The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 8, 2006, 09:09 PM   #1
oldmikb45

Bullets for Rem. 700 30-06

I will be going on a black bear hunt and want to hear some suggestions
for bullets to load with. Shooting range will be from 20 to 150 yards
outfitter says to try for shoulder shot to break animal down I am thinking of Speer grand slams or
Trophpy Bonded Bear Claw any Suggestions?

Last edited by oldmikb45; March 9, 2006 at 02:09 PM.
Old March 11, 2006, 01:33 PM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Well, from experience and from reading, plus some input in the hunting forum from a Sierra person, I'd be completely confident with a Sierra 180-grain Spitzer or the SPBT.

I'd prefer a 180 over a 150, just for penetration due to heavier retained weight. If I had any notion of "neck shots only", most any old spitzer bullet of 150 grains or more would do.

Art
Old March 12, 2006, 05:37 PM   #3
remdude

bear load

I shoot a 165 gr sierra btsp in a rem mtn rifle, works great to 200yd.
Old March 13, 2006, 09:26 PM   #4
Ben Shepherd

Any heavily constructed 180 that is accurate in YOUR rifle should be fine.

Go shoot a few and keep the most accurate.

NRA certified rifle, pistol and shotgun instructor.
Hunter education instructor

Last edited by Ben Shepherd; March 15, 2006 at 11:30 PM.
Old March 14, 2006, 12:54 AM   #5
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Black Bear Bullets

oldmikb45, I'm certain either the Speer Grand Slams or Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets would do a fine job on any black bear. With all possible respect to Art and the other posters, I'll mention: Bearing [heh heh] in mind that black bears are not nearly so bulky as the brown, grizzly, or polar bears, I'm not at all sure the 180 gr bullets are entirely necessary. The 180s can't be driven as fast from the .30'06 as the 165s, and bit more velocity translates into a flatter trajectory, in case the hunter is compelled to take a long range shot.

As Elder Son and I prepared to go elk hunting, I had a nice chat with a Sierra technician. I mentioned I'd probably load some of ES's 180 Game Kings to take along for my backup rifle. The tech advised against it, saying I'd probably be disappointed in the 180's expansion at '06 velocities at anything much beyond 100 yards. Customers using 165s on elk are generally far happier.

I've taken only one bear, a large brownish black bear in Western Colorado. I used a Ruger .30'06 with a 165 gr. Sierra GameKing BTHP, loaded to about 2750 fps. Impact was immediately in front of the left shoulder and the fully expanded bullet stopped against the left rear of the rib cage. Distance was about 120 yards. Bear turned and ran about 25 yards before falling dead.

If I had it to do over again, I believe I'd load the 165 GK spitzer. I'm glad to have recovered the bullet, but I really prefer a hole in both sides, in case tracking is necessary. Perhaps I should add that my M77 '06 has only a 22" barrel, and I realize I'm not getting all the velocity possible from my loads.

There's some outstanding information and anatomical illustrations at - -
http://www.theidahosportsman.com/bear%20anatomy.pdf

Best of luck on your bear hunt.
Johnny