The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 10, 2013, 11:18 AM   #1
cgeyser

whats out there comparable to S&W model 28

I posted in general handguns under the opinions of next larger caliber to go up with (I'm a female new to shooting own a glock 26). I tried out the S&W Model 29 6in barrel shooting .44spl. I fell in love and want this gun (I'm 5'5" and even though the grip was large and i extended my trigger finger more for DA it wasn't unbearable and i started to adjust and feel comfortable with it fast).
What are some other brand choices in the .44 mag i can go for? The sticker shock was high for me new-$900ish and it was stainless steel. Used was in the $700-800 range. I would prefer $700 and under new or used. But i want the gun to have the same feel when a .44 spl goes thru it was a nice gentle push. Any suggestions would be great, thanks in advance!
Old November 10, 2013, 12:18 PM   #2
Shadi Khalil

Would you consider a single action? If so, there is always the Ruger Blackhawk.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:29 PM   #3
Wyosmith

The Smith & Wesson "N" Frames guns are the M-28 (the old Highway Patrolman in 357, now discontinued)
The M-27 (which is almost the same gun but in a nicer finish)
the M-24 which is a 44 Special, (discontinued too I think)
the M-25 and 25-5 in both 45 ACP and 45 Colt,
the M-57 in 41 magnum with fine finish and adjustable sights,
the M58 which is a 41 magnum with fixed rear sight (actually a groove in the top strap. also discontinued)
and the M-29 which is a 44 Magnum.

All the above guns have the same size frame.
In "something comparable" you have the Ruger GP100 in 357 and the Ruger Red hawk in 44 magnum.

Taurus offers a few large frame revolvers too, but you hear mixed reviews on their quality.

I would recommend that you load your own ammo no matter what choice you make. When you load your own a whole new world is open to you in verticality and cost savings.
Any of the calibers offered here is fine with the 357 being the least expensive to make ammo for (you can load 38 specials and shoot them in the 357) and the 45 ACP being fairly cheep too.

The 44 Magnum is the most vertical of the lot when it comes to covering the most bases in one caliber, but that is only true if you load your own. However the bigger the bullet the more lead it takes to make a bullet. The 44s and 45s cost the most for the bullets, and if you load on the powerful end of the scale, the charges of powder in the 18 to 24 grain range will eat up money faster than charges in the 4-5 grain range like you can use in the 38 special and the 45 ACP.

Bigger shells like the 41, 44s and 45 Colt can use low powder weights and save you money in that way, but they still use heavier bullets than the 38/357 guns.

So the real issue is to define your “mission statement” for the handgun you buy. If you will never use it for anything larger than a deer the 357 magnum is likely to be your best choice. The 44 magnum can be down loaded a great deal, and make it cover the same bases as the 38 or 357, and do it as well or better, but it begs the question;
Is that truly a concern? Only you can answer that question for yourself. Such guns are usually lifetime investments.

If you load your own ammo I am sure you will be happy with any caliber you choose. Bigger is usually “better” in the ability to cover more ground from mild to powerful loads, but the very high end of handgun performance is largely unneeded for most shooters.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:48 PM   #4
gav1230

The GP100 is not N frame sized, it's much closer to the L frame.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:56 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

you just need to look around. Visit some shops and some gun shows. Deals are still out there (they just don't show up online often).

I just recently sold an excellent condition M28 6" barrel for $600 at a show (which was less than others were asking for comparable guns).

Often one finds these big handguns used, with some finish wear but having been shot very little, substantially cheaper than new.

Read the Revolver check out sticky thread at the top of this forum, for a good place to learn what to look for when buying used.

.357s are more blast and recoil than .44 Specials. .38 Specials are a bit less than .44 Specials.

Opinions vary, but I feel the N frame S&Ws (especially the older ones) and the best DA revolvers going, in factory stock trim.
Old November 10, 2013, 12:56 PM   #6
Chaz88

A very good used model 28 can still be had in your price range. Looked at a 28-2 at a show not long ago that was very gently used and the asking price was $700. If I had not found something I had been looking to get for a long time I would have negotiated the price a bit and bought it. If you go the 28 rout I think they shoot much better with a good aftermarket rubber grip, like pachmayr. I would say the same thing for the mod. 29

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 10, 2013, 01:14 PM   #7
salvadore

The Taurus Tracker in .44 Mag goes for around $525.00 in my neck of the woods. Pretty heavy recoil due to its weight but .44 spec. loads aren't that bad. I shot a buffalo bore 305 grain bullet rated at over 1300fps, it wasn't much fun.

If you can still find Smith's M-21 classic or their M-24 classic both .44 specials. The blued gun is the model 21 and the aluminum framed one is a 21 oz. 396 Mountain Lite, I don't think you would like the fierce recoil.

Last edited by salvadore; November 10, 2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old November 11, 2013, 05:52 PM   #8
BigJimP

Model 28's ...or model 29's....

Model 28's ( are all .357 Mag -- not .44 mag ).
Model 29's ( are all .44 mag )...are either blued or Nickel...

Model 629's are stainless...
--------------
All of the above are S&W N frames...so they will all feel about the same/but changing grips can make a big difference.
-----------
In .357 mag ....N frames are model 28's or 27's ( 27's have a nicer finish) where the model 28's have a satin blued finish ( the model 28 is the utility version of the model 27). They are both great guns in .357 mag....
---------
629's and model 29's are great guns in .44 mag....just depends on what you like ...you have lots of barrel length options / but when you drop below a 6" barrel in a .44 Mag ..with a full strength .44 Mag cartridge - they can be a beast..../ .44 spl makes them way easier to shoot ....
Old November 11, 2013, 06:19 PM   #9
Chaz88

I do not think you can go wrong with a 27,28, or 29

The 27's generally have a $150 or so premium over a 28 and as mentioned are basically the same gun.

The older 29's in nickel or with the 8&3/8" barrel can also carry a hefty premium. Often a much larger one than I think is warranted. I have come across some that are more than a brand new 29. Might be worth it if you just have to have nickel or there is something I do not know about that makes them better than the new ones.

No spelun and grammar is not my specialty. So please don't hurt my sensitive little feelings by teasing me about it.
Old November 11, 2013, 06:49 PM   #10
WIN1886

All my center fire Smith's are N frame models....my model 624 w 6.5" barrel chambered for .44 special only is one of my favorite range guns ! I wish I could find a 4" version !
Old November 11, 2013, 07:28 PM   #11
Bob Wright

A Highway Patrolman?

Bob Wright
Old November 11, 2013, 08:54 PM   #12
Obambulate

There is massive confusion because the title says Model 28, which is the N-frame .357, but the first post makes it clear the lady loved shooting .44 Specials through the N-frame Model 29.

She wants the "nice gentle push" of the .44 Special in a large-frame revolver.
Old November 11, 2013, 09:59 PM   #13
Chaz88

Quote:
She wants the "nice gentle push" of the .44 Special in a large-frame revolver.
In that case I would go with the 29 in a 6" or 8&3/8 if you like it better. Personally I would also opt for nickel because I think it looks much better than stainless. The problem will be finding one in her price range that is not junk. Might need to move over to a used Rugger, or something else, to get into the price range.

Old November 11, 2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Lost Sheep

Welcome to the forum and thanks for asking our advice

Wyosmith gave a very comprehensive post, save for one thing. The Super Redhawk was not mentioned.

The SRH has one, singular advantage over the standard Redhawk (and the Smith and other Double-action 44 magnums) There is no backstrap limiting the shape of the grip (the grip mounts on a post rather than a full grip frame). This means you may be able to find aftermarket grips that let your trigger finger operate more comfortably.

The trigger pull is not as refined as on the Smith, but it can be smoothed up considerably very cheaply by a gunsmith or by simply shooting the heck out of it (or dry firing).

Good luck.
Old November 12, 2013, 11:35 AM   #15
dgludwig

Though discontinued, fairly hard to find and on the pricey side, the L-frame, five-shot, Smith & Wesson Model 696, chambered in .44 Special and having a 3" barrel, might be the revolver that best suits what you have in mind. It's fairly compact for a .44 Special (and robust enough to handle +P loads) but a little on the heavy side due to its s/s construction. The revolver is fitted with adjustable sights, always a plus imo, unless you intend to pocket carry or draw from deep cover when the adjustables pose a snag factor.

In any event, welcome to The Firing Line!
Old November 12, 2013, 08:09 PM   #16
mrray13

Don't forget the Charter Arms Bulldog. Not as refined as a S&W, but a decent gun nonetheless, and well under $700 last I checked.
Old November 15, 2013, 04:15 PM   #17
sandbag

Other N frames

The Model 22-4 is an N Frame-it is a 45 ACP/Auto Rim and a somewhat remake of the Army Model of 1950-also it is called the Thunder Ranch Revolver-unlike the 1950 model,it has a partially lugged barrel.There is a44 Special version on an N Frame also-Model 21?I'm not sure but I know they made one in that caliber at the same time.
Old November 15, 2013, 05:46 PM   #18
ammo.crafter

Large framw wheel guns

I absolutely find my S&W 57 the most accurate wheel gun I have ever handled.
The 41 mad cartridge is a reloader's dream. I reduced the case length 1/10th of an inch and the powder loads accordingly, thereby creating a .41 Special.

It's a light recoiling round that is surprisingly accurate.

Of course, the aforementioned is predicated upon your desire to reload and fabricate cases.
Old November 15, 2013, 06:05 PM   #19
saleen322

They are out there. I found this pre-model 28 Highway Patrolman in a local ad and got it for less than $400. The guy sold it cheap because it was carried a lot and the finish was not perfect and some gun shop told him they would only go like $200 on it. The bore was like new, the action is tight, and it shoots great. Make sure you check local ads and good luck.

Old November 15, 2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Baba Louie

Do not overlook an N-Frame in .45acp please (25 and 625 series and I think the 22?). You can at least buy .45acp relatively inexpensively when compared to the .44's, it's a big bore with more of a push than snap.

Of course, price on those are kind of more than your budget. Might also look for a Brazilian Model of 1937, an adaption of the older 1917.

Or save up and look for a Thunder Ranch 21 in .44 spl ignoring the gold trim out.

Just cruised gunbroker and boy howdy have prices gone up on S&W N-Frames! Start saving up now.

As others have pointed out, if you like single actions the world opens up to include older cowboy loads like 44-40 or .45Colt. Reloading does help take some sting out of the ammo pricing should you go .44 or .45Colt.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old November 16, 2013, 10:34 AM   #21
Bart Noir

Since none of you mentioned the issue of round-butt versus square-butt N-Frames, I'll do it.

All current N-Frames, and probably all those younger than 10-years old, are round-butt. With the round-butt, the chances are better for a person with smaller hands to find grips that are just-right.

As it happens I am searching for grips to replace the rubbers that came on the 1980 Highway Patrolman I recently bought. I'm leaning heavily toward the Classic model sold by Eagle Grips.

Anybody use those grips on an N-Frame?

Bart Noir
Who loves the N-Frames, old action or new, fixed or adjustable sights etc.
Old November 16, 2013, 11:08 AM   #22
LE-28

I don't know where you live but if you lived around me in North Carolina I could hook you up with a next to new S&W Model 25 Classic in 45 long colt with beautiful narrow walnut factory grips for $650.00.

It's price has been reduced twice now. There is barely a turn line on the cylinder.

Those narrow grips would be ideal for a lady over the normal target grips that usually comes on them.
Old November 16, 2013, 08:21 PM   #23
22-rimfire

I would get a M29 or M629 (stainless) in either a 4" or 6" (ish). You can shoot the 44 Specials in it and it will handle the recoil very nicely. Then you can slowly work up to 44 mags.

Other choices.... Colt Anaconda (discontinued years ago), Charter Arms Bulldog, Dan Wesson (used market), Taurus, and Ruger. I would probably be looking at either Ruger or S&w personally. A 4" Ruger Redhawk (stainless) would make a fun shooter and much less expensive than the M29 or 629. They are good, but aren't fitted as nicely as Smiths. Your choice... your money....

Tags
44 mag , comparable , price , s&w