The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 31, 2009, 03:32 PM   #1
bswiv

Seen this before.....?

While we were out being frustrated by the turkeys this morning we stumbled across something I've never seen before.
Someone had taken a jar of peanut butter, removed the lid and then screwed the lid to a tree much as you would a jar lid under a shelf so you could store screws in the jar by screwing it into the lid. Difference here was that the jar was mounted at right angles......................and the bottom of the jar had been cut out to expose the peanut butter.

Best I can tell it was some sort of creative bait, all be it illegal on public land. As was the screw he had driven into the tree.

Looked like the peanut butter had been there for a while, even though it did not smell spoiled. Hard to tell if what was missing had been licked out of the jar or scooped out. Maybe he scooped some out when he mounted it and rubbed it on the tree, even though we did not see any.

I know he was baiting because there was a climber about 30 or 40 yards away but as it's way past deer/hog season, and I can not see it as having been turkey bait, I'd figure it was at least a few months old.

And this too.....the ground at the base of the tree did not look disturbed so it's hard to say if it was working for him.

Either way points out how ingenious those who want to cheat can be.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old March 31, 2009, 03:36 PM   #2
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Is it squirrel season in your zone?
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 03:41 PM   #3
rem870hunter

its illegal to bait there? i'll call it baiting if its put out and someone hunts within shooting range of it. if its put out an someone is'nt hunting within shooting range or hunting near it then, its just feeding. its illegal to bait here for everything except trapping and deer. otherwise i just call it feeding,cause i'll throw it out and not return for a week or 2.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:46 PM   #4
bswiv

It is on a WMA and it is illegal if it's bait.

The squirrel idea never crossed my mind. Can't see the reason to go through the trouble to do that though....?

Could he be baiting for turkeys and I just don't realize it? Can't see how that would work though......

I do see how the smell would attractive to deer and hogs though.

I wonder if he figures that so long as they can't reach it he's in the clear on the baiting thing???? That would be novel.
Old March 31, 2009, 03:50 PM   #5
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Don't matter if they can reach it... it can melt out and the law says you can't shoot within "X" number of feet of the bait.
Brent
Old March 31, 2009, 05:24 PM   #6
od green

If it was way past deer/hog season and there is a climber close I'd call it POACHING. Also did you look for a trail cam ? I came upon a similar set up a few years ago while shed hunting on a WMA called the game warden and when examined the camera the dumb poacher took a pic of himself which also had the time and date, and this was several weeks after hunting season. They busted the guy and I got a reward for turning it in.
Old March 31, 2009, 06:06 PM   #7
bswiv

Shows you how smart I am, never even thought about looking about for a camera...... We were a long way from the road and not to far from the property line so it's possible that it was put there by someone slippin' over the line and not by someone in the WMA.

Now that you mention it I should have called the warden. I just assumed that it and the stand were leftovers from the season.

Live and learn...
Old March 31, 2009, 10:25 PM   #8
cornbush

set up your own camera and see if anything happens
Old April 6, 2009, 08:01 PM   #9
shortwave

Deer love peanut butter. Old deer bait trick is to buy the big plastic tub/bucket of peanut butter, drill holes in bottom of bucket,cut round piece of wood so that wood will fit down inside bucket. Hang bucket in tree with round wood disc inside bucket and put rock on top of wood. As it gets warm through the day, weight of rock setting on wood slowly oozes peanut butter out bottom holes. More than likely your jar was at a right angle to keep all the peanut butter from falling out all at once when it got warm. With stand at location, I`d say you diffinitely have/had somebody baiting deer.