The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 3, 2019, 08:29 AM   #1
kjsound

S&W Model 4506 Manufacture Date & Trigger Issue??

Hello,

I have a S&W Model 4506, Serial TCF7XXX I am trying to get a date on for service purposes. The trigger on the 4506 has a horrible SA click in it, which I can tell is related to the trigger spring getting caught in the channel it sits in. The S&W serial search on their website was useless with this number. I am debating if it is worth sending in for service or just considering trading it for some kind of 1911 instead. If you have the magic book for the serial number, or any other infinite wisdom, it would be appreciated....thanks.
Old August 3, 2019, 11:30 AM   #2
Sevens

S&W confused everyone with the three-alpha serial number era and especially often with 2nd and 3rd Gen pistols, it can be difficult to pin down a shipping date. If you have the original box with intact end label, that often has the answer. With that said, I will guess your pistol to be 1989 or so without any other details offered.

As for the trigger problem that you describe, the most common issue is the copper-colored trigger play spring that can be seen in the front half of the trigger bar when looking down in to a field stripped frame and less likely to be the trigger return spring that you noticed.

This spring tensions the trigger bar when the pistol is cocked, it is an annoying problem that typically only shows up in the large frame .45 pistols. The spring is low cost and replaceable but it's annoying as it is held in place by a rivet.
Old August 3, 2019, 12:01 PM   #3
T. O'Heir

This will be your best bet. It's from their site.
"To discuss Smith & Wesson Performance Center Services call 1-800-331-0852. Please have your serial number available when calling for information."
There's this too. Considering the 4506 hasn't been made since 1999.
http://www.swhistoricalfoundation.com/info.html
Have a read of this too. https://www.smithandwessonforums.com...el-4506-a.html
Old August 3, 2019, 12:05 PM   #4
laytonj1

Quote:
Serial TCF7XXX
Book shows TCB in 1988 and TED in 1989. So, between them.

Jim
Old August 3, 2019, 03:49 PM   #5
kjsound

Thanks for all the input and the possible date range. It looks like the best bet is a phone call to S&W to see what they can do with it. If it is going to cost an arm and a leg, a trade up might be more in order....LOL.
Old August 4, 2019, 06:14 PM   #6
agtman

Quote:
Thanks for all the input and the possible date range. It looks like the best bet is a phone call to S&W to see what they can do with it. If it is going to cost an arm and a leg, a trade up might be more in order.
Ah, in case you missed the memo ... S&W no longer services 3rd Gen pistols.

Although your problem sounds relatively simple to fix, Smith's current 'techs' (a/k/a 'gun smiths') wouldn't know what to do your pistol unless it's got an 'M&P' stamped on the slide.

Not to mention, all remaining 3rd Gen parts - and specifically those for the 45XX-& 10XX-series pistols - were sold off to Numrich Corp a couple/three years ago.

If you've got a local 'smith who knows how to tear down a 3rd Gen S&W without screwing it up, contact Numrich and see if they have the part you need.
Old August 4, 2019, 09:42 PM   #7
kjsound

Actually out of curiosity, I just field stripped the 4506 again to look at the trigger play spring. With the hammer decocked, I took some needle nose and lightly pushed the two little TPS ears towards the trigger top a little bit.....actually took VERY little tweaking. Cocked and tested the trigger again.....NO MORE CLICKING. Wow.....what a simple fix. Still not the worlds greatest trigger, but at least the clicking is gone and much smoother. Have no idea how long it will last, but works great for now.
Old August 4, 2019, 11:57 PM   #8
Sevens

That is the shortcut "fix" but typically doesn't last. Replacing the riveted spring tends to last. I think S&W installed a slew of chump springs that weren't good, and it almost always shows up specifically on the 4506 and 4566 pistols.
Old August 5, 2019, 01:10 AM   #9
kjsound

I was concerned about that.....just checked and Numrich is out of stock. I read on another forum about just removing the spring. Apparently, the CHP removed them and special ordered some pistols without the spring. What would be the expected results of completely removing the spring??
Old August 5, 2019, 12:26 PM   #10
Sevens

Well, I haven't done that.

I suspect that... if you continue to bend the tabs back for the shortcut fix, eventually you will find out, as they will snap off. As you said, the CHP did have their armorers removed them completely before they went in to service. I'm not sure how those felt.

Obviously, the gun will still function, it likely won't feel right.
Old August 5, 2019, 01:33 PM   #11
kjsound

Am still giving serious thought to trading the 4506 in for some kind of newer 1911.....at least parts would be a lot more readily available.
Old August 8, 2019, 01:10 PM   #12
cw308

I have the 4566 had the same click sound , sent time to S&W , with the slide off looking down in the frame there is a little brass piece riveted into the frame , a piece broke off .That was at least 10 years ago , it's still working fine . Square trigger guard , first generation , built like a tank .
They sent it back with two new magazines , and changed the magazine release to the longer buttom , make it easier to change mags .

Tags
4506 , date , s&w , trigger problem