The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 5, 2013, 07:18 PM   #26
olddav

I'm one of the lucky ones.
My wife wanted a gun.
I found a 357 mag w/3 inch barrel.
I knew she could handle it because she shoots my 44 mag.
Too easy!
Old February 5, 2013, 08:02 PM   #27
pax

bonefamily ~

Please forgive me! Rereading my post, it does come across as a lot more harsh than I really intended, and a lot more personal than I ever meant. I was trying to share an experience I'd had recently, with a new shooter who'd been told (and believed) that a little gun would be easiest to shoot. The snark in my post truly was not directed at anyone in this thread, but at the nameless-other who'd set that particular person up for a bad experience on the range. (And truly? Most folks don't think that much about this stuff, so even that get chalked up to "didn't know any better, trying their best.")

Hope that makes sense, and we're good.

pax,

Kathy
Old February 5, 2013, 08:38 PM   #28
steveNChunter

What about a Ruger LCR .38spl? Not +p loads though

Or even the new LCR .22 mag if she wants no recoil at all

Last edited by steveNChunter; February 6, 2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old February 5, 2013, 09:32 PM   #29
bonefamily

Thanks for the post, Kathy - and by all means no hard feelings at all! I understand what you are saying and agree 100%, but just thought your reply was directed to the thread.

My wife is almost finished with your book and is learning alot from it. She is almost sold on the fact that the safest place to keep her firearm is on her person. She is looking into different holsters now.

I apologize if I came accross a bit harsh myself (not meaning to), but I was just wanting to clear the air, if it was a bit mucked up some... but it is not so all is good

Thank you.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:12 PM   #30
harathor

My girlfriend really likes my smith and wesson model 65 with a 4 in barral in 357, but she also likes 45 lc, and 45 acp a lot so this may be a bad example, but maybe a 3 in model 65 loaded with 38 special may work well.
Old February 6, 2013, 11:19 PM   #31
Mezzanine

Once upon a time i got a USP variant 7, my girlfriend liked it but opted for variant 1 with a DA/SA and a manual safety. And im not afraid to admit, she shoots tighter groups than me in a USP vs USP shoot off. Given the DAO vs DA/SA factors (that first shot is always a "flier" for her), it still shows how with proper technique size does not matter, for reference shes 5'8 125. I know this is not a carry sized weapon, just an example of what trigger time and technique will do for you. For redemption i have to add that my favorite handgun vs hers i will always shoot better groups. My mancard is safe for now.
Old February 7, 2013, 08:49 AM   #32
Tactical Jackalope

Speaking of Hk. My aunt carries a USP 45 lol.

Just saying.

She left LE about 2 years ago.

Sent from my phone...expect typos.