The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 7, 2015, 10:42 PM   #26
mjes92

Been there done that. Wasn't worth the time spend.
Inconsistent cycling.
Good luck
NRA - Life Member
Old November 7, 2015, 11:36 PM   #27
skizzums

poor cycle is very easily over come by taking a minute to lookk at the published data, and comparing powder choices to the listed pressures. i am not kidding when i say i have made THOUSANDS of 80-90gr jacketed 9mm loads that worked 100% in all my guns and my shooting friends, Glocks, Taurus, Sccy, CZ, Berretta 92/Nano and PX4, SD9VE and most recently even the my stepfather's Ruger SR9c(if it cycles that, itll cycle pretty much anything, that's a tight freaking spring).

not trying to talk down to you or anything or say you did it wrong, but i have gotten so much enjoyment from these light loadings that i would hope for people, that may have had an issue in the past, to consider revisiting it. not for everyone, since t's really just a "play-round" and doesn't serve any benefit for a duty/huning/sd only firearm, but the accuracy IN MY EXTENSIVE EXPERIENCE has been very ejoyable with accuracy unmatched, by any of my other handloadings, in several different pistols with varying barrel lengths.

Quote:
I posted a few days ago and my post seems to have disappeared. The bottom line was that I loaded up 10 rounds of the 95g Speer TMJ using current Hodgdon data. 7.3 grains of HS-6, COAL of 1.025.
that's going to be a winning load right there. i have used same bullet an relatively same data with a small difference after a coule work-ups. i see so many people posting a negative experence, and all i can think is it must be a powder choice thing and maybe a select few pistol that have odd twists. the glock that i used for the load had traditional rifling, so i am not sure if maybe somehthing that has polygonal or similar could be a culprit?? i just don't know,. but i can't recall using ANYTHING but hs-6 in the sub 100gr bullets so thinking that may be the defining factor between good and bad experiences. Like i said, my "accuracy" load in very similar, but with same bullet i ended up running at 8.0gr with lenth of 1.077. Proper work up of course, but with the MagTech Mono's, Hornady XTP's (90gr), Speer Gold-Dot(90gr), Corbon DPX "Barrier Blind" (80gr solid) and my most current purchase of a couple thousand of the SIerra SportMaster JHP (90gr), i can honstly say the hotter the better, for whatever reason, i am sure the science behind it can be debated, but i did good work-ups using not only diferent pistols, but benched and scoped 9mm rifle. The only one that did better not being totally maxed out was the CorBon 80gr DPX(these projectils are pretty expensive and did not yeild the best accuracy, but if one desired a light-for-caliber "defense" load for reason of their certain circumstances, the design of these look lke they really could be a vaible option in 9mm and will obviuosly hold up to the ridiculous speeds that can be achieved at 80gr, especially through a 16" rifle, the are currently being sold at 50% off for blems @ www.shopcorbon.com). the XTP's have produced the most accurate groups so farwith a five shot of 0.79 at 25 yards with 4 scoped 16" barrel, average velocity of an AMAZING 1561FPS with ES 44. the ES seems high, but pretty average to be over 50 in pistol calibers and commonly in the low 100's. regardless they are accurate so it means little to me. Anyhow, your MagTechs are really nice projectiles with similar accuracy @ under 1" at 25 yards(thats good for me anyhow, even with a scoped rifle, likely because my only 9mm scoped rifle is a hi-point. i have yet to get out and run some of these in the 9mm AR with a 5" barrel, even with the shorter barrel the AR is more accurate with the ammo's i have tried so far, so much tighter than the hi-point without all that heavy stock and bushings and crap all over the barrel.)

sorry for the lengthy post, as you can see i get a little enthusiastic about something diffferen for 9mm, especially when it works well and makes grouping easier. most of us shoot and load soooo much 9mm, and it's such a boring caliber to handload for with it's small window of bullet shapes/weights that rloading for it becomes a chore, so something a little exciting for the round i am required to load the most of is alwys a lively topic for me. .38 calibers give us so many workable option for different uses that it's alot of fun, 9mm is not a sexy cartridge and the loading process is so mundane.

have fun, don't be araid to work that load up, and yes it's hard to find any kind of spot-on data for your bullet, but your going to run out of case capacity before passing your max so don't be too worried. the only other available mono data is for the 80gr Barnes which is useless because it's so long that the data is limited by lack of case capaity. You were right to start with the 95gr Sierra data at minimum, as we know that coppers can run pressures higher, but this is usually mostly attributed to the longer shanks and increased bore fricion, but side by side the MagTech mono does not have a signifcantly longer sufrace that's "riding-the-bore" than the Sierra FMJ does, Magtech did a good job of rounding the nose just a hair matching most friction of any standard 9mm, and so long as your gun is +P rated, we have a good bit of leeway going with the min of 7.3 to max of 7.8. Don't get ddiscouraged if the accuracy isn't what you were hoping for ot the gate, mono's arent going to get squeezed into various spec's of handgun barrels like lead cores do, but if it happens do be just the right fit-to-bore, then your accuracy will lkely accell. please report back and share your experience.

man, did i ever just speak a whole bunch of irrelevent stuff. i looked NINEX19's data right after re-reading his OP, the contemplation of going choice with the MagTech bullet stuck in my head. whatever, too much typing jst to delete it all, so it's there. i bet your TMJ's will be a more accurate choice in the end anyways.

Last edited by skizzums; November 8, 2015 at 01:01 AM.