The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 14, 2016, 09:57 PM   #1
Nubia

Springfield 1911 a1 loaded not ejecting

I was at the range today and I had two ejection issues where, I believe it was the last round in the magazine the shell didn't eject. I am not sure if its a magazine issue or an ejector problem. any ideas or help would be gratefully appreciated. I have attached two pictures of the said issue.
Old February 14, 2016, 10:39 PM   #2
P71pilot

I am no gunsmith, but have opened my 1911 up and replaced/fitted a trigger. I also have a Springfield loaded model 1911 .45, made in 2013-2014. Can you please explain what happened in better detail, also I see no pictures, but am on the forum via my android phone, although I usually can see peoples pictures. With what basic information you are giving, I would guess it probably not a magazine issue, as a magazine issue would likely only cause failures to feed and things like that, but how far does the slide come back when this happens? Also how old is the pistol and approximately how many rds through it? Also how often do you clean it and do you clean it well?
Old February 14, 2016, 11:54 PM   #3
Jim Watson

LAST ROUND failure to eject is frequently an extractor problem.
Old February 15, 2016, 02:42 PM   #4
RGPM1A

Just bought a Springfield 9mm Loaded the other day. Took it to the range and had numerous failure to extract/eject failures. Did not matter how many rounds were in the mag. It was just a matter of tuning up the extractor. It was way, way too loose from the factory. BTW the extractor was properly beveled and polished from the factory - it was just not enough tension. Did the tune up at the range (increased the bend in the extractor) and put it back together and it worked fine.
Old February 15, 2016, 04:31 PM   #5
shaunpain

Tune your extractor! It's easy to do!
Old February 15, 2016, 04:40 PM   #6
Toney

I had to tune the extractor on my new springer mil spec before it made it through a full mag...

It's easy to tune one, you just pull it half way or so out of the slide and tweak on it. I was afraid of it snapping off but it didn't. ..
Old February 15, 2016, 04:41 PM   #7
dahermit

Quote:
I have attached two pictures of the said issue.
No you didn't.
Old February 15, 2016, 06:18 PM   #8
pblanc

Agree it is probably the extractor. You can do the simple poor man's "shake" test for extractor tension. Here are some extractor tuning tips and info on the shake test from Bill Wilson:

http://www.m1911.org/technic2.htm

There are a bunch of youtube videos on extractor tension tuning as well.
Old February 15, 2016, 09:37 PM   #9
P71pilot

I got my new extractor (ed brown standard, all the food ones were out of stock) in the mail today. There is nothing wrong with mine but I figured it would be the first part to fail, after the springs. Also need to get a spare ejector
Old February 15, 2016, 11:17 PM   #10
Nubia

sorry but the pictures will not upload for some reason.... I do appreciate all the advise and suggestions. It seems like i need to simply tune the extractor and buying an extra wont be a bad idea either. again, thank you everyone!
Old February 17, 2016, 10:11 PM   #11
michael t

I agree on extractor. Lot of the cheaper 1911 use a MIM extractor and they don't hold proper tension a lot of time. Buy a good steel extractor from Wilson or others Install with a good tight fitting firing pin stop to hold extractor from clocking . and all be right with the world