

Between the two I would go with the .357 because of greater versitility beyond target shooting, slightly better economy, more choices of revolvers with better availability, and a larger reloading community.
Old March 18, 2008, 11:23 AM   #38
azredhawk44

Dave:

I was at a gunshow here in AZ and came across a minty-looking Dan Wesson 44 magnum with a 6 inch tube for $300.

Two reasons I didn't buy it:
1. The $500 in my pocket was burning a hole there, but it was really hot for a Marlin Camp .45 carbine more than another revolver.
2. My two .44 wheelguns (and my .357 SP-101) are Rugers, and I think I want to keep my wheelguns all Ruger just to simplify life a bit. There may be a Freedom Arms or Magnum Research BFR in .475 in the future "someday", but until then all my 6-guns will stay Ruger.

I did look at it though and was sorely tempted. Lockup was tight, barrel crown was clean and free from abuse, bluing in-tact.

DW's are a crazy value in the used market. They sell new for $1000 in the "pistol packs", and plummet like a rock in resale value after that. I couldn't tell you why... they are nice guns.
Old March 18, 2008, 03:08 PM   #39
imdarren

I reload, so leaving cost out, I still would not call the 44 pleasant to shoot.
I have loaded them down to special speeds, and up to 1,400 fps with 300 gr Hornady HP/XTp's, and am not afraid of recoil. I love those hand stinging loads. Having said that, I would still buy a 357 for enjoyment. You can shoot 38 spcl loads for even more fun.
Just my .02.
D
Old March 18, 2008, 03:25 PM   #40
scsov509

Dave, knowing that you reload now and that you want this primarily for target shooting, definitely go with a 357. My 44 is plenty fun to shoot, and definitely more fun as a handloader. But nothing I own gets shot on the range as much as my 4" 686. Go 357, you won't be sorry.
Old March 18, 2008, 03:47 PM   #41
Hello123

.44 because you can always load it down. Big bullets are cool.
Old March 18, 2008, 03:54 PM   #42
flusher

A S&W Model 28 Highway patrolman always works

Old March 18, 2008, 04:50 PM   #43
darrentxs

.357 Magnum Opinions:
S&W 27-2 6" (I'd skip the scope)

If you could spend more or settle for more finish wear I'd suggest:
Colt Python 6" (I'd still skip the scope)

If you absolutey have to have a scope I'd choose a Ruger Super Redhawk or S&W 629 in .44 Mag.

decisions, decisions..let us know what you get!

Last edited by darrentxs; March 18, 2008 at 05:54 PM. Reason: spelleeeng
Old March 18, 2008, 09:31 PM   #44
rcupka

I just got an early 80"s model 629 Stainless with a 6 inch barrel. Paid $300 and am having a great time with the .44 Specials I have been load, it really is a [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color] cat, not much recoil and very accurate. Some of the guys at the club use the .44 special for bowling pin matches. I must admit the .44 Mags are a hand full, But I like the option to go with either. Same is true for my .38/357M, The Ruger SP101 makes a great carry gun and I enjoy the .38's at the range.
Old March 19, 2008, 02:11 AM   #45
Bones507

Take the guesswork out of it and get them both !! You probably will in time anyway !
Old March 19, 2008, 01:42 PM   #46
Warlokke

Dave,

My .02...

I have a SW 686-3 in 6" (.357) and love it for hunting, target shooting, or woods carry. It has a sweet DA trigger like most SW revolvers do, and you can probably find several used for less than $600.

Good luck

Soldier & Infantryman since 1983 (ODS, OIF I/II & IV/V)
Old March 19, 2008, 01:55 PM   #47
Vlad the Impaler

The 357 is a good round and as many have mentioned it is very popular, lots of good information available for you now
Old March 21, 2008, 03:03 AM   #48
Doggieman

three fitty seb'n fo sho...

unless you're going to be in bear-infested areas.

357 is far more versatile. Great all around cartridge for your first owned gun.

Honestly the first gun everyone should own is a 38/357. And if you only own one gun it should be that caliber. Classic, classic caliber.

IMHO the most classic of all handguns, the most balanced for men and women and people of all ages -- if you were going to own only one handgun for your whole life -- would be the Colt Police .38 spl with four inch barrel. The quintessential handgun of handguns.
Old March 21, 2008, 03:13 AM   #49
scsov509

Quote:
Honestly the first gun everyone should own is a 38/357.
The first gun everyone should own is a 22 so they can learn the fundamentals and shoot frequently. But I agree that a 357 is something you really should have.
Old March 21, 2008, 03:14 AM   #50
Doggieman

no, the first gun anyone should SHOOT is a 22. But that should be your father's, and he should be showing you how to use it properly.