The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 3, 2016, 12:19 AM   #1
rdnewland

S&W Model 60 Sight Problem

My new, stock, M60 3" has the rear sight adjusted down tight against the frame and still shoots about 3" high at 15'. I have owned a number of S&W revolvers with adjustable sights and have never encountered sights that weren't somewhere close to point of aim in the middle of the adjustment range. The rear sight appears to have the lowest stock blade available and the front sight is the taller stock S&W version. Any ideas on how to resolve this problem? Thanks.
Old March 3, 2016, 12:27 AM   #2
ms6852

Please send pictures of gun, side view pictures of front and rear sights will help.
Old March 3, 2016, 09:11 AM   #3
SmokinTom

First of all its not exactly a target gun. Second of all you know right where it shoots so why is it a problem ?
Old March 3, 2016, 09:27 AM   #4
rodfac

Call S&W customer service, they'll probably send you a FEDEX label and fix it for you at their expense, I'm betting. They're very good about making the gun right, especially a new gun. I've got the same 3" M60 and do have adequate adjustment range for 125 gr and 158 gr bullets, mild to wild velocities too.

Most of my Smiths over the years (50+ now) have been back to the factory service dept. for some action tweaking..usually for different sights, and in one case a different barrel. This was back in the 80's and 90's when labor costs were a lot cheaper. They weren't broken, I just found their work and prices too good to pass up. By far the majority of the work cost me nothing.

Most recently, a 25 yo 3" M36 had its cylinder stop replaced for a dragging issue, and also my wife's new 637 would lock up after 4 shots had been fired. Both guns (within the last two years) were sent and worked on at Smith's expense including shipping, and I had them back in less than two weeks. That 637 also returned with a DA trigger that has to the best I've ever had in a J-frame. Their customer service is truly first rate.

If you don't want to call them, or have a custom gunsmith install a taller front sight (which is what you'll need), try 125 gr bullets as opposed to 158's. For me, (and I have a fairly hard grip with two hands on the gun), the impact point with the lighter bullet is 1" to 1.5" lower at 15 yds from a Weaver Stance.

Along those lines, a tighter grip on the gun will help with elevation issues. I grip it as tight as I can...just to the point where a tremor begins. Really helps with repeat shots too in SD shooting practice.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; March 3, 2016 at 09:33 AM.
Old March 3, 2016, 09:47 AM   #5
Driftwood Johnson

Howdy

Learn something every day. I didn't even know they were making a Model 60 with adjustable sights. I guess they started doing that sometime in the 1990s while I wasn't looking.

My Model 60 no dash from sometime in the 1970s is the original configuration.

Old March 3, 2016, 09:57 AM   #6
Jim Watson

Has your M60 3" got a blade front sight cross pinned into the ramp?

If so, Dawson makes replacements from .145" to .350" tall; plain black, fibre optic, and tritium night sight. Not all sights in all widths and heights, but there are a lot of choices.
https://dawsonprecision.com/s-w-pinn...-front-sights/
Old March 3, 2016, 11:38 AM   #7
buck460XVR

What are you shooting for ammo?
Old March 6, 2016, 10:00 AM   #8
Real Gun

I would return it. Changing front sights is a workaround for the real problem. I would hope for them offering a new gun with a barrel set true.
Old March 8, 2016, 01:16 PM   #9
243winxb

Light bullets, 110/125 gr at higher velocity may shoot lower.
Old March 10, 2016, 10:28 PM   #10
GunsNLoaded

Call Smith.
Old March 10, 2016, 11:31 PM   #11
Skeets
Member in memoriam

The guys are spot on! S&W will fix it right,and back to you ASAP!

Tags
3" barrel , adjustable sights , m60 , s&w