The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 10, 2014, 12:11 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

Where to find .260 Remington Managed Recoil ammo

I've looked everywhere. Never seen even a single box on a dealer's shelf, and all of the on-line web-sites are sold-out with no back-ordering allowed. Got a youngster that needs to use the wife's rifle for her first hunting trip.

Thanx, Dave.

PS - I don't reload.
Old August 10, 2014, 12:46 PM   #2
JD0x0

Recoil from the .260 rem is fairly mild, which is my guess why it's hard to find 'reduced recoil' ammo. Not many folks need it. What makes you think recoil would be too much? Has she shot the rifle yet?
If you can find factory ammo with lighter bullets, recoil will be less than that of heavier (140 grain) loads.
I'm not aware of any reduced recoil ammo other than Remington's "managed recoil" load, which doesn't seem to be in stock anywhere.
Old August 10, 2014, 01:01 PM   #3
Mosin-Marauder

Your kid probably doesn't need reduced recoil rounds. If you hand load. Load some moderate loads. I was 8 when I got my Remington 700 .260, my first rifle. The recoil is manageable, even for a youngster. As long as she doesn't put her eye right up to the scope, I made that mistake, thankfully it only bumped my nose. If recoil is that much of a concern, get a recoil pad.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 11, 2014, 01:35 AM   #4
BluRidgDav

Guys,

I asked where I could find a factory made product. Not, what you think my kid needs. And what part of "I don't reload" was too complex to understand?

Still looking for a solid lead on some .260 Remington Managed Recoil ammo.

Thanx, Dave.
Old August 11, 2014, 02:06 AM   #5
trg42wraglefragle

Well to start with I would Google "260 Reduced loads",
If most online shops don't have stock, any local gun store probably won't either.

Then you could perhaps consider reloading, or that your daughter may not need it, or any other options these fine folk offer you.

I once found a box of ammo I forgot about under my bed. Perhaps check there?
Old August 11, 2014, 09:13 AM   #6
Mosin-Marauder

The 120 grain bullet in these provides less recoil. And they're deer hunting ammo.
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/59191
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 11, 2014, 12:32 PM   #7
603Country

Somewhere within a reasonable distance of the OP, there is probably someone that will custom load ammo for that 260. I know a guy here in Texas that does it.

Aside from custom reloaders, I did clearly understand that the OP doesn't reload. However...a basic Lee loader, and pound of powder (4350), 100 primers, some brass, and some 100 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips isn't a big dollar hit. And you too can become a small time reloader of reduced loads for that rifle.

Last option is to drive to central Texas (call first) and we'll reload for ya in my workshop and then test the ammo on my 100 yard range. And then have a beer.
Old August 11, 2014, 12:46 PM   #8
JD0x0

FWIW, I just did some calculations, and 'full powered' 100 grain factory loads at 3200fps develop roughly as much recoil as Remington's "managed recoil" 140 grain load @ 2360FPS in equal weight rifles.

So this..

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/142...oint-box-of-20

Pretty much recoils as much as this.. (or any other 100 grain loads, at the same velocity)
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/324...ProductFinding
Old August 11, 2014, 12:53 PM   #9
Mosin-Marauder

OP, I have some loads I use in my .260 for 5 years that are very low recoil. If you want, I'd be willing to send you a few. They're for deer hunting aswell.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 11, 2014, 09:47 PM   #10
stolivar

Just don't mail it to him

That would probably help him out a lot, but don't go through the Mail system with ammo.

steve
Old August 11, 2014, 10:01 PM   #11
Mosin-Marauder

Yeah I had somebody USPS me ammo one time without knowing it was going by USPS. Just figured out the other day all the trouble I could have gotten in
If the OP would like that, I would send it UPS. The rounds are all perfectly safe and loaded by my father to shoot in my .260 and were developed with recoil in mind.
William Tecumseh Sherman
Old August 11, 2014, 11:19 PM   #12
taylorce1

Shipper is the one that would get in trouble. The shipper is required to have everything properly labeled and use the correct carrier, not the person on the receiving end. So I doubt you would have to do anything but maybe answer a few questions.

Is your father a licensed ammunition manufacturer? If he isn't there is no way I'd shoot any ammunition he made in one of my rifles. Nor should you be offering it up for someone to try. If something were to happen he could be held liable for any injuries and damages. It isn't that I don't believe your father's reloading practices aren't sound and he doesn't load good ammunition, it just isn't worth the risk.
Old August 11, 2014, 11:24 PM   #13
Mosin-Marauder

Which is why I offered it to him. I'm not saying "Here, shoot this ammo because it might not be safe." I'm saying "Here this ammo is safe, I understand if you don't want it." I don't shoot other people's reloads. But outside of reloading it himself, I doubt he has much other option for reduced recoil loads. The offer's there, I understand if you don't trust me or my father.

On the other hand, if you fail to find any reduced recoil loads, I have a slip on Recoil pad from limbsaver I use for my Mosin-Nagant I could let you borrow. Providing you send it back. Both offers are there.
William Tecumseh Sherman

Last edited by Mosin-Marauder; August 11, 2014 at 11:29 PM.
Old August 12, 2014, 08:34 AM   #14
taylorce1

What I'm saying is free doesn't relieve your father of the liability if something were to happen. Ammunition makers carry huge insurance policies for this reason as even they screw up from time to time. A few years back someone posted pictures of a blown up Ruger and they used factory ammunition.

I understand you're trying to help a guy out and that is commendable. Just be sure you understand what you could be on the hook for if something were to happen. I'm sure the OP will find something that'll work for the young hunter.