The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 4, 2014, 10:24 AM   #1
std7mag

Hi Point Jamming...

I have a Hi Point in 40 S&W. Sometimes, not often, I get a jam. Looking over the issue, it seems to me to be a magazine issue, not a gun issue.
There seems to be a lot of space fore and aft for the cartridges to move in the magazine.
Has anyone tried putting a spacer in the front of the magazine to remedy this?

Thoughts???
Old January 4, 2014, 10:30 AM   #2
ttarp

What flavor of jam? I've had the occasional fail to feed due to rounds getting bound up in the magazine, thats not so much a magazine issue as just making sure the bullets are seated properly when loading.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:38 AM   #3
std7mag

It's not a "stove pipe" where you have problems with ejection. I would guess a failure to feed. Seems like round coming out of magazine is too far forward, and gets caught at a weird angle. Slide pulls it from magazine, but doesn't align with the ramp correctly.
Just in looking at the magazine, with it loaded, from the top, the rounds seem to be moving forward, and cocking at a different angle from what the lip on the magazine would have it do.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Ozzieman

It would help to know what kind of jam.
Can you tell us anything about the gun? Has it been fired much and how maintained is it?
A friend had one and fired it a good amount and started having problems. When I looked at it the thing was a mess. Too much oil and full of crap because he didn’t have the tools to take it apart.
I drove the roll pin and we cleaned it up and it worked fine after that. (Knock out a roll pin to dissemble a gun).
What kind of rounds were you shooting?
Mags are designed to have some play in them fore and aft to handle many different kinds of rounds. Your mag could be the problem but probably not from that kind problem.
Do you have another mag to try?
Is it at a certain point in the number of rounds in the mag?
Have you cleaned and oiled your mag?

Editing
We seem to have entered at the same time.

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:44 AM   #5
Ozzieman

Doesn’t align with the ramp correctly?
Off to the side, too low or too high?

Did you hear about the latest study.....5 out of 6 liberals say that Russian Roulette is safe.
Old January 4, 2014, 10:50 AM   #6
std7mag

Bought the gun used. $150 including holster. Don't know the history of it.

When I got home, I got on Youtube and watched the process for cleaning.
Got a punch small enough from my local Matco Tools dealer (I'm an auto mechanic by trade).

Thing was filthy!!! Gave it a good scrubbing, oiled lightly, and reassembled. Hi Point I believe recommends cleaning 300-400 rounds.

I clean every time I come home from the range.

Magazine is stamped steel, and spot welded. Don't know exactly how to clean down in, and oil.

Shooting American Eagle 165gr. FMJ.

I have only had 3 jams with it, that with 3 boxes of ammo. Doesn't seem like a high number, but when I want/need it to work, I want/need it every time.
Old January 4, 2014, 11:04 AM   #7
AirCool65

Hi Point's have a lifetime warranty. Send it back to them and have it looked at.
I understand that their customer service is very good.
Old January 4, 2014, 11:17 AM   #8
pgdion

I agree, try a new magazine. My 22A started acting up.The slide wouldn't lock back on an empty mag, you'd have to touch the slide lock and it would pop up. seemed sticky but repeated cleaning did not fix the problem. It happened equally with both magazines. I finally bought two new magazines ... yep, the problem went away.
Old January 4, 2014, 12:28 PM   #9
osbornk

Good place for information

http://www.hipointfirearmsforums.com/forum/index.php
Old January 4, 2014, 12:51 PM   #10
jaytothekizzay

I also had a c-9 that jammed so much, it was not even worth trying to shoot. Ive seen other hipoints act the same... no offence, but you get what u pay for
Old January 4, 2014, 01:08 PM   #11
ttarp

^Way to contribute, good troubleshooting there. If trying new magazines doesn't solve the issue you should consider sending it to hi point to fix.
Old January 4, 2014, 02:05 PM   #12
filthy phil

Im with jay. Sorry, but those things are notorious for problems
Old January 4, 2014, 04:24 PM   #13
CajunBass

I never had a lot of trouble with the Hi-Point 9mm I had, but I also noticed that the magazine seemed like it could be one. I started to load the magazine, then slaped the back of the magazine against the palm of my hand to "set" the rounds.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if that fixed anything or not, but (1) it was cheap (free), and (2) didn't hurt anything. Give it a try.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old January 4, 2014, 05:07 PM   #14
Onward Allusion

The only problem I had with a Hi Point C9 was with the 10-round mag that it came with. I bought the C9 used.

Rather than spending a bunch of time on tweaking the mag lips or even polishing the ramp, I'd just picked up a bunch of brand new 8 round mags. Never had a problem with that gun from that point forward. From what I'd read, most of the problems come from the mags. The gun itself is a pretty simple design.

I picked up a HP 45 a while back. Never ever had a problem with that one. Used a bunch of different (new) mags on it too. Maybe I'm just lucky. 2 HP's and both work fine. Hundreds of rounds with both.

The reason I picked up the HP's wasn't for SD or HD. I bought it because I wanted to prove to myself whether HP's are really a POS or that the Internet Ninjas are full of it. Well . . .
Old January 4, 2014, 07:47 PM   #15
std7mag

Funds (or lack thereof) were definitely on my mind when I bought this. Had to put it on lay-away as it was.

I like the gun itself. Rear sight adjustable was a surprise. Shoots accurately enough. Probably better than I am capable of. Definitely need more practice/ training.
Old January 4, 2014, 08:12 PM   #16
In memory of dad

High point

If you got 150 dollars up, surely you could of saved a little more money and got something of more quality cause now you going buy mags or send it back which cost money.
Sorry for your problem but there basically not 100 percent reliable and Internet is your best friend in reading up on them before buying one.
Old January 4, 2014, 08:23 PM   #17
Onward Allusion

std7mag,

A couple things . . .

Definitely check out the Hi Point Forum. You are not the first or last to have mag issues. Issue is most likely the feed lips. There are actually diagrams with angle measurements...etc...out there that will supposedly fix most mag issues.

Second, try fully loading the mag and let it sit for a few days to a week. That is what I did with my C9 magazines BEFORE I'd even used them. This is a quick fix/test.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:42 PM   #18
Sheriff Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by filthy phil
Im with jay. Sorry, but those things are notorious for problems
Are you sure they are notorious for their problems or is it just the vocal minority. It could just be the vocal minority that is voicing their problems when the majority of people are just content and do not feel the need to come online and praise the high heavens about their new high point. In life, it is much easier to complain than to compliment. I have no experience with this weapon though so I don't know what's right or wrong, just making an observation.

The best options would be try a new magazine and if not that than send it in. It never hurts to have more than one magazine per gun anyway, so it wouldn't be a bad investment.
Old January 4, 2014, 09:47 PM   #19
James K
Member In Memoriam

My limited experience has been that Hi Points are very reliable, though often awkward and heavy. If the magazine is factory, I would send the gun back to Hi Point, as others advise. If the magazine is not factory, then I would first try a factory magazine.

Jim
Old January 4, 2014, 10:06 PM   #20
PT-92

Quote:
jaytothekizzay

I also had a c-9 that jammed so much, it was not even worth trying to shoot. Ive seen other hipoints act the same... no offence, but you get what u pay for
That's so true as the same applies to some of the "comments/advice" we see in the "free" forums...
Old January 4, 2014, 10:48 PM   #21
IdahoG36

Quote:
If you got 150 dollars up, surely you could of saved a little more money and got something of more quality cause now you going buy mags or send it back which cost money.
Sorry for your problem but there basically not 100 percent reliable and Internet is your best friend in reading up on them before buying one.
^^^
Grammar and spelling go a long ways when trying to get your point across.

As to the OP's choice of firearm, that isn't the topic here. For some people, a Hi Point may be the only means of defense that meets their budget. There are not too many other pistols available in that price range.

As to the jamming issue, as others have stated, if changing ammo, magazines, or a good cleaning doesn't take care of the issue, I would look at sending it back to the factory. They do carry a lifetime warranty, and it is very important that your primary SD gun works reliably every time.

I am not sure if Hi Point will cover the shipping charges for warranty repairs. If they don't, I would honestly look at selling the Hi Point and purchasing another. Sometimes shipping can run $80-$100 round trip for a firearm, and at that point it just wouldn't be worth it.
Old January 4, 2014, 11:09 PM   #22
Dc777

I've great results with my hi point 45..... Have you polished the feed ramp.

Paintings were made to look at, and guns were made to be shot. If you aren't going to use them as they are intended for, get rid of them and buy a Picasso.
Old January 5, 2014, 06:41 AM   #23
fallingrock71

I think everyone pretty much covered it. Check out the Hi point forums and videos on you tube. Polish the feed ramp. May have to tweak the feed lips on the magazine slightly. After you load a magazine, tap the back of the loaded mag on the palm of your hand to set the bullets. Being a mechanic, your gun should be golden in no time. Worst case, you send it back to Hi Point and they'll make it right. Heck, you may even get a free magazine for your troubles.

Hi Points are a great value. I hate to see people put em down. Sure they may need a little tinkering right out of the box, but hell, I'd put up with a minor amount of tinkering with any gun if it would cut the price in half or more.

I was on a strict budget when I bought my c9. It was Hi Point or no gun at all at the time. I did my homework and really never had a problem with it. Thankfully, my financial situation and my gun collection has improved significantly. Still have that c9 and will never sell it. Good stuff.
Old January 5, 2014, 12:43 PM   #24
std7mag

Like I had said, I actually really like the gun. Plan on keeping it.

Will check out the Hi Point forums(didn't know before this that there actually was one).

Thank you all for your responses!!