The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 21, 2009, 08:47 PM   #26
zippy13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterengineer
Why can I never find a deal like that?
Why, you ask... Can you spell P-a-l-m--B-e-a-c-h? That's why.
Sorry, I couldn't resist.
Old May 21, 2009, 09:16 PM   #27
eastbank

oneounceload, i don,t know for sure but it came with a few older boxes of shells and they are 23/4. i will have it checked before fireing it, it is marked smokeless powder steel. serial number is 3665xx chokes are 2 and 4. eastbank.
Old May 22, 2009, 06:54 AM   #28
oneounceload

eastbank - just remember, a 2-3/4 inch shell will fit easily into a 2-1/2 in ch gun, until you fire and then the extra length can cause pressure problems. If it is marked 2-3/4 on the gun, no problem; otherwise, IMO, it doesn't hurt to have a smith verify the chamber and give it a good once over
Old May 22, 2009, 08:53 AM   #29
Savage99

Hammermap,

Welcome to the forum.

I am also a fan of side by side double barreled shotguns. I see that the Remington spr is only with a single trigger? If this is correct then I would look for a gun with two or as we say 'double' triggers.

The CZ has double triggers however at its $800 price there are some nice used guns out there. Recently I picked up a like new Spanish made 20 ga Ugartechea for half the asking price of the CZ and before that a fine Bernadelli. Look around and try the guns yourself to see how they fit you.

Old May 22, 2009, 10:43 AM   #30
SeekHer

One thing that should be noted is that most of the American shotguns are made in Italy, Japan, Turkey or Hungary...that being the case you might as well buy a foreign label...

If the skies the limit then any English/Scottish bespoke maker will suffice--Holland & Holland, Westley Richards, James Purdey, BOSS, Churchill, David McKay Brown, Dickson & MacNaughton and most of the Italian houses as well...prices will begin in the $85,000 range for field grade guns...

Also don't forget the German gunmakers out of Ferlach like Peter Hofer or Hambrush! There are also some fine Belgium and French makers Lebeau Corally, Vernay Cheron and Spanish makers like AYA who make bespoke quality pieces...

When the human race dies out, it will be because it was brainwashed to be so totally, completely, utterly safe that it no longer dared to keep on living
Old May 22, 2009, 12:59 PM   #31
Hammermap

well thank you all for your input. Someone had mentioned that i did not give a lot of information, and you are absolutely correct. When i went back and reread what i posted i realized i never really mentioned how much i was looking to spend, and therefore got a few suggestions out of my price range.

Basically, i am looking for the best new side-by-side, to be used for small game, for about $1000. lol hopefully that clears it up a bit

Last edited by Hammermap; May 22, 2009 at 01:17 PM.