The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 7, 2011, 04:35 PM   #1
Azby

Help With Bolt Knob

Hi guys. This is my first time on the forum. I've been reading for a few days and this seems like a much more civil and knowledgable group than some.

My question. I replaced the bolt knob on a Rem. 700 with a Badger Ordnance knob. I don't have a mill anymore so I did it the old way with a grinder, file and a die. Well I apparently don't have the hand skills I once had and kind of buggered the bolt handle where it meets the knob. Is there any type of hand tool (say, similar to a die) that could be used to clean this up? Or am I stuck with the magnifier and the file? Thanks.

(I don't want to take it to a gunsmith because its embarrassing. I used to be the gunsmith for my whole shooting group.)
Old June 7, 2011, 05:39 PM   #2
GURU1911

BOLT HANDLE

DON'T BE ASHAMED, BRO----WE ALL HAVE SINNED & FALLEN SHORT OF THE GLORY OF JOHN M. BROWNING !!!!! LOL---HAHA

SERIOUSLY THOUGH, SEND THE WHOLE SHE-BANG TO SOMEONE (maybe in this forum section) WHO CAN TIG WELD THE PARTS TOGETHER, DRESS DOWN THE WELD, & MAKE IT ONCE AGAIN FUNCTIONAL.

SWALLOW YOUR PRIDE & ACCEPT WHATEVER HELP IS ON THE WAY. I BET THAT "SCORCH" OR JIM KEENAN, CAN OFFER A CORRECTION TO THIS SITUATION IF YOU SHIP IT TO THEM. HELP IS ON THE WAY----SOUND THE CHARGE BUGLER !!!!!!

GURU1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"

Last edited by GURU1911; June 9, 2011 at 09:52 AM.
Old June 8, 2011, 01:15 PM   #3
Azby

The bolt is completely functional and works well. The only problem is the bolt arm is a little buggered up where it meets the knob. I was just wondering if anybody knew if a tool is available to clean this up. I'm quite lazy and don't want to get out the files, wet/dry paper and the magnifier (plus the time) to fix this. Thanks.
Old June 8, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
GURU1911

AZBY:

Dude: Please choose one of the following options:

A. Leave it like it is & be happy
b. Correct the problem yourself & then be happy
c. Ship the bolt assembly to someone who can cosmetically make the improvements, pay for their services, & then be happy with the results.

The choice is yours. Whatever you decide, the members of this forum will support your right to choose the course of action that suits you.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 8, 2011, 08:01 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Well, I am not active as a gunsmith any more and don't have a license, so I can't help. But if I did have that bolt and it is as you describe, I think I would reach for a special gunsmith's tool known as a file. In other words, I just might do exactly what you are considering doing except that I would charge for it.

Jim
Old June 10, 2011, 11:56 AM   #6
Azby

Hi Jim,
I used to charge people to do things like this. I also used to have a milling machine to do them. I guess its bite the bullet (yeah, every pun intended ) and get out the file. Thanks guys.
Old June 10, 2011, 12:55 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

I once had someone tell me, "Jaysus, yez cudda dun it wile yez was yakking bout wat yez wuz gonna do." He had a point.

Jim