The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 6, 2005, 08:30 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Bore Light...Who needs one? me?

I have always took fairly good care of my guns, but now that I am retired, I am finding that I spend more time inside the bore. I used to clean a barrel when I was in the mood, now I do a complete cleaning everytime I return from the range.

I find that it's difficult to get a good look inside the barrel on some guns.

Can some of you readers give me your thoughts on a good bore light? I don't need an x-ray machine, just a decent light so I can see better than holding it up to a cieling light.

thanks
Old January 7, 2005, 09:00 PM   #2
mill hunky

it works

if you have a AA/alum/flashlight. they sell a fiberoptic which mounts on the end of the flashtlight. the fiberoptic is maybe 12" long, it is easy to use from either end of the barrel . i think i got it at walmart. not expensive either. just went to cleaning box, no name on it. this might sound funny, but i can see the bore better if the batteries are used a little. new batteries mark the light harsh on the eyes when looking down the bore. rich
Old January 7, 2005, 09:11 PM   #3
mill hunky

i think it was made by maglight.
Old January 7, 2005, 09:37 PM   #4
wyrdone

Second on the Fiber optic one.

With a AA Maglight it works VERY well. Even better than the bent lexan borelight I used to have. (And it's cheap)

My Borelight and one of those White LED keychain lights go with me to every gun show. Picking out the best from a pile of surplus it helps to have a borelight.
Old January 9, 2005, 04:52 PM   #5
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I didn't think I was going to get any response to my question, then.... here we are. Thanks.

While waiting, I had placed an order with Cabelas for other things. They have a Pelican brand light. It has the bent optic style end too. It also has two colored lens that come with it. Red, and blue-green I think. I was thinking the colored may help eliminate that bright blinding effect mentioned above. This lite was 15 bucks (seems like alot) and it's on B/O so someday maybe I will get to see how well it works. In the meantime, I will look at Wallyworld in the camping/flashlight area to see what they have to offer. I have looked in the firearms acessory area before with no luck.

Keep shooting!!!!
Old January 9, 2005, 06:42 PM   #6
Edward429451

The Mini-Mag LED light conversion has found a home with me. It replaces the halogen(?) bulb and converts it to a white light instead of a yellow light. I too noticed that the halogen bulb with fresh batteries made it hard to see until the batts broke in so to speak.

The LED conversion throws an exceptional white light that really penetrates the darkness with no glare, similar to the cool blue headlights that are out now. Batts last 6 or 8 times as long and the bulb is pretty much unbreakable. You can even use the fiberoptic or lexan angled adaptors on the Mini Mag without any more fuss than stretching it over the lens end.

About 27 bucks and worth every penny.
Old January 9, 2005, 07:27 PM   #7
Doug242ti

Look for something that "diffuses" the pattern, LED ones work well. Defiently avoid something that puts out direct, focused light. Makes it tough to see
Old January 10, 2005, 06:40 PM   #8
Dead-Nuts-Zero

Thanks again.

I have 3 or 4 Maglites but they are all different sizes and rechargable police lights but one. The Polymag I think is my small one but thats an extreemly bright rechargable light, and the best one I own I might add here. Anyway, Are we talking about the AA or maybe AAA with two cells that are kinda like a pocket light/pen light that has the pocket clip on it, and made by maglite?? You turn the bell end to focus and to turn it on and off? If so, is this the same one that they have at Wallmart? Is the curved/bent lens/fiber optic thingie also availible at Wallys? I kinda need one soon and will take a trip to WM if thats where the are being found. Otherwise, maybe Galls would have it? I buy my replacement switches, rubber switch boots, O rings and holster rings etc. from Galls. They have some Maglite parts etc. for different things.

Sorry to make such a big issue on such a small project. Maybe it's cabin feever! One day the sun will shine and the snow will melt!

Thanks to all.
Old January 10, 2005, 09:36 PM   #9
wyrdone

Dead Nuts: It's the standard AA Maglight (takes two and the end twists to focus and turn on and off)

And Walmart sells both the Maglight and the Fiberoptic bore scope that fits onto the flashlight.
Old January 10, 2005, 10:06 PM   #10
Edward429451

Correct on the Mini-Mag, and I got the Mini-Mag LED conversion at a local HVAC supply house (Johnstone Supply) but you can see them & order direct from the manufacturer, TerraLux.

Visit TerraLux at www.Terralux.biz

You're looking for the "MiniStar2"
Old January 11, 2005, 12:33 PM   #11
jefnvk

I bought a Hoppes one for about $4 at Dunhams, that works good.
Old January 13, 2005, 01:41 PM   #12
Dead-Nuts-Zero

I purchased a maglite and purchased seperatly a fiberoptic end to fit it.

The Fiberoptic unit was found in the gun cleaning area at wallyworld at about 6 bucks. Made by Nite Ize, Inc. www.niteize.com 303-449-2576 if anyone want's to take a look.

It fits perfectly and works good. The hose is still a bit difficult, as it is hold memory from being coiled up in the package. I hate to force it too much as I don't know the limits of the optic materials. However I assume it's very flexible and rugged.

Now for the interesting part....When I went to the camping department where they keep the flashlights. In addition to the AA Mag-lite (about 8 bucks with cary holster, batteries and 2 xtra bulbs) I see a little single AAA cell alum. tube lite with rubber grips. A little bigger than keychain size but would work. This has a tailcap switch and the twist "on-off" switch. It was much like the very mini maglites I have seen in the past. It was a single bulb LED. It was a colorful purple (came in many bright colors for you color coordinating gunsmiths) and cost about 3 bucks as I remember.

The LED lite works 10 times better ifor nside the bore where the bright reflections have been a problem (see other post above). But I don't have the flexibility with the LED light as I do the fiberoptic cord. I may try to fit the fiberoptic to the LED and see how it works. The LED was mady by "DORCY" International Columbus, OH. No website listed, and came with battery. I also picked up another Dorcy camping lantern that takes 4-AA's. I only mention this because I found the Dorcy brand to be rather good quality for the price. More "Made in China" items sold for pocket change.

I still have one on it's way from Cabelas. I will have a lite for every gun box with extras...........Thanks for your comments.

Keep Shooting!!!!!!!
Old January 13, 2005, 06:46 PM   #13
AK103K

I usually just put a clean white patch in the action and shine the light from my Scorpion on the patch as I look down the bore. I seem to be able to see things a lot better this way instead of looking into the light from a bore light.
Old January 13, 2005, 07:00 PM   #14
Nortonics

Tried this one from Kleenbore:

But the ultra white LED is just TOO bright, even with the little diffuser that's pasted on the top of the LED. Does not allow fine inspection because the light is just too intense.

Now this ine from Kleenbore works 200% better:

Regular old incandescent bulb emitting slightly more yellow light. Now you can see every detail in the bore and rifling with this one! It ain't sexy like a Mag Light, but gets the job done efficiently, and at a very low cost to boot.
Old January 14, 2005, 12:03 PM   #15
Lonestar.45

I found that my Browning "lightningbug" light works good as a bore light on certain guns. With the bolt out of my M700, it works good. With my SKS broken down, it works good. It does NOT work good on my 30-30, or any weapon where you can't get the light close enough to the chamber end of the barrel (since it doesn't have a flexible fiber-optic attachment). I ought to just break down and get a proper bore light, but for now I'll just redneck it.